SDK?

Oscaruzzo

Website
Visit site
Maybe this has already been discussed (but I couldn't find any info), but what kind (if any) of SDK is planned? I know I can build a cross-compiler and cross-compile everything from scratch (btw, I use linux for development), but a set of precompiled stuff (o a set of scripts to build everything) would greatly simplify the task...

Great. I was looking for this as well. I think it would be better if instructions or some guide on this is stickied or added to some developers faq.

Thanks for the pointer. But it think this will still require some setup for all the specific libraries (and include files)... Will this task be left to every single developer, or a more structured "development environment" is planned?

(btw, maybe I'm being a total noob, I've been away for some years from the forums, just trying to "align" myself with the current situation. Any pointer to any faq will be fine).

Thanks

Oscaruzzo said:
Thanks for the pointer. But it think this will still require some setup for all the specific libraries (and include files)... Will this task be left to every single developer, or a more structured "development environment" is planned?
The tool chain comes with libc and the associated include files. For any other libraries you need to either obtain some kind of development kit/package or compile it yourself with the cross compiler.

Oscaruzzo said:
(btw, maybe I'm being a total noob, I've been away for some years from the forums, just trying to "align" myself with the current situation. Any pointer to any faq will be fine).
There is some stuff on the wiki, but it's a bit sketchy at the moment. A general guide to setting up a cross compiling tool chain on your particular environment (Windows? Linux?) will help.

Would be good to have the necessary OE files, the device conf file and distro conf file and any other patches to the main metadata. Or are these already available somewhere?

SDK on the Open Pandora?

I really look forward getting the Open Pandora. Will it be possible to develop directly on it or do I need to compile the programs on another platform? It would be great if I could have gcc and develop software on the train or the bus directly on the Pandora.

Re: SDK on the Open Pandora?

Yep. This has been talked about before, it should not be a problem.

This part really excites me.. its like the pandora is built to EVOLVE.

Lush.

I can't wait to develop on it. It's something I've always wanted to do - program on the go

Kyosys said:
I can't wait to develop on it. It's something I've always wanted to do - program on the go
Lol I have a Palm Treo for just that reason. I write dumb little apps in Plua all the freaking time.

Would be nice if there something like open2x where the libs and tools were all available in one place and with clear instruction on how to set them up and use them.

An SDK guide is definitely going to be done by the community if not by the official developers. I think right now everyone who could write SDK instructions are a bit busy.

The problem about porting/compiling SDL or other libraries at this point is that we need the sources for things like the X server (and I've no idea whether it'll even be a standard X.org).
We should wait for the source of the system's skeleton before attempting to make a port of complex libraries like SDL.

If anyone wants start developing any program, just do standard C/C++ and functions of libraries that are sure to be ported like the SDL and you should be safe.

Back