Sd Card Won't Stay Put

elinscheid

I just received my GP2X yesterday. The SD cards I have tried will not "click" into place inside the GP2X unit. I know I have the cards facing the correct direction. This is depressing because I am also unable to get my XP computer to recognise when the GP2X is connected. So right now I can not load anything onto my unit nor can I use SD cards with it.

Now I tried MMC cards just for the hell of it and I was able to get it to click into place, but only when the MMC cards are facing the wrong direction. If they are placed correctly then they fail to click in. SD cards can only face the correct direction so I don't know what to do. I took the back panel off of the unit and looked at the SD card reader thingy. I can't really see inside the SD reader on the GP2X.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? I know that some people are unable to get their GP2X to be seen on the computer, but I am more concerned about being unable to use SD cards... :( :( :(

It would only show up for a USB connection if there was a card in there. The card needs to go in with the face of the card away from you (assuming the screen is facing you). There's a little picture next to the slot to show you that. If SD cards don't go in that way, you have a duff unit, which should probably be returned and not taken apart.

Is there a really thin layer of plastic film on the label.

If there is just peel it off and the card will click in and out without any further problems. I know because I had to do this on my Integral 1GB SD card. Don't know why they put them on their but hey-ho. :)

You know that you don't put sd-cards with the front pointing to the screen, do you?

The cards can only go in one way. The pins on the SD card have to be facing the pins on the unit. No joy =-( I will look into removing any thin layer of plastic covering.

I have tried multiple cards now, Panasonic, Lexar SanDisk and Palm One. All cards fail to latch on to anything inside of the GP2X. Again, they are only able to fit into the slot when facing the correct direction so obviously I don't have them in backwards. There is no thin plastic on any of my cards so there is nothing to remove. All four cards work just fine on my Tapwave Zodiac Palm device.

I have multiple MMC cards as well. They will latch into place, but ONLY when facing the incorrect direction. If they face the correct direction then they have the same exact problem as the SD cards.

I have tried multiple cards now, Panasonic, Lexar SanDisk and Palm One. All cards fail to latch on to anything inside of the GP2X. Again, they are only able to fit into the slot when facing the correct direction so obviously I don't have them in backwards. There is no thin plastic on any of my cards so there is nothing to remove. All four cards work just fine on my Tapwave Zodiac Palm device.

I have multiple MMC cards as well. They will latch into place, but ONLY when facing the incorrect direction. If they face the correct direction then they have the same exact problem as the SD cards.

Well seems to me you have to return it, DON'T open it up, you will void your warrenty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, well I already opened it up :p Anyway I came to the conclusion that I will simply place a MMC card into the slot backwards and click it into place, then remove the card with out un-clicking it. Then slip a SD card into the slot and that should be all that I need. Now to start copying stuff to my SD cards via my card reader since XP won't recognise the GP2X.

Back