Scummvm: F200 Touchscreen Support

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
Folks,

I have knocked up a quick test build of ScummVM to play with support for the touch screen.

Untested by me as I don't have an F200 (or working GP2X for that matter).

There is more info and a test download here.

Please read the info before you try this out on your GP2X.

Also, please note that it does not seem to work if the GP2X is in the cradle/BoB, not sure why just yet.
The code should just detect if a USB mouse is added and disable the touchscreen but it seems to hang up if the cradle is connected. One to look at later.

DJWillis said:
Folks,

I have knocked up a quick test build of ScummVM to play with support for the touch screen.

Also, please note that it does not seem to work if the GP2X is in the cradle/BoB, not sure why just yet.
The code should just detect if a USB mouse is added and disable the touchscreen but it seems to hang up if the cradle is connected. One to look at later.

Hot damn! I've never used ScummVM before, but I'm gonna try it out now to see if the TS works OK. I have to go get some games for it, so it will be a little bit, but I'll let you know you what my findings are. I hope the TS works OK... I wanna get my Loom on in style! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya,
I've just tested it on mine, it works fine both with and without a mouse connected via the BoB for me.
It seg faults when quitting though - I'll see if gdb tells me more.

Only tried it with Sky (floppy version).

morrissey2k7 said:
DJWillis said:
Folks,

Hot damn! I've never used ScummVM before, but I'm gonna try it out now to see if the TS works OK. I have to go get some games for it, so it will be a little bit, but I'll let you know you what my findings are. I hope the TS works OK... I wanna get my Loom on in style! :)

UPDATE: I'm trying Goblins 3 right now. The ScummVM menu uses the touch screen awesomely (both to move the mouse and to choose options by tapping the screen)... OK, I'm actually in the game now. The mouse moves around the screen when you move the stylus around the screen, but I'm not sure if tapping the screen can select anything (of course, I have no clue how to play this game!). I'll be back in a few with some more observations.

UPDATE 2: Yes, tapping the screen acts just like clicking a mouse button in Goblins 3. This rocks! Can't wait to try out all the Scumm games with touch screen!

Didn't expect a touch screen release so soon.
Works fine, touch screen reacts mighty fast. Didn't find any failures yet, but just played a couple of minutes.

Superb job and many thanks from one of the early adaptors :)

awesome. about to try this with "beneath a steel sky"

a game which i recommend to all who haven't played btw. cool story, whole thing is very engaging, plenty of humor. you go around, find objects, talk to people etc, standard scumm stuff (but not like kyrandia where you find colored gems for no reason other then "you need them all to win!")

Nice one DJW, I just put an order for an f200 in the other day so looking forward to playing SCUMMVM with the touchscreen.

We really should get together and pitch in to buy you an f200 or mkII, which ever you prefer... Or just a regular donation so you could spend it on beer or whatever it is you genius type guys consume after work.

Iorgy77 said:
Nice one DJW, I just put an order for an f200 in the other day so looking forward to playing SCUMMVM with the touchscreen.

We really should get together and pitch in to buy you an f200 or mkII, which ever you prefer... Or just a regular donation so you could spend it on beer or whatever it is you genius type guys consume after work.
Per my "contest" that I posted a few days ago (where I promised a $5 Play Asia coupon to the first person who produced a touch screen game, app, or emulator for the F-200), you're the winner, DJWillis! :D

Congrats and thanks for all your hard work! AND for proving that it's not impossible to dev for the F-200... in fact you did it and you don't even have one!!!! :lol:

Thank you very much DJWillis :)

gp2x-f200-scummvm_rUI.jpg

:rolleyes:

Rivroner said:
Thank you very much DJWillis :)

gp2x-f200-scummvm_rUI.jpg
:rolleyes:

Suddenly spending $200 to play monkey island on a touch screen seems very desirable

Iorgy77 said:

We really should get together and pitch in to buy you an f200 or mkII, which ever you prefer...
Thanks, don't stress too much. If I can get the right deal I may well pick up an F200 at some point. For now, well blind coding is not all bad ;).

morrissey2k7 said:
Per my "contest" that I posted a few days ago (where I promised a $5 Play Asia coupon to the first person who produced a touch screen game, app, or emulator for the F-200), you're the winner, DJWillis! :D

Congrats and thanks for all your hard work! AND for proving that it's not impossible to dev for the F-200... in fact you did it and you don't even have one!!!! :lol:
Thanks for the offer, but I did not enter your contest ;). I just did this for the hell of it.

I won't take the voucher if you don't mind as I don’t like being indebted and I reserve the right to still moan a little about the F200 and don't want to offend anybody ;). As I mentioned before, the F200 seems great for gamers but why GPH changed the base hardware and removed functionality power users love I can't begin to think (well I can, it saves them a few pence on each unit).

morrissey2k7 said:
Submit this as a News item and upload your files to the Archives. Woo hoo! This has totally made my day!
Nahh, under normal circumstances I would have just posted this to the Beta Testing forum like I usually do with small ScummVM test releases. I only posted to general as I doubt most of the new GP2X users with F200's would find the beta forum down the bottom of the forum list.

It's not news till its ready ;). I'll do some more work over the next few days and a few more releases then make an official 0.10.0 release with touch screen support. That will justify being news.

Also, please do not post test releases to the archives, official ones only thanks (and even then I would rather people where pointed to http://www.ScummVM.org or http://ScummVM.distant-earth.com or people end up downloading ancient releases with all manner of bugs and emailing me about there problems, it’s a pain in the bum I can do without :D.

Anyway, glad people are enjoying the release.

Any feedback, bugs, etc. would be appreciated so I can try and squash them in the next release.

Very well done. Works like a charm for me.
Thanks for the fast release.

Regards,
Stephan

I've been playing the hell out of Loom and it works perfectly. I also tried Broken Sword 1, and the stylus moves the mouse pointer, but not on the same part of the screen you touch so pointing to anything on the right side of the screen is impossible. I don't mean that as a critique, but I'm sure you want to know any bugs that might arise, right? :D

morrissey2k7 said:
I also tried Broken Sword 1, and the stylus moves the mouse pointer, but not on the same part of the screen you touch so pointing to anything on the right side of the screen is impossible. I don't mean that as a critique, but I'm sure you want to know any bugs that might arise, right? :D
Just what I expected to happen :D. Thanks for confirming it for me.
What happens if you go into Zoom mode in BS1?

DJWillis said:
morrissey2k7 said:
I also tried Broken Sword 1, and the stylus moves the mouse pointer, but not on the same part of the screen you touch so pointing to anything on the right side of the screen is impossible. I don't mean that as a critique, but I'm sure you want to know any bugs that might arise, right? :D
Just what I expected to happen :D. Thanks for confirming it for me.
What happens if you go into Zoom mode in BS1?

LOL... I don't even know what that is or how to do it. I just tried the game for a few minutes, noticed that the mouse pointer would move, but not where I was pressing the stylus, so I turned it off and went back to Loom. If you tell me how to do it I'll test it for ya, though!

Had another go at Flight of the Amazon Queen. After finding 5 items the items scrolled rather fast (like the scroll button is hanging). That made selecting an item not so easy.

Back