Saga Of Ryzom Becomes Free Software

el_pango

The scoop: Ryzom goes opensource.

I realize this game is probably a bit heavyweight and many models might have to be remade with less triangles, etc, but do you all think that this is a port candidate for Pandora (over the longterm, I wouldn't expect it to be ready by ship day)?

el_pango said:
The scoop: Ryzom goes opensource.

I realize this game is probably a bit heavyweight and many models might have to be remade with less triangles, etc, but do you all think that this is a port candidate for Pandora (over the longterm, I wouldn't expect it to be ready by ship day)?

Lulz Bonus Stage Quote:

[quote name= 'Bonusstage Intro Video']
Joel: Saga of Ryzom is the best computer game I've ever played; and i've played State of Emergency..
Phil: State of Emergency was the worst game ever!!
Joel: But this game isn't..
** Phil rasies his hand to ask what he meant by that and get punched in the face and falls

*Fades to an intro vid of Saga Of Ryzom*
[/quote]

Sorry for the Off-Topic post as i've never played that game. It was the first thing to come to mind though >.>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure it'll be portable, it depends on the format of the models, I think, they may need to be converted...
Also worth mentioning, I've created a topic about the fact that thousands of models and textures are available for use under CC-BY-SA.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53310-anybody-want-20000-high-quality-textures-and-thousands-of-3d-objects/

fuck yea I'd play this, from all the videos and gameplay reviews, this looks like it would mop the floor with all the other open source mmorpg's out there.

we need top men on this immediately... top men!

jb0yx said:

top_hat.jpg

Attachments

• top_hat.jpg
    top_hat.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 94
B-ZaR said:
jb0yx said:

top_hat.jpg
hell yea, well, that's more of a top hat... but fuck it, bring him too, hands on keys... go go go! ;)

Attachments

• top_hat.jpg
    top_hat.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 86
OMG that is sooooo sh*t hot news. This would be AWESOME on the pandora. CAN WE, CAN WE PPPlease :) Yes I like this game if you haven't noticed :)

ok, sorry to ask, but why is the OSS of this stuff such a big deal?
Is it really that good?

This is great to see such a good MMO game being open sourced.
I hope the open source community will make great games out of this one.

Polossatik said:
Is it really that good?
In my opinion, it's far better than the open source MMO available till now.
And they open sourced the client and the server side software, that mean anybody can make his own server legally, if he has the funds to maintain a server.
So yeah, it's great news :)

Polossatik said:
Is it really that good?
It's practically necessary. To make something run on the Pandora, it needs to be recompiled for an ARM cpu, and for that we need the source code.
The alternative is for the developer to recompile for an ARM cpu, but they can do that because THEY have the source code. Somewhere along the way, the source code is needed; either the owner does it, or it is open source and someone else can do it.

Okay, just read a bit more in-depth.
They released the source code, the 3D models and the textures (but you don't have to use their models and textures, can make your own ones).
Quest, NPC, and everything else, you'll have to create yourself, I think it's a pretty good move.
They give the basics you'll need to make your own MMO without giving their game.

Some devs are already working on compiling the server and client (looks like there are a few problems on the client compilation, since it's missing audio files or something).
It's pretty exciting, I wonder how many successful indie mmo it will give birth to.

I hope we can get an OpenGL ES-based version of the client engine made pretty quickly .. that would rock a lot ..

WizardStan said:
Polossatik said:
Is it really that good?
It's practically necessary. To make something run on the Pandora, it needs to be recompiled for an ARM cpu, and for that we need the source code.
The alternative is for the developer to recompile for an ARM cpu, but they can do that because THEY have the source code. Somewhere along the way, the source code is needed; either the owner does it, or it is open source and someone else can do it.

Cheers, I should have been more clear that I was wondering about the significance of the game , not about the fact as such that you need the source to make a port to ARM.

Looks like it's indeed a nice bunch of decent material.

Pretty nice game, but had to suffer from a very small community. That's why it never got into the minds of a larger public and why multiple companies took the game over and tried to make something out of it.

By the way, "Myst Online: Uru Live" is now also open source and freely playable. What I don't get about the new open source Ryzom is if it'll also be freely playable from hereon.

Wootson said:
What I don't get about the new open source Ryzom is if it'll also be freely playable from hereon.

Probably not. Free Software (free as freedom) it isn't the same that freeware (free as a free beer). They have released the source code and most of art (they have some problems with music and sounds licenses), but not the data files which contains info about Quests and NPCs so nobody can create a server that is exactly like the official server. The client and the server may be free, but they are providing a service (maintaining the official server, fixing bugs, creating new Quests...) so they must be paid for providing that service. I don't know what would be their monetization schemes (month payment, in-game ads, premium accounts or trading game items for real money) but they must get money from "some place".

WORMSXP said:
Wootson said:
What I don't get about the new open source Ryzom is if it'll also be freely playable from hereon.

Probably not. Free Software (free as freedom) it isn't the same that freeware (free as a free beer). They have released the source code and most of art (they have some problems with music and sounds licenses), but not the data files which contains info about Quests and NPCs so nobody can create a server that is exactly like the official server. The client and the server may be free, but they are providing a service (maintaining the official server, fixing bugs, creating new Quests...) so they must be paid for providing that service. I don't know what would be their monetization schemes (month payment, in-game ads, premium accounts or trading game items for real money) but they must get money from "some place".

That's all pretty clear to me, what "free" and "open source" means.

What I mean is that they should mention this in their statement on their website so it's pretty clear what they want from hereon. Sort of a list which states what they will do for the future, and what you can do with the code and all the different items that come with it. And what is allowed when making a game with that code, and so on. This is all not very clear.

You can make any game you want, even commercial ones.
But your source code will be under AGPLv3 license and you'll have to make the content yourself, everything that makes the story (NPC, quest, geography, ...) is proprietary and have been removed from the open source Ryzom Core.

The Saga of Ryzom remains inchanged, free game till lvl 20 (lvl max = 250).

Wootson said:
That's all pretty clear to me, what "free" and "open source" means.

What I mean is that they should mention this in their statement on their website so it's pretty clear what they want from hereon. Sort of a list which states what they will do for the future, and what you can do with the code and all the different items that come with it. And what is allowed when making a game with that code, and so on. This is all not very clear.

They already says on their website what you can do (or not) with released code and art and their plans for the future:

http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=34929
http://dev.ryzom.com/projects/ryzom/wiki
http://dev.ryzom.com/wiki/ryzom/OpenSourceFAQ
http://dev.ryzom.com/wiki/ryzom/DevelopersFAQ
http://dev.ryzom.com/projects/ryzom/roadmap

Back