Rosetta Stone?

EssoAir

Hey everyone,

So Im currently an exchange student in Japan. My Japanese is improving which is great! I can have basic conversations no problem. Most of my study though, is at school. Im not allowed to bring my laptop which means I cant use Rosetta Stone. I was wondering if maybe through DOSBox or Qemu it could be run on my Pandora? If so I could just bring that. Everyone would just assume its a deshi jisho which are allowed at school. What would be even better is if I could run it on my phone but as I understand it, the P will run arbitrary programs much faster than Android can.

Thanks in advance!

CJ

Hey everyone,

So Im currently an exchange student in Japan. My Japanese is improving which is great! I can have basic conversations no problem. Most of my study though, is at school. Im not allowed to bring my laptop which means I cant use Rosetta Stone. I was wondering if maybe through DOSBox or Qemu it could be run on my Pandora? If so I could just bring that. Everyone would just assume its a deshi jisho which are allowed at school. What would be even better is if I could run it on my phone but as I understand it, the P will run arbitrary programs much faster than Android can.

Thanks in advance!

CJ
Whats's Rosetta stone anyway ? a windows software? And why do you need it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its software for Mac and Windows. I dont need it, but if was easy to get running it would be nice. Its basically a no-translation method for studying languages. It uses pictures instead of english definitions for words and sentences.

Its software for Mac and Windows. I dont need it, but if was easy to get running it would be nice. Its basically a no-translation method for studying languages. It uses pictures instead of english definitions for words and sentences.
Use Anki for Pandora. It's not the same thing but it's also very effective to pick up vocabulary very fast and practice with pictures too. 

I don't recommend setting up Qemu for running anything windows related, it will be awfully slow. Find an alternative. 

Use Anki for Pandora. It's not the same thing but it's also very effective to pick up vocabulary very fast and practice with pictures too. 

I don't recommend setting up Qemu for running anything windows related, it will be awfully slow. Find an alternative. 
I dont feel I'm to the Anki stage yet, though. I still have a lot of grammar to learn and while I do know roughly 200 kanji, I'd rather not just drill on flash cards, personally.

Rosetta Stone is decent software, my mate had Italian or Spanish, set of discs, and was good for learning.

Bonus Fact:

The real Rosetta Stone is even more impressive :)

I've seen it lots here in London's British Museum, it's how we've come to understand the ancient Egyptians hieroglyphics.

The stone has some text/glyphs written in 3 different scripts, the same text, including hieroglyphics and ancient Greek.

...Because we knew the Greek, we were able to ascertain what the hieroglyphics meant.

It's an important stone.

..When I say "we", I mean my more clever fellow scientific type beings :)

cmcg61690_master.jpg

i was learning beginner japanese with rosetta stone. it's fun and quite effective.

i'll have a look if i can find the discs and maybe try to get it going in qemu.

probably wont work too well, tho.

The stone has some text/glyphs written in 3 different scripts, the same text, including hieroglyphics and ancient Greek.
Actually it's not as simple as that. We found out what they meant because we found out it was actually a language we already knew and the Rosetta Stone just provided us the link we missed to prove it and enable the decyphering of hieroglyphs.

I dont feel I'm to the Anki stage yet, though. I still have a lot of grammar to learn and while I do know roughly 200 kanji, I'd rather not just drill on flash cards, personally.
You need to know 10 times more Kanji to survive in Japan :) good luck :)

Rosetta Stone is decent software, my mate had Italian or Spanish, set of discs, and was good for learning.

Bonus Fact:

The real Rosetta Stone is even more impressive :)

I've seen it lots here in London's British Museum, it's how we've come to understand the ancient Egyptians hieroglyphics.

...Because we knew the Greek, we were able to ascertain what the hieroglyphics meant.

It's an important stone.

..When I say "we", I mean my more clever fellow scientific type beings :)

cmcg61690_master.jpg
I was there this past summer and saw both the real thing and the fake one in the library off to the side :)

Rosetta Stone is great if you want to say "The boy is under the aeroplane" in a slew of languages.

Back