Retrovirus

thos_thom

Still Fresh
Website
treesofgreen.co.uk
Hello everyone, here is my RetroVirus game. I made this. I entered it into the official game comp and never even got so much as an email from them about it. So I thought I would release it for you all to enjoy.

It is a puzzle game! Sorry about that. It has 80 ish levels. I forget how many. Some lovely backgrounds and some great music made by a friend of mine. Other than the music it is all my own work.

It has a story mode and a practice mode where you just get as many points as you can. There is even an in game tutorial (wow!). It is complete with cool music / sound effects and an annoying voice that encourages you to keep going. You can save your progress in the story mode by pressing start to bring up the in game menu.

retrovirus_ingame.png
retrovirus_ingame2.png

[cut]
retrovirus_splash.png

It has been a labor of love.
let me know what you think!

Download

Just unzip the directory into the root of your sd card, or copy it onto your nand.

I have about half a billion other unfinished gp2x projects on at the moment but another two point six trillion other things too, If you like it and would like more interesting puzzle games ;) let me know about it.

If you would like to get in contact with the Jack Moxley who wrote the music perhaps for music for your own game, or Barry Bradford who did the voice work, contact me and I will put you in touch.

Regards,
Thom.[/cut]

Seems pretty good ! Got two complaints though... when the game loads up and you have the menu if u tap volume down once it becomes muted and if u tap volume up it becomes maxed and is too loud... no variation between the levels there, and after doing the tutorial I clicked continue game and as soon as I picked up a protein to move, my GP2X hung.

EDIT: Seems to randomly hang when your playing some of the levels and creating proteins :( could just be me though my batteries are running low...

Been playing this for the past couple of hours, which is a really good thing :)

Nice idea and good presentation, thanks for this game!

Lovely and addictive game. Feels a bit unstable (firmware 2.1.1) I've had two freezes.
After a couple of levels I already got the message that I've had completed the game (not the tutorial) and right after the message freezing again.

Nevertheless a real treat!

i like puzzle games but this one has a slow pace.

i think that STICK+START exits the game.

since A is the only action button maybe Y, X, and B can mirror the functionality to make controls more comfortable/intuitive.

loving the game, so simple but really addictive :)
the previously mentioned bugs apply to me also:
  • need an option to quit using the pause menu. stick + start does work but seem more like a kill command
  • strange glitch when the game is first run where it is only 8 levels long instead of 80! however after completing it once via this bug running the game was fine.
none of the freeze bugs that have been mentioned
but i still run firmware 2.0 so this maybe this is a firmware related issue.
all in all a very fun game. thanks for the release! ^_^

strange glitch when the game is first run where it is only 8 levels long instead of 80! however after completing it once via this bug running the game was fine.

I think I finished the game after three levels (I don't think I was still in the tutorial) ! Mine froze up too, but I can't remember exactly what I was doing at the time.

It's a nice game, I'll be giving it more goes! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, about the level count, I may have uploaded the version i was using to test the end sequence by mistake. I will check that out and upload a new version. If this is the case then I will get a new zip in place and upload a seperate binary so you guys need not download all the resourecs again.

Has anyone else experienced sound problems? If so more details would be good.

It is Stick and start to exit. I will look into adding a menu option.

I will look into adding button mirrors for those who like to use somthing other than A.

purple_goat:
you can skip the into with start.

If you have had the game freeze, I'm interested to know where and what you were doing at the time. I have not seen this behaviour before.

ok in about 10 mins the zip will be downloable again from here (front link will also work)

Download All

Download Binary

Only 1 freeze for me so far, after completing the game on story mode (only 3 missions) and selecting new game, the game froze. Still, great game, have been playing practice mode quite a lot and cannot wait for an 80 level story mode :)

Back