RetroAchievements

That seems to be about more than score. I noticed one achievement recently uploaded that was about beating a specific opponent in an N64 Pokemon game. I don't know if all those conditions are documented somewhere short of grepping through the source code.

This doesn't seem to be about "competing" in the same way as C4A. This is just for adding "achievements" to retro games. I've not looked into the code, but I don't think they care about cheats (because it's not really a competition), because I've seen comments about people trying different versions of a game rom... so there'd be nothing stopping somebody editing a ROM file to "hardcode" cheats, rather than just emulator-based cheating.

My biggest complaint about 'achievement systems' is when they are implemented as required with no way to turn them off.

Example: Pinball Arcade on Android
Great game - emulates pinball machines through history. Very expensive game too - hundreds of $ if you want all the tables.
Recently started requiring a Google+ login in order to play. I don't want a Google+ account.
Keeps flashing 'achievements' on the screen that overlay and interrupt gameplay and updates them back to Google+.
I just want to play the game I paid for in offline mode - but there isn't one. I purchased it before the Google+ account requirement and prior to 'achievements'.

So - if I had a vote on whether to roll 'achievements' into anything, make sure they are turned off by default - or at least have a way to turn them off.

My biggest complaint about 'achievement systems' is when they are implemented as required with no way to turn them off.
Yeah, but on the otherhand, if you've ever played Convoy (which I think is a great game), it has achievements in, but it's all local to the machine.
What bugs me more than achievements is "locked" content. Convoy, like FTL, is a bit annoying in that sense, because it's a roguelike and thus random each time, the chances of you stumbling over the item to unlock a certain thing can be very remote, and the odd chance you do find it, you might not be equipped to complete the mission etc.
I appreciate some of it makes "story" sense... but to me it's a frustrating way to "prolong" the games life. If I find the game fun, I'll come back to it regardless. All locked content does is annoy me and make me look for save game/profile editors to unlock it all

Back