Register Report On Gp2x's New Processor ;)

Parkydr posted on Oct 31 2006 at 01:16 PM said:
There's publicity for the 275MHz version in The Register

I hate the fact that they neglect to mention that it's the same processor. Sure, it might be good publicity for the gp2x, and effectively there is no difference in having another processor to overclocking, but lying is lying, and lying usually sucks. Especially when someone (which someone inevitably will) discovers they've been scammed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didnt know you could buy a white one either like in their bottom picture

gnyffel posted on Oct 31 2006 at 01:52 PM said:
Parkydr posted on Oct 31 2006 at 01:16 PM said:
There's publicity for the 275MHz version in The Register

I hate the fact that they neglect to mention that it's the same processor. Sure, it might be good publicity for the gp2x, and effectively there is no difference in having another processor to overclocking, but lying is lying, and lying usually sucks. Especially when someone (which someone inevitably will) discovers they've been scammed.
i completely agree. even advertising the "standard" ones as 240 i think its completely dishonest and immoral. its the same chips bought to run at 200mhz. if i had bought mine when these 240 or 275mhz's were advertised, and didnt know they were actually just overclocked, i'd be completely furious, return the unit, and give so much bad publicity it would be a nightmare to undo.

i think ultimately that this 240 and 275 mhz advertising is gonna backfire.

i dont think that old saying has so much truth.

let me take for example a danish site, edbpriser.dk, a large index of basically all danish shops for computer parts and such stuff. it features the ability for users to comment on things, and if someone has a bad experience in particular with a certain shop, people reading such comments will most certainly not buy there.

and for a (on a grand scale) such small market as the gp2x, people getting pissed may really have a huge effect. especially in regards to things you cant really see before you buy. for physical goods perhaps it has less effects.

How are people pissed? The most asked question about the gp2x for the last year has been 'Please sell clock tested faster units'.

Also it is magiceyes who clock test the units 200mhz or 266mhz. I also suspect it is quite common in the PC world too.

its much the same as gfx card makers o/clocking and extra cooling stock chips from nvidia and ati aint it?

they charge more for the same kit just proven to run faster.

same, same.

craigix posted on Oct 31 2006 at 03:08 PM said:
How are people pissed? The most asked question about the gp2x for the last year has been 'Please sell clock tested faster units'.

Also it is magiceyes who clock test the units 200mhz or 266mhz. I also suspect it is quite common in the PC world too.
nono, im not saying people are pissed now, im saying that they may be, when/if they figure out that all the difference between the two are that you have tested that they actually can do 275mhz.

and im not saying you are doing anything wrong with testing them at faster clock speeds, i think its fair that you provide the service to test it at a high clock speed, and then sell those separately, however it is concievable that people think they actually are 275 and 240 mhz cpu's from magiceyes (or arm, or samsung, or whomever sells them.)

i think a little more verbose information on the subject would be good

craigix posted on Oct 31 2006 at 06:08 AM said:
I think you're taking comments from informed GP2X users (i.e. readers of this forum), and assuming the average uninformed buyer will feel the same. That's a big risk.

craigix posted on Oct 31 2006 at 06:08 AM said:
I don't think this is legal in the PC world, either. This article states that the GP2X has been "upgraded" to a faster processor, which is a flat-out lie. If a consumer sold his old Dell laptop to upgrade to a new one, then found out it had the exact same processor simply overclocked, I doubt Dell would recover from the bad press that would follow.

If you are involved with Gamepark Holdings, I strongly suggest you approach this website quickly and correct the article before other sites pick the story up. Love the GP2X, don't want to see GH hurt by someone's dumb mistake.

The Register said:
Linux-based dual-CPU handheld games console the GP2X has been upgraded with a faster processor, the company shipping the gadget in the UK has revealed

People might like or dislike the fact that new units are now being tested before being sold (at a higher price) to ensure they reach a certain speed, but the statement above is a plain lie I think.

They are being sold as 275MHz versions so that is what they are regardless of the default specification of the CPUs. I haven't bought a GP2X yet but I'm happy that when I eventually do I'll have the option of buying one that has a guaranteed ~37% overclock and it's not costing all that much more anyway so the guaranteed faster speed is almost free in my mind. :D

the majority of them reach 250 or 266mhz anyways, originally they weren't even sold as 240mhz cores it was 200mhz... mine runs stable at 266mhz and I'm happy with that :)

the GP32 was the same, ones proven to OC higher were sold for a little more, infact in the end they even had ones that were modded so they OC'd a lot higher than normal :)

the articles wrong, but Craig's site doesn't say its a different processor... can't blame him if someones made an assumption and written an article about it

Hmm, yeah, it sounds like we're blaming craigix for the lack of writing skills of whoever wrote the article. Sorry if my last post sounded that way. Gamespot's article on the GP2X simply quoted Craig, so it was a lot more accurate.

I ran the CPU/LCD tweaker and the test stopped after it had checked 295 mhz ..... So would it in theory be stable at 275? (First edition GP2x)

Back