Recommend good books and movies.

adamjoseph

Still Fresh
Hi, I'm looking for good books and movies.
Recommend movies of any language. best vpn deals
Mainly expecting German,Spanish,Turkish,Iranian movies.

Last edited:
For spanish film, there's no need to go any further than Pedro Almodovar. I think my favourite of his were Volver, Live Flesh and of course Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. But almost all of his films are worth a watch. I think the only German film I can remember seeing was Das Boot which is worth a watch, but not a fun experience. I don't think I've ever seen any Turkish movies, and the only Iranian film I've seen if you can count it was that animated thing about growing up then leaving iran, but I can't remember the name of it.

One of the best german movies ive seen is Welt am draht by fassbinder it's a very cool miniseries that they showed in a cinema nearby in two parts. It's very 70s but also very futuristic. I would say the makers of the matrix did get inspired by this movie, but I wont spoil the plot. If you like retro computers you'll probably like this, that is if you also like slow movies.

Other geman movies worth while on the top of my head Funny Games (very disturbing, fun fact the director made an american version that is scene for scene the same as the german one) Elementar Teilchen, Lola Rennt, :p somehow I couldnt escape Moritz Bleibtreu :p

Hi, I'm looking for good books and movies.
Recommend movies of any language.
Mainly expecting German,Spanish,Turkish,Iranian movies.

It'd be easier if you mentioned the genre you're interested in, but it's also rather suspicious to register here and write only one post asking about books and movies.

Anyway, let's take the bait and suppose you're not a troll.

For spanish film, there's no need to go any further than Pedro Almodovar. I think my favourite of his were Volver, Live Flesh and of course Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. But almost all of his films are worth a watch. I think the only German film I can remember seeing was Das Boot which is worth a watch, but not a fun experience. I don't think I've ever seen any Turkish movies, and the only Iranian film I've seen if you can count it was that animated thing about growing up then leaving iran, but I can't remember the name of it.

Sure, and then you'd have a very shallow knowledge about the spanish film industry, as everything Almodovar directs is cast in the same mold.

I'd recommend the following "spanish" films (nowadays are usually co-produced by several countries...), in no particular order:

Pan's Labyrinth (El laberinto del fauno) 2006 (Drama, Fantasy, War) <- Not seen yet, but looking forward as it was recommended long ago.

[Rec] 2007 (Action, Fantasy, Horror) <- Not seen yet, but looking forward as it was recommended long ago.

Agora (Ágora) 2009 (Adventure, History, Drama) <- Not seen yet, but looking forward as it was recommended long ago.

Planet 51 2009 (Animation, Adventure, Comedy) <- Funny spanish animation.

Spanish Affair (Ocho apellidos vascos) 2014 (Comedy, Romance) <- A comedy that focuses on spanish regional differences (similar tone to the french "Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis") so maybe it's not so funny for non-spanish viewers.

The Day of the Beast (El día de la bestia) 1995 (Action, Adventure, Comedy) <- A classic.

Fermat's Room (La habitación de Fermat) 2007 (Mistery, Thriller) <- Saw it long ago, I found it interesting back then.

Alatriste 2006 (Adventure, Drama, History) <- Based on Reverte's hit, not a fan of Mortensen's acting here, but interesting film and worth seeing.

Eva 2011 (Drama, Fantasy, Sci-Fi) <- Saw it long ago and found the plot very interesting.

Tad, the Lost Explorer (Las aventuras de Tadeo Jones) 2012 (Animation, Adventure, Comedy) <- Funny spanish animation.

There Be Dragons (Encontrarás dragones) 2011 (Biography, Drama, War) <- Saw it long ago, interesting plot.

Wolf (El lobo) 2004 (Thriller) <- Based on real facts, tells a chapter of terrorist group ETA.

Comanche Territory (Territorio comanche) 1997 (Drama, War) <- Based on real facts about spanish reporters on the Bosnian war.

How about the old Movies whit Till Schweiger ? , "Knocking on Heavens Door" was fun but also melancholic, then whe have the good old "Otto" Movies,
Hape Kerkelin dit a pretty good satire on the Show Busines whit "Witzigkeit kennt keine Grenzen", and whe have also the amazing Loriot..

One of the best german movies ive seen is Welt am draht by fassbinder it's a very cool miniseries that they showed in a cinema nearby in two parts. It's very 70s but also very futuristic. I would say the makers of the matrix did get inspired by this movie, but I wont spoil the plot. If you like retro computers you'll probably like this, that is if you also like slow movies.
Hollywood actualy did a modern remake of "Welt am Draht", called "13th Floor". It was pretty good for a remake.

Other geman movies worth while on the top of my head Funny Games (very disturbing, fun fact the director made an american version that is scene for scene the same as the german one) Elementar Teilchen, Lola Rennt, :p somehow I couldnt escape Moritz Bleibtreu
Funny Games was an austrian Movie afaik. And it was not funny at all, actualy. ^^"
How about the old Movies whit Till Schweiger ? , "Knocking on Heavens Door" was fun but also melancholic, then whe have the good old "Otto" Movies,
Hape Kerkelin dit a pretty good satire on the Show Busines whit "Witzigkeit kennt keine Grenzen", and whe have also the amazing Loriot..
Till Schweiger? Please no. Don't scare people! xD Only Till Schweiger movie I can recommend is "Manta Manta" and his appearence in "Traumschiff Surprise". But yes, the old Otto movies are great, same for Movies with Didi Hallervorden. I also recommend "Werner" to foreigners to help them learning the nord-german culture and slang. ;) And don't forget "SUPERSTAU"!!! xD
Tough people can try to get into "Supernasen" movies with Thomas Gottschalk and Mike Krüger. "Die Einsteiger" even had music from the Oliver Onions!

Last edited:
Just forgett Didi Hallervorden, not for the Movies, but also for the Shows, "Nonstopp Nonsens", (Pech für die Kuh Elsa) ^^

Thomas Gotschalk and Mike Krüger, yes this was also quite funny,

Also whe have these cool old Movies whit Heinz Erhard, from the 1960tes, he may be the German Pendant to Luis de Funes, but a bit more serious,
Shure these Movies where quite Old now, but still pretty funny..

Sure, and then you'd have a very shallow knowledge about the spanish film industry, as everything Almodovar directs is cast in the same mold.
True, especially the three I mentioned have the same plot if you mess around with a couple of the important ingredients. I don't have a problem with that myself though.

I'd recommend the following "spanish" films (nowadays are usually co-produced by several countries...), in no particular order:

Pan's Labyrinth (El laberinto del fauno) 2006 (Drama, Fantasy, War) <- Not seen yet, but looking forward as it was recommended long ago.

[Rec] 2007 (Action, Fantasy, Horror) <- Not seen yet, but looking forward as it was recommended long ago.
Yes! Pan's Labyrinth is awesome and so sad at the end. All of Del Toro's spanish language films are worth a watch, namely Chronos, the Devil's Backbone and the aforementioned ...Labyrinth.

I also enjoyed Rec back in the day, although I'm not sure I want to watch it again yet.

Yes, if you want to read sci-fi then Huxley's Brave New World is very much part of it, perhaps after Orwell's Ninteteen Eighty Four. Farehheit 451 if I remember is a Heinlein book which is a bit more trashy.

Edit: I think I've seen the film of the latter, which is fun if you have a 1970's kitch gene in you, but infinitely missable otherwise.

In movies i would also recommend the lobster, the guard, and parasite.

Ive watched all oscar winners for best picture (except titanic) and parasite is up there with the greats.

Ive kept a list : https://forum.fok.nl/topic/2100984 and the ones I havent seen before the project Ive rated here are the flagged ones that I gave the best points:

(btw for star wars fans the very first oscar winner wings is also a reccomendation)

1937 (10th) The Life of Emile Zola
1945 (18th) The Lost Weekend
1954 (27th) On the Waterfront
1957 (30th) The Bridge on the River Kwai
1967 (40th) In the Heat of the Night
1980 (53rd) Ordinary People
2017 (90th) the shape of water
2019 (92th) Parasite

There are some greats missing because I found it hard to rate them in the same way I did the ones I havent seen before, you can see the ratings in the link. Also if you interested in my reviews they are there as well but in dutch.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, if you want to read sci-fi then Huxley's Brave New World is very much part of it, perhaps after Orwell's Ninteteen Eighty Four. Farehheit 451 if I remember is a Heinlein book which is a bit more trashy.

Edit: I think I've seen the film of the latter, which is fun if you have a 1970's kitch gene in you, but infinitely missable otherwise.

In scifi I wouldnt miss out on H.G. Wells and Jules Verne. I still have to catch up on philip k dick books I like most of the movies that were based on his books.

Farehheit 451 if I remember is a Heinlein book which is a bit more trashy.

I found out recently that there are two Fahrenheit 451 movies, the 1966 one which I liked and the 2018 one of which we shall not speak.

Yes, if you want to read sci-fi then Huxley's Brave New World is very much part of it, perhaps after Orwell's Ninteteen Eighty Four.
I already watched the 1984 movie from 1956 and it was pretty good.

Speaking of movies, another recommendation from me is the Matrix. The trilogy gets steadily worse as it progresses though. The first is amazing, the second movie is merely good, and the third is mostly just a boring war movie with mechs and stupid soldier cliches. Luckily the first has a pretty good ending to leave at.

Back