[Rec] Best adventure games

Weevil

Big adventure fan here, as kick-off to this thread I would like to share with you some gems I recently discovered and am now enjoying.

The Neverhood

AKA Klaymen Klaymen

Windows/PlayStation One adventure in clay stopmotion. Lots of weird visual humor. Personally I find the puzzles quite difficult so when you start it give it your full attention!

250px-The_Neverhood.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9hkdNt8yVz0?feature=oembed

I love the Neverhood. It's very sad that we have no free engine for this amazing game.

The kinda obvious ones: Monkey Islands, "Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle" and "Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis" are a couple of my favorites. Space quests, "Flight of the Amazon Queen" and "Beneath a Steel Sky" are real gems too.

I thought the best adventure game was the very adventure of waiting for the Pandora?

My favorites are

Full Throttle: You find your biker self in a dumpster what has happened and where is your bike! A very cinematic biker story about the nuances between being passionate biker or just wanting to make money (bit like OPT vs GPH ;) )

full-throttle-large.gif

Broken Sword: As american tourist you are enjoying your vacation but then a bomb goes of in the very café you're sitting at. Off course you want to know what happened and before you know it you are travelling europe and chasing templer legends.

shot017.jpg

The monkey island series: You want to become a mighty pirate, so you your swashbuckling ass out there and drink some grog with a variety of menacing ghosts, pirates, three headed monkeys and other SCUMMTM

threeheadedmonkey.gif

Loom: You are a druid and you are alone, where did everybody go, and why are all these seagulls here? This is a bit different than your average adventure since the only thing you can do is play tunes on a stick. These tunes regulate what you do. Very inventive gameplay :)

scummvm_loom.jpg

well I should also have mentioned Indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, day of the tentacle, grim fandango (not playable on pandora, yet), gabriel knight, etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I second "Loom". One of my favourite games. Also "The Neverhood".

All of the Discworld games are very nice (there are 3, though the 3rd isn't fully compatible with ScummVM yet I think) But they're considered hard (though I somehow managed to figure everything out without resorting to cheat codes).

Star Control 2 & 3 are sometimes classified as adventure games, though they're a hybrid genre of their own, really.

Toonstruck:

You are as Drew Blanc (played by Christopher Lloyd) a cartoonist who gets sucked into a cartoon world.

There Count Nefarious is trying to make the land of Cutopia evil with his flying Malevolator.

You must collect the parts for the King's Cutifier in order to revert the damage, and save the world.

This was the first Adventure game I ever played, and still one of my favourites. :)

An Arcade in Cutopia (the Wacman machine is playable):

Zanydu, the hometown of your companion Flux Wildly:

The Malevolands, home of Count Nefarious:

Seconding Broken Sword as well!

The dig

dig300mc0.jpg

Released by Lucasarts 1995, the dig is a science fiction adventure game based on an idea for an Amazing Stories episode by Steven Spielberg. It features an excellent voice-over soundtrack with the main protagonist voiced by Robert Patrick who you may know from his portrayal as the amazing T-1000 in Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Don't miss this game kids. It's one of the best.

the-dig-012.jpg

Cool I just read he is going to do the voice acting for the back to the future games by telltale also :)
I didn't know anything about these games, I'm such a big BTTF fan! Can't wait! :D

By the way Toonstruck also features the voices of Dan Castellaneta and Tim Curry.

I didn't know anything about these games, I'm such a big BTTF fan! Can't wait! :D

By the way Toonstruck also features the voices of Dan Castellaneta and Tim Curry.

telltale games got licences to back to the future and jurassic park :)

first picture looks promising

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-660

4948929934_420fd6c1dd.jpg

i think they are about to release the first episode at the end of the year (it's in the usual episodic way all telltale games are so a season of 5 episodes)

It would be so good if telltale would release their games on the pandora to but I guess that'll never happen.

one of the best games in the history

Leisure Suit Larry 1

Can't wait to get my Pandora and type in filthy stuff! Is the Pandora keyboard comfortable enough to 'seriously' play text-based adventures?

The dig

Released by Lucasarts 1995, the dig is a science fiction adventure game based on an idea for an Amazing Stories episode by Steven Spielberg. It features an excellent voice-over soundtrack with the main protagonist voiced by Robert Patrick who you may know from his portrayal as the amazing T-1000 in Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Don't miss this game kids. It's one of the best.

Second that. Matt Chat did a nice review of this game a couple of days ago that I think is worth checking out.

Another one for the list:

Simon the Sorcerer

Kid gets sucked into a magical world, ends up on a quest to become sorcerer to defeat evil. Add beautiful background, voice-over by Chris Barrie (Red Dwarf) and british humor. Stir.

scummvm_2_4_0-full.png
scummvm_2_4_1-full.png

I see frotz has been ported to the Pandora, so there's plenty of z-code adventures you can play. My favourite introduction to the genre is a game called BSE which is nice and short and fairly witty, so long as you like British humour. Infocom's original Zork games from the early eighties are still worth playing and as far as I was aware, freely available. That said, I can only find PC and Mac downloads, and couldn't see the z-code file inside the DOS download of Zork 1 (but I did get the z-code version from somewhere in the past).

Text adventures!

I recommend bureaucracy written by Douglas Adams (writer of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) it's game were you as protagonist just moved to another city however you still have to change your address at the bank, and that is an almost impossible task! Its full of great humor!

Text adventures!

I recommend bureaucracy written by Douglas Adams (writer of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) it's game were you as protagonist just moved to another city however you still have to change your address at the bank, and that is an almost impossible task! Its full of great humor!
Wasn't the Hitchhikers text adventure itself pretty good? Was Douglas Adams involved with that?

Future Wars

A bit dated adventure from Delphine Software (Another World, Flashback) with a great storyline.

fw1.jpg
fw4.jpg

My Favorite of all time is " Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" Awsome story, great puszzles, great soundtrack, pure perfection.

My second and third favorites are "Day of the Tentacle" and "Monkey Island 2"

I also love the Kyrandia series, especially book 2 Hand of Fate!

Back