Quickstart V1.0 Released - UPDATED TO V1.1!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
EvilDragon (yay, that's me) with some help from Gernot Frisch just released a small app for your gp2x called QuickStart.

It is a simple tool that is meant to be run upon booting up. It runs applications (which can be simply configured with a simple .ini-file) according to the button you press upon starting.

I for myself use it to automatically run gmenu2x if I boot without pressing a button or running GMU when I boot the gp2x while pressing L.

Instructions on how to use it are included in the archive.
Please post any wishes, bugs, feedback, etc. here.
It's been coded using GLBasic :)

Download: QuickStart v1.0

Very cool idea!

I'm kind of unfamiliar with autorun apps though. Is this going to stay running in the background or will it close itself? Yep, I'm worry about the miniscule performance hit it might cause. :p

EDIT: Also, is there a path I could put to just boot to the regular FW? I just get an endless loop with the "none" line blank...

EDIT2: Sound also seems to be broken in Picodrive when launching from this (though there's sound on the FW loading screens before QuickStart runs). ;)

If we could do this like the old gp32 multi firmwares that would just be great. Not that we currently have a variety of multipule firmwares..but for launchers and favorite programs this is cool

i have the problem of internal booting also. it could be great that you can configure it to just bypass the booting.

im also having problems with Gp2xmb when i finish any app launched by this frontend. anyone have same issue?

Sounds great. This is exactly what I suggested be implemented into the DS-Xtreme Nintendo DS flash cart. Soon as I get my GP2X, this will be going straight on it. :D

when is the check for the key press done?

must you hold the key for the whole boot process or does it check at, for instance, the 8th second after turning on?

so, with emus that have command line options i could set up a button to auto launch a game yeah?

good app. i reckon i'll be using her :)

Oh, whoops, you're right, it seems to crash the sounddriver.

Damn! I'll check it.
Usually, it should run the default gp2x menu when the none-line is empty...
But I have open2x installed, so I couldn't check that.
I might have a wrong path in the program, I'm gonna check that.

You need to press the button when it is run, so shortly before the normal menu would appear.

awesome idea, i'm sure i will be using this...don't know how you managed to break audio with an autorun app though :huh: :p

BUGFIX RELEASE!

Yay, everything seems to be working now!
Sound is fine, only thing not supported yet are parameters with programs (though this can be done via running script which then runs the program with parameters... ugly, I know, but I'm working on this).

Simply redownload it.

Keep in mind that the gp2x runs Linux, therefore it's CASE SENSITIVE!
No check-routine is in the program yet, so if it seems to crash, you most likely have the path set wrong :)

Sound does work now. :)

But I still can't get to my firmware leaving the "none" line blank...

EDIT: Also, if I exit mplayer from this, it just goes to a black screen.. But I suspect you might not be able to fix that.

shinneri said:
Sound does work now. :)

But I still can't get to my firmware leaving the "none" line blank...

EDIT: Also, if I exit mplayer from this, it just goes to a black screen.. But I suspect you might not be able to fix that.
Okay, fiddled around with a non-Open2x-gp2x and found out what's the prob.
You need to run gp2xmenu --boot --disable-autorun

As parameters are not yet supported, it only works via a script.
So now in the archive I've included a script named gp2xmenu, which gets run by default if you leave none= empty.
You can also assign it to any other button.

Simply redownload the archive :)

As soon as parameters are supported, that won't be needed anymore.

Regarding mplayer:
It doesn't run gp2xmenu upon exit. I tried it with a script that first runs mplayer and THEN gp2xmenu, but that didn't work.
I'm gonna check out gmenu2x how it does work there.

Last edited:
Great app ! When i was testing gp2xmb, i was thinking that an app like QuickStart would be very useful.

However, i get an error when i try to load Qtopia with QuickStart. I assigned qtopia to R button but when i press R i get stuck to QuickStart screen.

ak_ said:
Great app ! When i was testing gp2xmb, i was thinking that an app like QuickStart would be very useful.

However, i get an error when i try to load Qtopia with QuickStart. I assigned qtopia to R button but when i press R i get stuck to QuickStart screen.
Hm, that usually only happens when
a) You have the path or case wrong (check it again)
B) You used parameters for qtopia (anything behind the executable file). That doesn't work yet, however, you can crate a script as workaround.

Last edited:
Eheh, i should have mentionned that i checked the path and it's correct (case too). And no parameters.

Qtopia is a .gpu but i don't think it makes a difference, does it ?

Qtopia does do some very strange things that an ordinary program would never do, it overwrites parts of the filesystem for example with its loopback mounts.

Another bug i ran into : QuickStart is configured to run gmenu2x when no key is pressed, but when i launch DrPocketSnes and then exit, it freezes at QuickStart screen (i'm using v1.11).

ak_ said:
Another bug i ran into : QuickStart is configured to run gmenu2x when no key is pressed, but when i launch DrPocketSnes and then exit, it freezes at QuickStart screen (i'm using v1.11).
Hrrm... that's one of the weird gp2x stuff.
Some programs automatically run /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu after they quit, some don't.
The one that don't simply quit and hang at the QuickStart screen at the moment...

I guess I need to create some kind of wrapper... I think Ryo also had to do this with gmenu2x, right?

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
I guess I need to create some kind of wrapper... I think Ryo also had to do this with gmenu2x, right?
Yes, here's what I do in gmenu2x (simplified for clarity)

CODE

//command contains the path to the application to run
if (params!="") command += " " + params;
//cmdclean is a function that "cleans" paths by backslashing special characters
if (wrapper) command += "; sync & cd "+cmdclean(path)+"; exec ./gmenu2x";
execlp("/bin/sh","/bin/sh","-c",command.c_str(),NULL);

Last edited by a moderator:
Back