Quick Question About Gbax.com

Titcher

I'm sorry if this has been asked or anything, I never noticed a threat about this. My question is about the text next to the GP32s, they say free screen cloth etc, well, one of the things is SMC/Game, does that mean, Game(which is an SMC) or an SMC as in choice of the two?

On gbax it says this;
GP32-BLU Console
Colour: White
*upto 166mhz*
Free Screen cloth
Free SMC/Game
Free RF Link

On the line Free SMC/Game, does that mean SMC or Game, or a game that's on SMC.

It means that you get a commercial game on a 16 meg SMC.

The reason it is written like that is probably because most of the GP32 commercial games are worth less that the media they are written to. :p

EDIT: As most people wipe the contents of the card and use it for something worth while, Like homebrew etc.

Trooper

Ok, thanks for that. Do you know what game it is they give?

Personally, I liked Dungeon and Guarder, but it takes up too much space, so you might want to do what I did when I bought mine a month or so ago:

When you get the game SMC (I got D and G), put it in the GP32 and plug the GP32 into the computer using the USB and the GPmanager software that comes with the package. Use the back-up feature in GPManager and then delete Dungeon and Guarder. You can then use the SMC for anything you want. Then, if you buy a new SMC, move the files on to the new card, format the old card, and then restore the backup of the game on to the old card.

If you buy from GBAx, you get:

A screen cloth (of negligable value, but it keeps the fingerprints and dust off the immaculate screen)

An RF-link, which is useless unless someone you know has one also, in which case you can play multiplayer, to some extent

Batteries. I kept mine for between recharges of the I-c3 NiMH batteries I bought at a walmart, which are ideal.

The USB cable and GPmanager software, which you can use untl you obtain a card reader, which will be much faster.

A CD-R of some games, apps, and stuff that is interesting. You can look through it and see if there's anything interesting, but it's going to be out of date before too long. I used it, and if I liked anything off of it, I could look it up on GP32x archive and get the newest one.

One more thing: It's a BLU+, meaning you will have some compatibility issues. That's not too bad, but there will be some programs that don't support it. You can check the compatibility lists floating around here for more info on that. Personally, I don't have much trouble finding compatible versions of software for mine; the only one I really miss is openSnes.

Hope that helps.

AXNJAXN posted on May 12 2005 at 01:10 AM said:
Personally, I liked Dungeon and Guarder, but it takes up too much space, so you might want to do what I did when I bought mine a month or so ago:

When you get the game SMC (I got D and G), put it in the GP32 and plug the GP32 into the computer using the USB and the GPmanager software that comes with the package. Use the back-up feature in GPManager and then delete Dungeon and Guarder. You can then use the SMC for anything you want. Then, if you buy a new SMC, move the files on to the new card, format the old card, and then restore the backup of the game on to the old card.

If you buy from GBAx, you get:

A screen cloth (of negligable value, but it keeps the fingerprints and dust off the immaculate screen)

An RF-link, which is useless unless someone you know has one also, in which case you can play multiplayer, to some extent

Batteries. I kept mine for between recharges of the I-c3 NiMH batteries I bought at a walmart, which are ideal.

The USB cable and GPmanager software, which you can use untl you obtain a card reader, which will be much faster.

A CD-R of some games, apps, and stuff that is interesting. You can look through it and see if there's anything interesting, but it's going to be out of date before too long. I used it, and if I liked anything off of it, I could look it up on GP32x archive and get the newest one.

One more thing: It's a BLU+, meaning you will have some compatibility issues. That's not too bad, but there will be some programs that don't support it. You can check the compatibility lists floating around here for more info on that. Personally, I don't have much trouble finding compatible versions of software for mine; the only one I really miss is openSnes.

Hope that helps.

Not sure I've quite understood, but am pretty sure if you delete D&A, then you can't put it back onto another SMC card....?

But 128 smc cards are so cheap nowadays, and 16megs is so small that it's no big deal to keep D&A!

Last edited by a moderator:
The cloth is actually very good quality, much better at cleaning glass than my girlfriend's glasses cloth thing. Unfortunately I lost mine. ;_;

I izda Boi inda Hood! posted on May 12 2005 at 11:55 AM said:
Not sure I've quite understood, but am pretty sure if you delete D&A, then you can't put it back onto another SMC card....?

But 128 smc cards are so cheap nowadays, and 16megs is so small that it's no big deal to keep D&A!

He's saying that if you get a new card you can copy the contents of the 16mb one to the new card and put D&G back on the old 16mb card.

Titcher posted on May 11 2005 at 10:49 PM said:
I'm sorry if this has been asked or anything, I never noticed a threat about this. My question is about the text next to the GP32s, they say free screen cloth etc, well, one of the things is SMC/Game, does that mean, Game(which is an SMC) or an SMC as in choice of the two?

You should get a game (Dungeon & Guarder) plus a 16MB SMC (well I did :lol: ). Actually, I thought the game was quite good (not as good as emulation though :D ).

:)

Well I got the Dungeons & Guarder SMC :p I would've preferred pinball dreams or astonishia but I guess it can't be helped :p

EDIT:

I actually did as mentioned above, backed up the game and used the SMC to put other stuff.. I think the backup got lost though! But it doesn't worry me I didn't like the game ehehe :D

16MB won't hold mhc at all and plus it is not worth it to wipe out a good game when you can buy 128MB SMC if you look hard enought off the NET or Ebay for 20 bucks.

This would have been cool back in the day when a 16mb was the largest and when they were expensive.

As far as the cloth you can by one for $1.50 at Wal-Mart that will work just as good as any screen cloth just won't the GP32 logo on it, blah blah..............

I'll probably play dungeon and guarder a bit and then wipe the card, I'm all out of cash now I've payed for the GP32. Should be here tommorow or the day after, I can't wait.

exael posted on May 12 2005 at 01:39 PM said:
Well I got the Dungeons & Guarder SMC :p I would've preferred pinball dreams or astonishia but I guess it can't be helped :p

EDIT:

I actually did as mentioned above, backed up the game and used the SMC to put other stuff.. I think the backup got lost though! But it doesn't worry me I didn't like the game ehehe :D

Look around on your HD, it's gonna be hidden in C:\Program Files\GAMEPARK\backups[somethingorother]

Agh, it arrived today, but the person it was being delivered to wasn't in, good thing they're redelivering tommorow. Are there any homebrew any of you suggest? Preferably nothing big.

Titcher posted on May 13 2005 at 04:43 PM said:
Agh, it arrived today, but the person it was being delivered to wasn't in, good thing they're redelivering tommorow. Are there any homebrew any of you suggest? Preferably nothing big.

Here's what I suggest for the SMC:
Lacuna (fun, but simple)
LittleJohnGP and NES stuff, since it's small.
BunnyTraps
and some sort of Pang

Back