Quick Networking Question

Twimfy

OMG 3 years here!
Website
www.stctg.co.uk
I've been setting up my Dads office with swanky new wireless routers and dongles etc. All of the PCs are now sitting on a lovely network, there's 3 of them in total all running fully updated copies of win XP pro and all using the same networking hardware and configurations.

However one bastard machine doesn't want to comply and no matter what I try it will not allow other computers to view its hard drive (I'm sharing the C: drives on all the computers...don't ask why its compex) I have all sharing rights enabled and all TCP/IP settings etc configured correctly it just won't give. It can see the other two's content from the machine but not the other way around and it's very frustrating, especially seeing as the machine in question is the one with the office printer attached to it.

If anyone could point out the problem or suggest some ideas that would be great.
Thanks in advance.

We have the same situation in our house's LAN. One of my friends' computer replies 'Access Denied' whenever anyone tries to access his shares, but he can access ours just fine. Checked permissions etc... not sure why it's happening.

Man I hate watching the install screens too! they should have it where you can play teris or something as the S.O.B. installs. I've watched way too many installs over the years.

Can't you just go away and sleep whilst it's installing? :huh:
No need to watch it... slowly... progressing right?
last time I installed an OS (Ubuntu linux) I just left it to its own devices after the initial decisions, then just checked back every half hour... or is Windows XP a bitch to install or something?

Its not that hard to install and I guess I could get up and wander around outside in the cold, but I tend to just sit there and stare at the screen. I guess when I do it, I want to start installing everything that needs to be installed on the computer as soon as the OS install is done.

Its just like any other install I've installed: Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, both XPs, os 9, osx, and yellow dog.

I just reinstalled XP for the guy next door after he got some horrible virus because he didn't have antivirus software. Anyways I wanted to get that thing out of my room and back to him ASAP and so I just sort of watched it install. I used to have a class in High School where I would fix the schools computers and often I would have to watch it install because those needed to get back into service as soon as they could also.

So to answer your question. No, you don't have to watch it install because it will stop whenever it needs something inputed. Like, what time zone you are in.

Exactly my point ;) Personally I can't imagine just sitting and watching the installation that could take hours, but then that's just my view :) If I had to do that though, I'd make sure I had some good game or book with me at least :p (This isn't a critisism! Thought I'd better clarify that...)

Ferentix posted on Dec 12 2005 at 08:04 PM said:
Can't you just go away and sleep whilst it's installing? :huh:
No need to watch it... slowly... progressing right?
last time I installed an OS (Ubuntu linux) I just left it to its own devices after the initial decisions, then just checked back every half hour... or is Windows XP a bitch to install or something?

There was nothing to do but watch it, besides I had radio 2 playing in the background.

XP isn't a bitch to install, its just that you never know when it'll end or bring up a prompt and when it's 3am and you want to go home it pays to watch it to get that machine finished asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back