Quick Joystick Fix

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
If you own a GP32 with an unresponsive joystick (I did) there is a cheap, tiny effort fix. What I did to fix mine was I took the back off and I taped a small bit of crumpled paper inside the back of the console behind where the joystick unit is. Experiment and find out how much paper to put in there to get the level of response you require. I also have a more permanant way of fixing it, but it doesn't seem to work as well as crumpled paper.....

I'm not sticking ANYTHING inside my precious GP32 that doesn't belong there ... I.E. Two AA battieries, and that's it!

sounds good - i will give it a go.

my joystick is utter crap for shooters, just cant hit the diagonals and i didnt really want to send it to MASHMODS so this is worth a try.

cheers

yeah, please let us know if ur tries are successfull. And if possible send in some pics so that i can know exactly where to put the papers :)

trust me, jmetal knows what he's talking about - I just tried the fix on mine and took smash tv for a test drive and the diagonals are near-perfect, smash is a pretty diagonal intensive game you know!!

cheers man, I've been hoping to get this fixed for ages now - it was starting to get me down when trying to play all these wonderful shootemups :)

Great Idea! One question though, what made you try this?
Oh ya, what piece of paper did you crumble up?

heh, I don't think it's that precise to be choosy about paper. I just used an envelope that was lying around, folded it up about 8 times and used scissors to make it circular then taped it over with masking tape. the case is bulging a bit now so I think I overdid it a bit :rolleyes:

who cares tho!

jmetal88 posted on Apr 15 2004 at 02:48 AM said:
If you own a GP32 with an unresponsive joystick (I did) there is a cheap, tiny effort fix. What I did to fix mine was I took the back off and I taped a small bit of crumpled paper inside the back of the console behind where the joystick unit is. Experiment and find out how much paper to put in there to get the level of response you require. I also have a more permanant way of fixing it, but it doesn't seem to work as well as crumpled paper.....
What is this? Put GARBAGE inside my GP32? Well it does sound weird but you never know.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same exact thing. "What the hell is this paper-stuffing BS?" Truth be told, it really works and works damn well. It won't stop your joystick from wiggling around, but all my diagonals register right away now, even the top-left which I could never hit at all.

When you open up the back (look at the picture that's posted, just crumple a small bunch of paper (I'd say the size of a large peanut) and place it right in the center of the circle. It shouldn't touch any of the edges of the circle, rather, it should just lie right in the middle. Put a piece of tape over it to secure it while you put the case back together. When you piece the system back together, there will be pressure by the joystick area since the paper is there. You should be able to push it together. If it REALLY gives you some resistance, make the paper smaller. Don't be stupid and break your GP in your hands. Screw it all together and give it a go. Nice. :D

My one warning: I weirded up my L and R a little bit. The R button is coming off a -tad- loose, but only a tiny bit. So when you take apart your system, try to keep everything in place!

Heh, don't worry. You won't break anything if you're careful, rcx. Start off with a peanut-sized crumple of paper. That should do it on the first try.

mine's bulging a bit, think I put 1 or two layers of paper too many in there :D it does stop the 'wobbling' of the pad to a certain extent too, it was very loose before.

I think this fix and pulling the pad out slightly make it a very responsive stick

nice one for pinning this btw- it's the best solution to this problem imo

Back