Pandora Question about pnd-validation.

lomaxx

What's the proper way of validating a PND? I had my problems with it once again, after things worked without issues for quite some time. But yesterday I updated the "/usr/pandora/scripts/PXML_schema.xsd" and after that pnd_make.sh (or xmllint) spit out errors. After a long time of trying arround, I managed to get a working version without errors. But for that I had to completely remove the <package>-block.

I doubt very much that this is the supposed way of doing things since i expect http://repo.openpandora.org/ to make use of it. I didn't yet try to upload the new pnd to the repo since I expect confusion to happen with the <package>-block missing.

Now I could still add the block and forget about validating the PXML, but that's not exactly the way validation should work. Isn't it?

It would be nice if there would be a way to validate a PND so that it fullfills the PXML-standard AND the repo.

Also the wiki-pages about validation are rather outdated, unfinished and confusing. For example the largest part of this page is out dated. Why isn't it simply deleted then? And the examples that point to the git and thus should be up to date, don't even mention

"<PXML xmlns="http://openpandora.o...espaces/PXML">"

but just

"<PXML>"

which leads to an error while validating at once. I know that that the idea behind the wiki is that everybody (including me) can make changes (hopefully improvements), but I simply don't feel firm enough about the topic to edit them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the simple answer would be - because no one feels responsible.

As far as I did understand skeezix the original implementation was done rather "quick fashioned" and later extensions were made when needed (milkshake developing the repo) but I think it never left the working prototype state, and no one felt it was his baby to take care of.

But why did you update the schema file in the first place ? The old one you used seem to work fine with the repo and in Pandoras eco system.

Sorry I can't be of any help here

Edit

Also the wiki-pages about validation are rather outdated, unfinished and confusing. For example the largest part of this page is out dated. Why isn't it simply deleted then? And the examples that point to the git and thus should be up to date, don't even mention
Maybe I don't understand what your trying to say, but the linked page was last edited 12/2011 and cleary states that everything is outdated and you should use the examples in the git => ?

Edit 2:

I found this old question of mine - don't know if it is of any help, but i thought it wouldn't hurt either

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, thatgui. Thanks for your answer.

But why did you update the schema file in the first place ? The old one you used seem to work fine with the repo and in Pandoras eco system.

Because for me it's a logic process to keep up with the latest version of a standard, in order to satisfy programms that (should) use that latest standard. ;)

Maybe I don't understand what your trying to say, but the linked page was last edited 12/2011 and cleary states that everything is outdated and you should use the examples in the git => ?

The point about the git-examples is that they also do not pass the PXML-validation.

Well, as long as there is no clean way of doing it, I will probably just throw in the <package>-block after validation and see what the upload-validation-mechanism of the repo will say about it.

Back