Python And Opengl Es

Zarneth

Website
Visit site
I've reciently fallen in love with python (even shelled out for the pro version of the wingware python IDE) and I've got the hang of GTK and am now considering looking into learning openGL. I toyed around with Visual Basic and DirectX in the past so I'm not completely new to 3d.

I'll likely start with a hight mapped terrain engine with limited objects. That could easily go towards a game similar to High Octane, Magic carpet 2, Monster truck madness or Fury3. (All dos or early windows games) Making a Seed based random level generator would also be a fun challenge.

That said, can anyone give me recommendations on what common python libraries to use to allow for the easiest possible porting to Pandora when the time comes?

Pandora's supposedly going to support OpenGL ES, so I've done some goggling and there's little info on using it with python. Though one site indicated it did work on a Nokia Tablet. Is there much work to port from OpenGL to OpenGL ES? Assuming there'll even be Python OpenGL ES support on the Pandora.

There are python modules for OpenGL ES 1.0, e.g. in Nokia's PyS60 project, but there is none for OpenGL ES 2.0 yet.

That said, creating a wrapper module should be a rather small task for someone with a bit of experience with OpenGL ES and Python.

It is easier to port from OpenGL ES to OpenGL because ES 1.1 and 2.0 are for the most part subsets of the desktop 1.5 and 2.0 versions, respectively. However if you have a look at the ES specs and confine yourself to what's available there, porting from OpenGL to OpenGL ES should be just as easy. Most importantly, make sure that you either use fixed-function only (ES 1.1) or shaders only (ES 2.0).

Back