Pyra is very interesting, is it similar to OpenPandora and when?

E

equex

My wife just found the OpenPandora project, and I understand a pre-order scandal happened.

I feel your pain.

I come from the world of Bitcoin hardware scams, and the way to deal with this kind of stuff is using a third party to hold the money.

But anyway, she was going to get me an OpenPandora 1GHZ, but of course I'm interested in the DragonBox Pyra now:D

Booting to Android/CyanogenMod and some ARM Linux from a SDCard is what i really want!

And the ability to run emulators like MAME and WinUAE on it is fantastic.

Pyra will be pretty similar to the OpenPandora 1GHZ, right, and will function in mostly the same way (with basically 2x the speed, i skimmed the specs quickly) ? 

I don't really much care for the GSM/mobile phone functionality though. I hope one can shut down the various radios to save power.

Good luck,don't give up! Any idea when it's complete?

(PS, your captcha is very difficult)

Booting to Android/CyanogenMod and some ARM Linux from a SDCard is what i really want!
Android n pandora is a community thing and did not happened at first. Pyra will have it the same way. There's no promise on the when it'll come.
Pyra will be pretty similar to the OpenPandora 1GHZ, right, and will function in mostly the same way (with basically 2x the speed, i skimmed the specs quickly) ?
Very similar, but with newer and better Linux distro. Perf wise I expect more than a 2x.
I hope one can shut down the various radios to save power.
Sure.
Any idea when it's complete?
There's no official date. It will be done when done :) If current pace can be kept, in 6 months sound like a good guesstimate.

The Pyra will be much faster then 2x Ghz Pandora. More about 4x times CPU wise. Here is a CPU benchmark. http://pastebin.com/KzU7ZBpb

There is no GPU benchmark avaible but since PPSSPP (PSP emulator) and Reicast (Dreamcast emulator) are relying on a strong GPU [correction, Reicast is limited by the CPU on the Pandora], it must be way stronger then the Pandoras GPU. Reicast is in fact too fast since it has no speed limiter yet (but it can be added in the future).

There is no preorder until the prototype is finished (almost done) and reviewed.  Global Component is manufacturing the Pyra, a company which took over the Pandora production and did quite well. And it is located only few kilometers away from EvilDragon the Creator of the Pyra (and owner of the Dragonbox shop).

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1Ghz OpenPandora is a very capable device already. And it's available now. The Pyra will be awsome of course, but you have to wait for an unknown amount of time.

(Reiscast has a speed limiter: turn sound ON)

(Reicast is not GPU bounded: there is an automatic frameskip for that. It is CPU bounded)

(PPSSPP can be both, CPU or GPU bounded, depending on the game, but most of the time GPU bounded yeah).

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll wait for the Pyra, I'm in no hurry!

I'll make an account here RealSoon and join the discussions.

In short, I'm a Linux/Debian user, a former Commodore Amiga/C64 user, and I write Android apps on my free time when I'm not tinkering with my Arduino boards :)

So this is right up my alley!

Huzzah! Welcome aboard.

I should point out the "Two Months" is a running joke around here, from the days when Cragix was running things. Six months sounds not unreasonable, but is by no means fixed or certain.

Nice guess but wrong :) .

It'll be about 5 - 10 times the speed.

Pyra's processor is Cortex A15 and dual core.

Pandora is Cortex A8 and single core. (Two Generations earlier)

Pyra is basically the same as Pandora but speed will be in noway comparable.

I don't really much care for the GSM/mobile phone functionality though. I hope one can shut down the various radios to save power.
Unless plans have changed there should be a wifi only version (possibly a little cheaper than the other one, too).

I don't think all of the cell radio stuff has been decided yet because US/North America went and screwed everything up by using different stuff than (most of?) the rest of the world.

Do you mean multithreading, or multiprocessing?  IIRC under Linux processes are fixed to one CPU core, so if you want a program to run on multiple cores simultaneously, you need multiple processes.  Or, alternatively, if stuff running on one core but in multiple threads can run up to 5x faster, we can get up to 10x faster using both cores simultanoeusly ;)

Do you mean multithreading, or multiprocessing?  IIRC under Linux processes are fixed to one CPU core, so if you want a program to run on multiple cores simultaneously, you need multiple processes.  Or, alternatively, if stuff running on one core but in multiple threads can run up to 5x faster, we can get up to 10x faster using both cores simultanoeusly ;)
I meant threading. Linux threads belonging to the same process can definitely run on separate cores. It doesn't usually make sense to fork a process anymore.

Do you mean multithreading, or multiprocessing?  IIRC under Linux processes are fixed to one CPU core,
No it is very easy on each major os to have a single process run on each avaible core, since OpenMP was created.

C++

#pragma omp parallel for

for(i = 0; i < 1024; i++)

{

array_c = array_a + array_b;

}

Works with all cores which are avaible in the system. The University of Brunswick has a working version which works even with Xeon Phi Cards.

Back