Documentation Suggestions:

Changing Resolution & Refresh rate

Configuring multiple displays

Configuring Brightness / Contrast

Changing colour profiles

Last edited by a moderator:
*egad* i'll fix it up later.

Got any ideas?
Maybe change the name of the thread to Pyra display discussion or something? All the stuff you listed is managed by the OMAP5's display controller, and that rotation chip Pyra's using.

The more advanced stuff outside of the display controller is going to be 2D blitting (there's a 2D accelerator for it in OMAP5, it's been somewhat documented/reverse engineered) and 3D via the SGX544MP2. Which is going to mainly be about OpenGL ES 2.0 support.

My search terms are failing me, and my question seems like it might be on topic.  Wally can let me know if it isn't.

Since the OMAP5 can support 4 displays would it be very difficult for us to have multiple external displays attached to the Pyra?  I was looking at wikipedia (I know, very dangerous) and was unclear on this point.  I would like to have 2 displays attached, although if the best I can do without heavy modding is one and the internal display, I am fine with that as long as they can show independent content.  Virtual desktops have long been my friend, so I can just continue to use them, as well (they have saved me space and money so far, so maybe they are the better option for me for now).

My search terms are failing me, and my question seems like it might be on topic.  Wally can let me know if it isn't.

Since the OMAP5 can support 4 displays would it be very difficult for us to have multiple external displays attached to the Pyra?  I was looking at wikipedia (I know, very dangerous) and was unclear on this point.  I would like to have 2 displays attached, although if the best I can do without heavy modding is one and the internal display, I am fine with that as long as they can show independent content.  Virtual desktops have long been my friend, so I can just continue to use them, as well (they have saved me space and money so far, so maybe they are the better option for me for now).
I think the one HDMI out and the LCD screen can be really the only displays driven at once, unless you count some USB solution. I have a hard time thinking there will be enough connections on the CPU board to Main board connector to bring out the extra displays.

That sucks.  I have never tried any of the USB options.  How well do they work, and are they going to eat up many resources?  One of the scenarios I am thinking of is playing with a couple of (non-Android) VMs.

That sucks.  I have never tried any of the USB options.  How well do they work, and are they going to eat up many resources?  One of the scenarios I am thinking of is playing with a couple of (non-Android) VMs.
Over USB 3.0 the bandwidth should not be an issue. It will eat some cpu and memory bus resources (it's for this reason that the landscape-to-portrait rotation is done with a dedicated chip instead of just doing it in software). All in all, it should work rather well.

Over USB 3.0 the bandwidth should not be an issue. It will eat some cpu and memory bus resources (it's for this reason that the landscape-to-portrait rotation is done with a dedicated chip instead of just doing it in software). All in all, it should work rather well.
Yes, but don't expect to play games in Full-HD if they are already slightly struggling in 720p on the LCD :)  

Ok, interesting stuff.  I wasn't thinking of games, mainly just poking around with different OSs.  If I can get something I want to play around with working well as a VM then I could just use them as that.  I would rather experiment on my Pyra than on a machine I rely on (although if I use my Pyra for texts and calls then it may become very important to me).  I know that it would probably be easier to try this on an x86 box, but...well, I don't want to, and it would be fun for me.  I would like a full size display for the VMs, though.  Although this thread isn't the place for it, I wonder if networking them might be a problem.  These are the sort of things I wanted to look into for the Pandora, yet never did, and assume can't be done for several reasons.

I saw where multiple displays were mentioned in a couple posts, but never saw any plans mentioned either way for implementing them.  I take it TrashyMG was correct, and USB is the way to go since I don't want to poke around too much inside.  I think I have a few things to request in the thread about what we want to see or have tested.

Back