PWYW / Free / Donation based Webcomics

Girl Genius (Gaslamp fantasy adventures with SCIENCE!)
SMBC (nerdy jokes and amusing thoughts)
Questionable Content (fictional slice of life with extra robots)

Cyanide and Happiness: Often politically incorrect short comics (and animated shorts), with varying quality[/url]
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereals: lots of jokes for geeks and/or scientifically inclineds
Dresden Codak: Transhumanism and philosophy
Nedroid: cute and silly short comics.
Romantically Apocalyptic: very nice visuals, confusing and weird story, it's more of a novel with pretty pictures than a webcomic.
CommitStrip (French version here): by coders, about coders, for coders
Dr McNinja: A comic about a ninja who is also a doctor in a world that's more or less ruled by the Rule of Cool
Strong Female Protagonist: A progressive deconstruction of the superhero concept

I've just started reading Stand Still, Stay Silent. It's full of post-apocolyptic nordic goodness and is beautiful to boot (though it does look to have been infected by manga at some point - the character page is full of characters lopped off at the ankle, but it has a strong enough style of its own that I don't really mind). I'm only up to around page 70 so far, but so far it's all felt planned from the beginning, and I'm not sure what it's like once the story starts treading water, but the new comics still look beautiful, so I'm not too worried.

Back