Puzzling pandora crash

dimag0g

Very Active Member
Today my Pandora managed to get into state where boot process never completes. The progress bar on the boot screen just stops at some point and won't go further no matter how long you wait or how many times you reboot. It happened to me second time this time, so I took a bit of time to investigate before reflash.

It looks like my file system crashed hard and lost several (or perhaps all) libraries in /usr/lib The interesting part is that the startup script tries to replace 3D libraries (perhaps with original copies).

Does anyone know what happens to 3D libraries at startup, or how to avoid this kind of crashes?

What are you booting from?  Internal NAND flash, or an SD card with a filesystem on it?

How do you know it lost those libs?  I was going to suggest booting from another filesystem (either internal NAND if you're using SD, or vice versa) so you can see what's broken; run an fsck on it, but perhaps you've already done that?

Losing lots of files in the same directory suggests an error writing the folder inode rather than orphaned file inodes to me, but perhaps there are multiple crashes nixing linked libs until it finally hits something that breaks the boot.  How many libs are missing?

It's also odd for those inodes to be broken, as the libs in /usr/libs are not files that generally get written except in a sys upgrade.  It's hard to deduce more what happened without more concrete data.

Hi again,

I have created a bootable SD card, but it won't mount the NAND partitions automatically. Could someone help me out with a command to do it?

Good luck with getting this fixed.

The title of this thread might work well for a game.

mkdir -p /mnt/NAND/boot /mnt/NAND/rootfs

ubiattach -m 3 -d 0
mount -t ubifs /dev/ubi0_0 /mnt/NAND/boot

ubiattach -m 4 -d 1
mount -t ubifs /dev/ubi1_0 /mnt/NAND/rootfs

Thank, all done. I found that /usr/lib on NAND was missing all files, so I copied the same directory from the SD card and my Pandora was able to boot again.

EDIT: I was able to reproduce the crash while messing with a non-compatible PSU. My pandora was working without a battery and the PSU wasn't able to deliver enough power, switching off in the middle of a boot process. After several reboots, I got the same situation - /usr/lib folder missing all its files.

Does that mean the boot process routinely writes in the NAND?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back