PURELY HYPOTHETICAL: Broken DSP's, and you'd never know it?

agwellin

Still Fresh
So, given how the DSP is currently doing about/exactly zilch, is there any way to test if the DSP in my Pandora actually works? It hit me while I was thinking about the WiFi situation that the same thing could happen to other chips, then it hit me that it could happen to the DSP and you'd never know it until the devs eventually get it up and running.

As the title says, purely hypothetical. There is no reason to believe anything is wrong with those chips.

The DSP is integrated with the CPU, it's not an extra chip like the wifi. It breaking would be like if the RAM broke. There's a better chance of the TV out being broken than the DPS, I should think.

Ahhh, okay. The way people talk about, I assumed it had to be a separate piece of hardware on the board somewhere, didn't know it was all the same chip. So, any way to test TV-out then? :p

Well it IS possible that only part of a chip if faultly, but the rest of the chip is fine. This is why we have 3-core CPU's, for example. But those defects should have been caught at point of manufacture.

Unless, maybe, TI ship all their chips with broken DSPs to OPT, because they know OPT won't notice !!1!

:lol:

Back