Psp Get A Flash Player

DijiTao

Saw this today: http://www.psphacks.net/content/view/639/2/ and it really caught my eye. I suspect that this project is based on Gnash (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/) given its limitations and that the developer is promising to release the source in a couple of days. This might make for an excellent starting point for a GP2X swf player, and I’m just curious if any of the psp users could give it a try to see how well it works.

I think Gnash uses OpenGL, nickspoon was considering it when he ported his flash player.

I have a PSP I can try it tomorrow. If we get a Flash player on GP2X then I might finally be able to write something for it as I'm a Graphic Designer and have always felt a bit left out of the coding scene!

®

I think this might be more then a simple port thou - it looks like at the very least this has a pretty front end for loading the files. Prehaps given the amount of attention this is getting some active development might happen on this project to increase compatability.

The main problem with porting flash stuff is that you have to actually edit the games thenselves .

My friend used to do it for ibproarcade ( for this kind of forum software no less ) so the submit score functions would work with the arcade system .

Same concept you would have to decompile the flash game and edit the buttons used and recompile it .

Not hard , but would have to be done on a game by game basis .

I did look at Gnash, but it uses OpenGL (and for good reason). It's the most advanced open source flash player out there, and the only other candidate was GPLFlash2 (which also uses OpenGL). Every other flash playing program/lib only works with Flash <=4.

EDIT: I can't seem to find the sourcecode, can anyone point me at it?

nickspoon posted on Feb 28 2006 at 12:20 PM said:
I did look at Gnash, but it uses OpenGL (and for good reason). It's the most advanced open source flash player out there, and the only other candidate was GPLFlash2 (which also uses OpenGL). Every other flash playing program/lib only works with Flash <=4.

The source to the PSP flash player hasn't been repleased yet - I'm sure it's using GPL'd code (who in there right mind would start from scratch when there's already perfectly good GPL'd code out there) so it will be released "soon".

Last edited by a moderator:
i would like a working flash player for gp2x just to view flash movies. game im less interested in even though that would be cool. the only kind of movie i havent found any good way of converting is flash movies which ive only seen work in trial versions of pay software which i dont feel like payiing for and the files are much smaller as flash files than converted avi files

There is an official Flash Player for PS3 and PSP coming out by Macromedia, look on the Revolution Fanboy Engadget blog and on the post about Eyetoy Revolution killer for ps2. Its somewhere there that has the info on the offical flash player.

nickspoon posted on Mar 1 2006 at 04:20 AM said:

Spoony,

Developer Subversion Access via SSH

Only project developers can access the SVN tree via this method. SSH must be installed on your client machine. Substitute developername with the proper values. Enter your site password when prompted.

svn checkout svn+ssh://developername@svn.dev.psphacks.net/svn/swfplayer

Perhaps you should inquire for developer access. It's relevant, and it's GPL code so they really have to comply. *cheesy grin*

Allan.

jbrodack posted on Mar 1 2006 at 12:32 AM said:
i would like a working flash player for gp2x just to view flash movies. game im less interested in even though that would be cool. the only kind of movie i havent found any good way of converting is flash movies which ive only seen work in trial versions of pay software which i dont feel like payiing for and the files are much smaller as flash files than converted avi files

i second this, it wouls be great to have a flash movie player. :)

Bumping a topic several months old with an "I agree" reply isn't a great idea.

Shirohagen posted on Feb 28 2006 at 05:54 PM said:
If we get a Flash player on GP2X then I might finally be able to write something for it as I'm a Graphic Designer and have always felt a bit left out of the coding scene!

You know, there's a fair chance you could get yourself a coding slave cooperator if you come up with a cool game concept and you describe it in full enough detail with perhaps some mock-ups and things. I've found people to code both my own projects, Li'l Trooper (It's a fairly new topic in the cool ideas forum) and Bork: In Your Pocket. Didn't really take more than a day or so before someone found out they wanted to help.

This community is wonderful like that. There are tons of talented people who are willing to help eachother achieve some cool stuff. Some of them are already inductees in my Talent Thread (look in my signature), and you could be too! </plug> (I know I haven't updated in a little while. I'll get right on it...)

EDIT: Argh, didn't notice date.

I searched the forum for flash players and found this thred, I could have made another thred but then i would have been told to search the forum.

I posted because it would be nice to find out if there is any update on a flash player because of the advance ments in flash video. :)

bunniboi posted on Aug 4 2006 at 09:26 AM said:
I searched the forum for flash players and found this thred, I could have made another thred but then i would have been told to search the forum.

I posted because it would be nice to find out if there is any update on a flash player because of the advance ments in flash video. :)

I'm relatively certain that flash video is much more CPU intensive than regular video, but that's just an uneducated guess.

Back