GP32 Project

Paradox

oh em gee
Website
Visit site
How much would a developer want $$$ to make a good (playable) speed gameboy advance emulator with sound?

I'm not certain it's even possible, but some posts from Guru members think it will be, only it will take about a year to happen, or maybe more.

So I'm just curious, how much would X developer want for such a project? Maybe something could be worked out through Escrow/RentACoder.com.

I don't think the problem is money, I think the problem is finding a developer that is both knowledgable enough to write a HH-app (or other way of taking full advantage of the processor similarities) and interested enough to want to write one.

Hmmm, The likelihood of me doing a gba emulator is about as slim as Microsoft moving to open source :D

hey squidge:

is about as slim as Microsoft moving to open source 

Microsoft has move to open source;

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wix/
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/Licensing/WiX.mspx

remember WiX, Windows Installer XML

I think you want to say Microsoft has move WINDOWS to open source :lol:

the issue with people here may not be money, but there are many professional programmers over at RentACoder.com which take jobs for money, they earn a living doing it, what i want to know is an estimate of what anyone of those people would want for such a project, if its feasable, i could have it done, or pershaps pool money with others interested to have it done.

I would love to code a full speed gba emulator. Although the amount of time I can devote to it is next to none. I guess if it were to be completed in a reasonable amount of time I would like my salary to be paid :)

I have been planning on getting started on putting savestates in nknes and getting the snes working better just havent gotten around to it yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks I will have some time.

I can understand emulating out-of-production stuff like the Gameboy and Lynx, but if you want GBA that badly, why not just buy a GBA/DS? :unsure:

i have 2 GBA's

and where did i come across as "badly" wanting a gba emulator? im willing to pay some programmer for an emulator which i want, nothing "badly" about it, maybe some people just have more money to throw about than others

i have 2 GBA's

and where did i come across as "badly" wanting a gba emulator? im willing to pay some programmer for an emulator which i want, nothing "badly" about it, maybe some people just have more money to throw about than others

so... err... you've got 2 gba's already. and are still willing to pay someone to write a gba emulator?

wow.

i don't get it :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand emulating out-of-production stuff like the Gameboy and Lynx, but if you want GBA that badly, why not just buy a GBA/DS? :unsure:

It wouldn't suprise me if most of the people who want a GBA emulator are actually already GBA owners (I am). I think the main attraction is to have a handheld that you can play all your favourite games on rather than having to cart around a rucksack full of consoles. That's what attracts me to it.. plus I have a 1st gen GBA with an unbacklit screen so the GP2x's screen would also be an advantage. Even if you have an SP the 2x's screen is much nicer (in my opinion atleast).

I am, of course, not just aiming this at you fishybawb - its just a general comment. It was just your post that prompted me to post :)

Was a gba emulator not done on the gp32? How did that fare?

Not enough power in the GP32 to make it happen.

I think the general consensus is to use GPAdvance as a starting point to get the GP2X going on proper emulation.
The problem wasn't the GP32's power, but GPAdvance was written from scratch and would have taken ages to finish. It ran a couple of tech demos at proper speed, but it was far from being able to run all commercial games for the GBA (I believe it ran ONE...). :(

hey squidge:

is about as slim as Microsoft moving to open source

Microsoft has move to open source;

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wix/
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/Licensing/WiX.mspx

remember WiX, Windows Installer XML

I think you want to say Microsoft has move WINDOWS to open source :lol:
To make the move to open source, you have to write a little more than one program... If the underlying source code of Windows was revieled, you could say that Microsoft would have made the move. Chanses aren't very big that that will happen, though :p

i have 2 GBA's

so... err... you've got 2 gba's already. and are still willing to pay someone to write a gba emulator?

wow.

maybe cause he can get the games for free on an emulator :p ;)

i have 2 GBA's

wow.

maybe cause he can get the games for free on an emulator :p ;)
I swear dude, you ought to be shot for bringing that up :angry: Begin flame war.

. . . why not just buy a GBA/DS?  :unsure:
Even if you have an SP the 2x's screen is much nicer (in my opinion atleast).

My brother has an SP and a regular.

The SP has the standard Front Light, nobody ever turns it off so Nin*endo switched to a Backlight.

I agree that the screen is the number one reason, even if you own or can use a real GBA.

I guess I don't even care because I only liked playing GBC games on my brother's SP anyway because it had a light (I was playing Zelda oracle of ages, mmm :D ).

Back