GP32 Project: Shadowlord!

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
Hello, all!

I was just thinking to myself earlier today that I would like to program some killer game for either the GP32 or GPx2 (which is what I'm calling the GP2x).

I couldn't really think of any ideas (and I'm not that good of a coder).

Then I suddenly remembered an old Parker Brothers board game called "Shadowlord!" and I thought of an interesting project involving it to propose in the team building section (mainly because I want to be directly involved in making it, but it's something I think is a bit difficult for my skills by myself, remember, I brought you all the Winking Man Game).

Anyways, my project idea is that I could gather a small group of people in the GP32 community to really go over the board game and we could create a complete RPG storyboard based off of the storyline and gameplay of the board game, then eventually, with the help of a few additional coders, turn that storyboard into a really good GP32 (or possibly GPx2) game.

Anyways, anyone who thinks they can help in any way (including artists, we will definately need good game artwork for this to be any good) please post up here, or get into contact with me.

Thanks in advance!

I would love to but my artwork sucks and right now the only language I code in for the gp32 is vns (if that counts :p Its like saying you're programming in html :lol: ). I know visual basic and may learn c++ if I ever get any time but right now most of my free time is spent working on my vns game fate (please check it out at www.fategp.com or in the beta testing forum!).

I will do absolutely everything I can. I have a pretty good concept of how the game works, so I will probably begin designing the storyboard this week, others can join in as I get going. I also intend to code as much of it as I can (I know I said I'm not that good of a coder, but I can produce good code, it just takes me a bit longer than most people, and I'd like to divide up some of the work to other people, just so I don't get overwhelmed and drop the project). I think the only area I will not be much (if any) help in is artwork. I am a terrible artist. Although I could help w/ scans of the game cards and such (each character I intend to place in the RPG is a card in the board game) as I do own a copy of the board game. There is also a particular structure of how events occur in the board game and I very much want to recreate that part by myself in the RPG just because it's so interesting.

Also, in case any of you wanted to know, the RPG will be programmed in C (just because that's the only language I bothered to learn how to code for the GP32 in).

EDIT: Oh, and the game takes place in outer space, just so you know..... there will be some planets and ruins and such, though.

Jaw posted on Sep 7 2005 at 11:20 AM said:
if you do scan the cards, i could clean up the scans if you need that doing.
i don't know the game myself, so not much of a clue to what other art needs doing ;)

Well, I think other art would have to wait until I decide how to present the storyline and gameplay first (obviously, I don't want gameplay to be exactly like the board game, or else we'd end up with a 1-player board game for GP32, when it's meant for 2-4 players, and nobody wants that). I've got a bunch of ideas in my head at the moment, but I'm still trying to come up with a really great one.

It's sad that Shadowlord! is such an overlooked game.....

@ echidna:
That link just brings me to a hotmail login page....
And I'm not sure what you mean by "if I fit", I'm not being choosy about volunteers.... Either you'll help or you won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
but if 2 persons are doing gfx, what will you do?
get the both in your team? even if their style are differents?
if they are 50? you alreedy have to make a choice.
What do you want exactly? what don't you want?

@ echidna:

Oh, you meant for the graphics.

I hadn't a clue what you were talking about since that link was broken.

I see that it's fixed now.

Hmm... well.... I like what you have on there.... I'm not exactly sure if the style would fit the game or not....

PM your e-mail address to me and I'll scan in one of the cards for you, I'd like to see you interpretations of how to draw the game characters before deciding.

So, what language do you want it in?

I`m thinking for a long time to make a RPG or at least a rpg system in Fenix.

But I can`t promise anything to work out well :D
Tell me if you`re interested.

@ Quiest

I want to program it in C. I really wouldn't mind working on it with someone who is inexperienced in C, because I am as well. I like something about the challenge of coming up with my own methods of doing things and tricks rather than relying on someone else's work and I'd actually feel more comfortable in working with someone going through the same learning experience. If you're game to try your hand at staggering your way through C, then welcome aboard!

Sorry it's taking me so long to start, everyone. I may have picked the wrong time to start this, as I'm really busy at the moment, but I'll do my best with the little time I havel.

Back