Programmer Looking To Make Games For Gp32

Grebn

Hello all,

I recently bought a GP32 and I'm very keen to start programming for it. However, I'm unsure as to what developer program to use - ideally I'd like something code-driven that I could use from my PC to create .fxe files, although a reasonably versatile 'click and point' system might satisfy.

The first thing I'd like to make for GP32 is a Zelda-perspective version of Ultima 9: Ascension and dish it out free to the community (I'm still in awe at how helpful everyone has been with assisting my early GP related hurdles). I used to program in the old days (a couple of Amstrad Action covertape games and rejection letters from Amsoft and Mastertronic under my belt!) and the old bug is starting to bite again.

Also, wouldn't a top-down version of GTA3 be awesome?!

Anyway, links, ideas or general direction shoving appreciated.

Paul

PS : Also, a decent sprite / tile creator would be good.

No! GTA would not be cool...

i think elastomania(or ELMA or ACROSS) would be the best game on GP ever!

Also, wouldn't a top-down version of GTA3 be awesome?!

scr004.gif

http://www.grandtheftendo.com/

It's being developed for the NES (which can, of course, be emulated on the GP32)

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about Grand Theftendo! How could I - I've been waiting for it for months now. I think its going to be great though.

Paul

ignore EVERYONE, do what you think would be the most fun thing to make (although I really like your idea of a zelda, I think that one may be being developed by someone else as well. Not that there is anything wrong with a bit of competition...;))

Always good to see new devvers, welcome!

Hey! That's always good advice - I believe someone is coding Zelda - Octarina Of Time 2 for GP32, but what I'm aiming for is Ultima Ascension in a Zelda format (the PC version is 3D). Its a great game, but the release was rushed and flawed.

I'm interested in that TI82 clone of GTA though - I'm going to look at it now..

Paul

Hey! That's always good advice - I believe someone is coding Zelda - Octarina Of Time 2 for GP32, but what I'm aiming for is Ultima Ascension in a Zelda format (the PC version is 3D). Its a great game, but the release was rushed and flawed.

I'm interested in that TI82 clone of GTA though - I'm going to look at it now..

Paul
Try posting your question in the "Developers Corner", as you will be unlikely to get serious answers here. :)

Beside, does anyone knows if this GTA-clone to the TI82 also works on the TI83+?

Hello all,

I recently bought a GP32 and I'm very keen to start programming for it. However, I'm unsure as to what developer program to use - ideally I'd like something code-driven that I could use from my PC to create .fxe files, although a reasonably versatile 'click and point' system might satisfy.

What developer program? Well, for writing the code, use notepad or some other standard text editor. For compiling it, use GCC. GCC must be set up as an arm-elf cross-compiler to be used for GP32. Also you must use one of the GP32-specific SDKs available. I have a complete working development environment for GP32 set up on my computer inside it's own directory, but I haven't really used it for anything yet. It uses Mr. Mirko's SDK. I used DevKit ARM combined with the make.exe from DevKit Advance combined with Mirko's SDK contents. Alternatively, you could use the same method but with Gamepark's official SDK, or you could use the ARM ADS (I beleive it was called that, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but I beleive you either have to buy it or request a trial period (I don't have any experience with the ADS, so I don't know that much about it). Or you could develop your games using Fenix, or ZOT, or Gigas, or any of the other GP32 programs that make programming easier with their own scripting langages rather than C. If you need any help setting up the dev environment ask me or any of the developers here and I'm sure you'll find help somewhere, we are a very helpful community, you know.

Thankyou! Some very handy stuff there -I'm going to have to have a plough. I'm a little rusty on C, but I'm also glad its based on a language I'm familiar with.

I know what you mean about the helpful community - I'm stunned so far with how so!

Many thanks again - I'm going to look at some of the GP32 game development programs you mentioned as well. I'm hoping it'll be possible to run them on my PC (the thought of making a game using a D-pad and two buttons fills me with terror).

Paul

I forgot about Grand Theftendo! How could I - I've been waiting for it for months now. I think its going to be great though.

Paul

and we won't be able to play it on GP <_<

GTN currently uses the Nintendo MMC5 mapper chip. However, to make the game is the best it can be, when it is complete, I plan on converting it to use a custom mapper. The main purpose of the new mapper will be to provide better CHR ROM bank switching for more graphical detail and animation.

GTN currently uses the Nintendo MMC5 mapper chip. However, to make the game is the best it can be, when it is complete, I plan on converting it to use a custom mapper. The main purpose of the new mapper will be to provide better CHR ROM bank switching for more graphical detail and animation.

and we won't be able to play it on GP

Why not? <_<

In the case that GTN is modified to use a custom mapper, I will write mapper plugins for a few of the main emulators and release the source code. With the code, anyone with the skill will be able to add the mapper support to the rest of the emulators.

Why not? <_<

In the case that GTN is modified to use a custom mapper, I will write mapper plugins for a few of the main emulators and release the source code. With the code, anyone with the skill will be able to add the mapper support to the rest of the emulators.

None of our developers will bother with it. We need to beg him to use a standard mapper!

Why not? <_<

None of our developers will bother with it. We need to beg him to use a standard mapper!

don't be daft

Why not? <_<

don't be daft

A side scroller!!! Or maybe do an F1 game from scratch...

The possibilites are endless. maybe a game like transport tycoon?

I'll happily help with graphics. - I'm a pixel artist in training and a dgree student in Multimedia in England

Back