Problems With Sd Cards

klikklak

Oh neat, it's a ... field.
Website
Visit site
Since I just lost my bahamut lagoon save to a broken fat, I have to ask. It's been bugging me for a long time. What factors are most crucial in having a reliable sd card? Is it the reader? Or is it the card manufacturer? My 16gb verbatim (and all, lower quality cards) suffers from file corruption after I've filled about 2/3's of it. I can only dream of using all of it before something breaks. For a card reader I'm using a chinese multireader, which is better than those LEDshoppe or other single card 'sticks'. The only cards I haven't had trouble with have been sandisk microsdhc's with a sandisk reader. So, how should I invest money to fix this once and for all? Or are sd cards always like this?

EDIT: Now it broke down completely. I HATE HATE HATE sd cards.

"My 16gb verbatim (and all, lower quality cards) suffers from file corruption after I've filled about 2/3's of it"

This blatantly sounds like the "fake flash media cards" scam that's going around on eBay, where as the cards claim to be one size but are really smaller and just dont write any data for anything over their real limit. Do a Google search for "fake flash card checker" or something similar, someone made a checker to find out the real sizes of these devices.

Enverex said:
"My 16gb verbatim (and all, lower quality cards) suffers from file corruption after I've filled about 2/3's of it"

This blatantly sounds like the "fake flash media cards" scam that's going around on eBay, where as the cards claim to be one size but are really smaller and just dont write any data for anything over their real limit. Do a Google search for "fake flash card checker" or something similar, someone made a checker to find out the real sizes of these devices.

Someone's actually doing that? that's brilliant!

bad for anyone that buys them, but brilliant otherwise.

I would only buy SD cards new, anyway, because there's only a certain number of read/write operations before they're no good anyway, so if someone's had a card a few years and used it a lot, it could be ready to die. =/

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends how full you keep it. The more space you leave free the longer the card will last.

Well the verbatim is from a reputable store here in helsinki, I doubt that it's forged. I think the PQI is from an another local store. I've had trouble with ebay cards before, so I buy them new. But I think I'll just switch to microsdhc's, since they can be used in other devices and the euro/gb ratio is about the same. I haven't had any trouble with sandisk microsdhc's.

Back