Problem With The Gpfrodo Emulator For The Gp32.

PINMAN61

Still Fresh
Hi guys.Been playing some good ole C64 games on my GP32,via the gpfrodo emulator.It's a fab little emulator,and fairly easy to use too.....being able to have a portable C64,is truely excellent.Anyway,originally,i started off using this emulator with around 35-40 games,and had no problems whatsoever.
But since i increased that figure to 591 games (53.9 MB in size),the emulator won't load any games.The emulator still starts up okay,but when you go to attach an image,the screen goes blank for quite a while,and then the GP just ends up restarting.Somebody on another forum,suggested that it may be a battery related problem,but i am 100% sure,that this isn't what's causing my grief.Anyone out there know what may be causing this trouble.....perhaps there is some kinda limit,either games total,or roms size limit ?.Strange thing is,i can't see any mention anywhere on the net,of any kinda limits,not even within the read me that comes with the actual emulator.Perhaps splitting up the roms into different folders,would overcome this problem ?.Anyone got any answers,regarding this ?.
I'd really appreciate some help reguarding this issue,since it has been a problem which i've had for quite some time,now.

I have heard of this issue before with other emulators on various systems and I think that maybe you just have too many games on your card. I am guessing that 512 might be the max for GP32 Frodo, so try removing about a hundred games.

WhizzBang posted on Oct 7 2006 at 11:40 PM said:
I have heard of this issue before with other emulators on various systems and I think that maybe you just have too many games on your card. I am guessing that 512 might be the max for GP32 Frodo, so try removing about a hundred games.

This isn't a complaint against the people who compile these emulators(even if it sounds like it),but no doubt those who have the required skills to create such things,obviously also know what limits there are,and you'd think that they'd add some kinda related info within the read me files,to prevent these sort of issues coming about.For the sake of a few extra lines,it would make a lot of sense to add the little bit of extra info,at least imo.
Anyway,thanks very much for your response,i'll certainly give your suggestion a try,and see what happens.Do you think that perhaps splitting up the roms into different folders,would overcome this problem,and overcome any limitations which there may be ?.Not too sure off hand,if this is even an option,as i can't remember if you can search for the location of the roms via the emulator,or if they have to be in a certain standard folder within the emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you really need ALL of those roms? Are you going to play all of them? Try this: go through the roms and delete the ones that sound like you are never going to want to play it.

JaqMs posted on Oct 8 2006 at 03:01 AM said:
Do you really need ALL of those roms? Are you going to play all of them? Try this: go through the roms and delete the ones that sound like you are never going to want to play it.

Oh yes, we need them all. Being the R0mZ emu whores that we are we want all of the R0mZ that we can fit on our cardZ ;)

JaqMs posted on Oct 8 2006 at 04:01 AM said:
Do you really need ALL of those roms?

Nope,i don't really have to have quite so many roms available,whilst traveling around,if i'm totally honest.But having said that,it would still be nice to have such a vast collection with me,if it's actually possible(i'm a greedy bugger :D ).

JaqMs posted on Oct 8 2006 at 04:01 AM said:
Are you going to play all of them?

I have done,via a PC emulator,and would do too with the GP32,if a way to do so,can be worked out ;) .

If anyone out there,has any answers to this threads first post,then please let me know :) .

"Do you think that perhaps splitting up the roms into different folders,would overcome this problem?"

Possibly. Never used the emulator of which you speak, but if it is able to browse between multiple folders, then this will solve your problem, yes. But if it is limited to a fixed ROM directory, then you're probably going to be stuck with this limit.

The chances are the code for rom listing was never tested with a large collection like that.... I'm sure it could be fixed by using a Linked List-style routine (lots of malloc'ing, though.) which will mean the file limit will be the as much as the RAM will allow, which is bound to be... More. Even if the source was public, I've never done any GP32 coding.... I'm just slinging out ideas into the open, just so the casual reader falls under the miss-interpritation that clone has some knowledge about something relevant....

clone posted on Oct 8 2006 at 11:37 PM said:
"Do you think that perhaps splitting up the roms into different folders,would overcome this problem?"

Possibly. Never used the emulator of which you speak, but if it is able to browse between multiple folders, then this will solve your problem, yes. But if it is limited to a fixed ROM directory, then you're probably going to be stuck with this limit.

I haven't had too much of an oppertunately to mess around with this emulator lately(just a few mins here and there),since i have been quite busy recently.This situation should change within the next couple of days or so,and i'll then sit down and see if multiple folders is an option.If not,then i guess that my only other choice,would be muliple Smart Media Cards,but that's not really what i want to end up doing to be honest,although it would obviously be better than nothing at all.It would be far neater(and easier),if i can somehow use them all off the one card.

clone posted on Oct 8 2006 at 11:37 PM said:
The chances are the code for rom listing was never tested with a large collection like that

I reckon that you've hit the nail on the head there.When you think of all the hours that must've gone into putting this emulator together,you'd have thought that the person / persons responsable for this great emulator,would've spent just that little bit longer,testing out something such as this.I probably sound really ungrateful for this emulator's release,and all the effort which has obviously gone into it,but believe me,this really isn't the case....it's just that it seems such a shame that it would've made a real nice improvement,to what is already an excellent emulator,had just that little bit longer,been spent on it.I'm no programer myself,but i bet it wouldn't have taken too long to correct this issue.

JaqMs posted on Oct 7 2006 at 11:01 PM said:
I definitely agree with you, stop being so uselessly greedy.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Oct 9 2006 at 02:53 PM said:
JaqMs posted on Oct 7 2006 at 11:01 PM said:
I definitely agree with you, stop being so uselessly greedy.

- Alex

Thanks so much for your intelligent one lined helpful feedback,i bet that it took you absolutely eons,to compile such an in depth well thought out reply like that.If you have no helpful constructive contribution to add to this thread,then please keep your immature comments to yourself,since they are obviously of no use at all,especially to those of us(like myself)who are complete newbies to the GP32 scene,and have to rely on places such as here,to obtain the help which we require.
For god's sake,i only enquired as to whether running more than 35 games on this particular emulator,is achievable or not,and i suspect that there are countless other members here too,who also run more than this amount of roms,through many of the GP32 emulators,which are available from this place.Just because i happened to mention a figure of 591 roms,doesn't mean to say that i was aiming to run such a huge quantity of roms through this particular emulator,i was merely trying to discover what is actually possible,nothing more.I only currently possess two small sized Smart Media Cards,and i only wanted to make maximum use of the limited space that i have,with the few emulators which i actually use.Is that a crime ?...obviously so.

Yes, this will work. I have the c64 blast collection on one smc, 50 c64 'disks' in each folder. Having hundreds of games in one folder would only mean it takes ages to scroll through them as well!

bomb_dog posted on Oct 10 2006 at 09:12 AM said:

Yes, this will work. I have the c64 blast collection on one smc, 50 c64 'disks' in each folder. Having hundreds of games in one folder would only mean it takes ages to scroll through them as well!

Thanks so much,for confirming that this idea will actually work,i really appreciate it.I do intend to aquire some extra Smart Media cards at some near future point,but for the moment,i've got to be content with the two small sized one's,which i have.....hence wanting to make full use of the little space which i've currently got.
Having to use more than one folder to achieve this,is actually quite a good thing in a way,since the games could then be split up into their different types.
Just out of curiosity,how many games did you in fact manage to fit on to the one card ?.Not looking for an exact figure,just a rough idea would be fine.Not that i intend to stick more on it than i'd ever use,obviously,merely interested in what is actually possible,nothing more.
Thanks once again for your assistance,no doubt that other members on here,will also find this info helpful too,since it doesn't seem to be common knowledge.

Hi there,

well, I have these games on my SMC - they are the 'blast collection', listed here. They're all compressed with a menu on each, but quite often the menu doesn't work with the GPfrodo loader.

You can load the menu for each disk, find the right key to press to load that game, reset frodo and load the right game.

There are hundreds of games in the blast collection, I'm not sure how many. It is worth printing out a list of all the games, sorted alphabetically (like this one) and keep it with your Gp32 for easy finding later on!

I think this lot is about 58mb, so plenty of room for other stuff as well. Using more folders you could probably jam even more games on from different sources... :)

bomb_dog posted on Oct 12 2006 at 01:41 AM said:
Hi there,

well, I have these games on my SMC - they are the 'blast collection', listed here. They're all compressed with a menu on each, but quite often the menu doesn't work with the GPfrodo loader.

You can load the menu for each disk, find the right key to press to load that game, reset frodo and load the right game.

There are hundreds of games in the blast collection, I'm not sure how many. It is worth printing out a list of all the games, sorted alphabetically (like this one) and keep it with your Gp32 for easy finding later on!

I think this lot is about 58mb, so plenty of room for other stuff as well. Using more folders you could probably jam even more games on from different sources... :)

Wow,that certainly is an impressive achievement.Thanks so much for giving me such an excellent in depth reply.I really couldn't have had a better response to my question,than the one which you have supplied me with.Thank you,i am very grateful :D .

Back