Problem with Setup on New Pandora - Can't Get to Start Now Button to Click It

ArchiMark

Digerati & Pretty Nice Guy
Just got new 1GHz Pandora today....

Turned it on and now at the 'Welcome screen'. There is a gray rectangle in middle of display. In it there is the 'Start now' button to click to start the setup procedure. However, I can't get to it with stylus, as display calibration is way off and can't reach the button....

Have tried clicking the return key on keyboard, but that button does not react to it.

Have tried using the nubs to navigate over to button, but they are not working properly yet, I assume they are not calibrated yet...the cursor 'x' does not move when moving nubs....

So, how can I click the 'Start now' button????

Thanks for any help!

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
If you right or left click on the top of the window with the right nub  and keep it pressed then you can move the window with the left nub.

the mouse is mapped to the nubs.

also move the nubs about for a while and they should auto calibrate.

Its a good idea to make your toolbar freely moveable too.Click on the toolbar and you will get some options. select freely moveable and you can move the toolbar out of the way of windows with the nubs as mouse.

If you right or left click on the top of the window with the right nub  and keep it pressed then you can move the window with the left nub.

the mouse is mapped to the nubs.

also move the nubs about for a while and they should auto calibrate.

Its a good idea to make your toolbar freely moveable too.Click on the toolbar and you will get some options. select freely moveable and you can move the toolbar out of the way of windows with the nubs as mouse.
THANKS for your help!

However, the Welcome screen does not seem to be like a regular window that you can move around....

I can get the cursor 'x' over to the Welcome screen area, but when I hold the stylus there and then move the left nub around nothing happens....

As for the toolbar...there is no toolbar yet, as I am at the start up Welcome screen that shows up when you first turn on the Pandora....ie, not at the desktop yet....

So, still stuck....  :(

I can't remember what this screen looks like as I haven't flashed my Pandora in ages but try pressing alt then tab to cycle the cursor to the button you need to press then use enter or one of the game buttons to select it.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Can you press "tab" (Fn + Space) to make the 'start' button selectable? (so 'return' will work). Are any letters in the in the 'start' button underlined? (if so, you could select it using Alt + that letter).

I can't remember what this screen looks like as I haven't flashed my Pandora in ages but try pressing alt then tab to cycle the cursor to the button you need to press then use enter or one of the game buttons to select it.

Sent from my GT-I9300
There's a gray rectangle that takes up most of the display on a blue background. In the gray rectangle there's text about doing set up procedure....at bottom of rectangle are two buttons. Lower left is the Shutdown button and to the right is the Start now button....

*** Please note that this gray rectangle looks like a graphic color background image with text on it, not a regular window that you can move around... ***

I tried alt tab and nothing happens....

Can you press "tab" (Fn + Space) to make the 'start' button selectable? (so 'return' will work). Are any letters in the in the 'start' button underlined? (if so, you could select it using Alt + that letter).
Tried tab too and nothing happens....and yes, it shows the return arrow key symbol...so, tried Alt + return key, but nothing happens....

Can't you use the nub as mouse? :eek:

Tried that as noted above....unfortunately, the 'x' cursor is stays stuck near the upper right edge of display when I use the nub.....the 'x' just flickers when moving the nub, but never moves away from edge of display......

:(

Might be a bit of grit in the bezel maybe.activating the touchscreen.

The bezel is the line of plastic directly below the horizontal of your screen.if there is grit in tgere pressing agaunst the touchscreen this could be the problem.check and carefully remove it with something thin

Might be a bit of grit in the bezel maybe.activating the touchscreen.

The bezel is the line of plastic directly below the horizontal of your screen.if there is grit in tgere pressing agaunst the touchscreen this could be the problem.check and carefully remove it with something thin

Hmmm....interesting thought.....Thanks!

I did notice some very tiny bit of 'grayish fuzz' in lower right corner of display when I pulled of the plastic covering the display before trying to use it....tried to remove it but maybe some left under the bezel....

After pulling off plastic covering, I installed a screen protector I got with the Pandora....and it is on the display now....don't see any grit or dust under the protector...

Is the bezel snapped in properly?

And check there's no dust or grain BELOW the bezel on the touchscreen.

Is the bezel snapped in properly?

And check there's no dust or grain BELOW the bezel on the touchscreen.
I think it is.....however, the edge of the bezel at the bottom of the display is bowed out from the display. In other words near the middle of that edge there is a noticeable gap between the bezel plastic and the display.

How do I check for dust, etc, below the bezel?.....

Thanks!

I think it is.....however, the edge of the bezel at the bottom of the display is bowed out from the display. In other words near the middle of that edge there is a noticeable gap between the bezel plastic and the display.
That gap is normal.

How do I check for dust, etc, below the bezel?.....
Just use your fingernail to move between screen and bezel and move all around the LCD.

Also try using the touchscreen at the same time.

If suddenly the behaviour of the touchscreen changes, you know you find the place where the problem comes from.

That gap is normal.

>How do I check for dust, etc, below the bezel?.....
Just use your fingernail to move between screen and bezel and move all around the LCD.

Also try using the touchscreen at the same time.

If suddenly the behaviour of the touchscreen changes, you know you find the place where the problem comes from.
Thanks, I have identified an area at the bottom of display at bezel that has an impact on cursor....if I press the bezel against the display about 1/4 of the length of the bezel, coming in from the lower right corner, then I am able to get cursor to over to the buttons!....at first the buttons would change color from gray to bluish as if they are highlighted, unfortunately, due to how I was holding Pandora, I couldn't get my finger onto the return key to press it....changed my hand position, but now there's no change in color on button when I get the cursor 'x' over the button....

Use the right nub to click like a regular mouse.moving the nub to the left is a mouse click.

Use the right nub to click like a regular mouse.moving the nub to the left is a mouse click.
Thanks, but when I do that, nothing happens....

As noted, something has changed....before, when I was able to get cursor 'x' over the buttons, they would react by turning a light blue color. Now, when I get the cursor over the buttons, there is no visible reaction, ie, no change in color....

Interesting thing now is that when I press on the lower bezel frame at bottom of display about 3/4 of the way to the left from lower right corner, the cursor 'x' will move from the upper right of display down onto where the Start now button is located! If only I could get button to react now, I'd be all set!

:blink:

GOOD NEWS!

Played around with cursor and keys again....finally got a reaction by using Fn + Tab keys, all of a sudden I saw the Shutdown button get outlined in black line...so, tapped tab again and then the Start now button got outlined in black line. Pressed the Enter key and Voila! I got the next screen! The one that asks you to enter your name...

Only weird thing now is that I have to hold the stylus on the display to get the data entry fields active so that I can enter typed characters in them....

Spoke too soon I think...now I'm on the screen that asks you to select your GUI....

Only think I can get screen to show reaction to is the headings in each of the two columns shown; Name and Description....

I need to find a way to be able to get screen to react to selecting one of the 3 GUI choices shown.....I can get cursor 'x' over the GUI names but it doesn't show any reaction (ie, highlighting, etc..) when I do this....

UPDATE

After repeatedly tapping on selection, it finally reacted and highlighted in blue....so, then clicked on OK....and got to next screen...whew!....

Got through all the preferences screens, now at the calibration screen, which I was hoping to finally do and get better control in using Pandora....

However, I was able to tap on the crosshair in upper left corner of display OK and now I see crosshair in upper right corner. But when I tap on this crosshair, there is no reaction...even tried pressing on lower bezel frame with other hand, but no reaction.....

Now what do I do?....stuck on this screen......

UPDATE

Decided to try shutting down Pandora and restarting....

Booted up to XFCE desktop!....

However, I tried doing touchscreen calibration again and now screen won't react to my tapping on the first crosshair in upper left of display....

Seems to me that something is wrong with this touchscreen or something else is screwy hardware-wise....just shouldn't be so difficult to setup....

UPDATE 2

Discovered that one problem with display is that the bezel tab on outer right edge of bezel was not completely into the slot in outer casing.

So, got through entire calibration process finally. Touchscreen seemed to work properly for a bit, but now getting new odd screen behavior....if I touch display with stylus, let's say in lower right corner area, I see the arrow cursor appear in the upper right corner of display and above it to the diagonal upper right I see the outline of a ghosted rectangle...if I move cursor it will enlarge or shrink the rectangle accordingly......

If I press on lower edge of bezel frame about 3/4 of way over from the lower right corner of display, and then tap, I get cursor in right location and reacting properly.....

YIPES!!!!

So all clips of the bezel are now snapped in?

I hope there is nothing under it that causes this behaviour.

In this case you might have to get the displaypart apart. But if you are not sure what you are doing, you might want to send the unit for repair :(

So check all the clips again.

My uneducated guess is that part of the screen bezel is pressing the touchscreen constantly => either the bezel or the touchscreen isn't seated right. If it is the bezel, afaik it can be "persuaded" into the right place.

Edit: look here - maybe that helps to get things in order

Back