Problem After Flash

Hawkez

Still Fresh
Hello.

I have had my GP32 for years (it is the first one with no light of any kind.) I have not used it since I lost the cable. I recently found it and started using it again. I flashed my GP32 to the European BIOS (or whatever you call it.) I can load my old programs off the SMC with the built in launcher etc. But if I load up GP manager and then on the GP32 choose PC-Link, I get the error "SMC error." please insert SMC. Press B to cancel or SELECT to recover SMC. If I choose SELECT it goes to another screen <SMC recovery system> starting to check SMC. Press A to start Press B to cancel. If I do nothing it just stays there. B cancels. Pressing A then brings up (0) errors corrected SMC recovery completed. Please reset again. Ok, so I power off and back on and the same thing. PC-Link does the same. PLAY takes me to my launcher where I can run emus and filemanagers etc.

Yes I have new batteries in, Yes it worked before I flashed it to the EURO version. I have only seen any mention of this on French or Spanish sites, and even translated they seem to make no sense. Only thing I can make i\out is something about pressing the R button while doing something.

Had I installed the file to make the GP32 act as another drive on the Windows XP explorer or if I had a card reader I am sure I would be fine. Anyone have any idea what to do? The card is not bad, I can run things off it fine.

Thanks in advance

Have you tried hooking up the usb cord first then starting the gp and putting it into pc-link then starting GPManager?

Maybe also check out Firefly's site and see if his usb drivers help any

Just a thought - I use PCLink 1.01
perhaps your PClink is V1.00, perhaps a new PCLink would help?

Note this is just a wild guess

I know what the problem is, it's that the euro firmware is very touchy. Insert the cable, turnn your gp on, then open gpmanager. If it doesnt work, close gp manager, turn the gp off, take the cable out and repeat the first process. It usually works for me the second time, if not keep trying.

(this is assuming youve downloaded the correct drivers for your os)

If you get a card reader, put slubmans Firmware with Phodrive, on your SMC and flash your bios to that.

Slubman works every time and windows see's GP32 as an extra drive -

Just remember to start the pclink option before putting the cable in and press select before shutting down / or disconnecting

I use Slubmans Blu+ myself and would not go back

Hooka posted on Jul 10 2005 at 04:05 AM said:
Have you tried hooking up the usb cord first then starting the gp and putting it into pc-link then starting GPManager?

Maybe also check out Firefly's site and see if his usb drivers help any

Yeah, it says the same thing no matter when I turn on GP32 Manager, before or after. The only time it says anything different is if I goto PC LINK mode with the USB cable out. Then it says USB error. Check GP32manager application.

I got the USB drivers from Firefly's site. There are NO instructions. I found no way to uninstall the current drivers and right clicking the INF file included and choosing install never really tells you if it did anything. The drivers I had and the software etc. all worked before flashing to Euro version. I even uninstalled gp32manager and got one from the euro site and installed that one. I also got pclink 1.3 and it does the same thing. With the cable in and gp32 manager running or not I get the SMC error. I did retry many many times in a row in the orders mentioned by all the above posts.

I really want to just get it working so I can install Phodrive or whatever makes the GP32 look like another pc drive to Windows XP.

Last edited by a moderator:
not being funny but my gp32 seems to destroy smc cards if your not carefull, a way to check if this has happened for diffinate

Turn on your GP32, at the option screen (Play or PC link )

Press L shoulder button, R Shoulder button x 2, L shoulder button, R Shoulder x 2,
L Shoulder button x2. This will bring up GP32 test mode, in this mode you will be able to test your buttons, screen test, sound test and of course smc test

If you have no used or available memory, its likely the smc is naff

At this point you will probably sigh, but chin up I will tell you how to get a free smc
(works every time for me). Go into a shop and buy a smc, there will probably be a sticker with the company name on it, remove the sticker VERY carefully, now place the sticker on your broken smc and return the card to the shop with receipt.
Congrationlations you have pulled one over on the larger companies.

Score
Larger Companies 0 :eek: :( :angry:
You 1 :) :D :lol: ;)

Tarka posted on Jul 10 2005 at 09:33 AM said:
If you get a card reader, put slubmans Firmware with Phodrive, on your SMC and flash your bios to that.

Slubman works every time and windows see's GP32 as an extra drive -

Just remember to start the pclink option before putting the cable in and press select before shutting down / or disconnecting

I use Slubmans Blu+ myself and would not go back
Seconded.
Everybody should do this...

royston79 posted on Jul 10 2005 at 12:56 PM said:
not being funny but my gp32 seems to destroy smc cards if your not carefull, a way to check if this has happened for diffinate

Turn on your GP32, at the option screen (Play or PC link )

Press L shoulder button, R Shoulder button x 2, L shoulder button, R Shoulder x 2,
L Shoulder button x2. This will bring up GP32 test mode, in this mode you will be able to test your buttons, screen test, sound test and of course smc test

If you have no used or available memory, its likely the smc is naff

Thanks for the info. I tried this. The card seems to be fine. BTW: it is no where near full. I have the extra programs (MP3, Text viewer etc. That Gp32Manager installs) 2 Emulators, 5 or 6 ROMS and 1 MP3, lots of space left. I am just getting back into the GP32 scene. Also, it still works. The programs load fine off of it. it is just PC-Linkmode.

i used to have the exact same problem on the aquafish firmware and the way i get around it is by holding down the right-shoulder button while switching the gp32 on. this brings up a different menu with four options. i select "link mode" from there and that works for me.

Back