Prince of Persia source code released

Prince of Persia was ported to aproximately 7.184 bajillion home computer and console systems back in the day, a large portion of which are already emulated on the Pandora. There's really no need for a source-port.

I am excited about this too. It is better to do it homebrew. And I think you can cross compile it for ARM.It will take some work but it is possible.And having the code it is possible to add some extra levels :) .

I don't have my pandora yet, but I like the sound of this :D .

Hi,

Is there any 6502 ASM --> ARM ASM converter available ?

I don't think "inlining" 6502 ASM into C would work out of the box...

Bye, Magic Sam

there's prolly a 6502 emulator that offer perfect emulation for something so old...

There's no benefit in the "now we can get a native port" aspect of this: as mentioned, it was ported to a bajillion different platforms, all of which the Pandora emulates anyway, including the original machine it was written for (I think, maybe. If not I'm sure there's an emulator for it in one of the machine the Pandora can emulate.)

The benefit here is a slice of history: it's the digital equivalent of the Mona Lisa or something; people have painted portraits since, and we have technology that can arguably render a persons image to print far better, but it's still a stunning piece which people have spent ages studying and reproducing. I can only hope that, 100 years from now, it shows up in a history of computing class as an example of the depth of knowledge and skill someone had to have at the time to do what I'm sure the students of the future will have no trouble imitating with their digital camera analogue.

I do wish a pure C equivalent, I don't know this assembler and I'm not even sure i'll have the patience to check the source if they were in C...

ps. I mean a direct translation, not a clean port with lots of refactoring...

There's no benefit in the "now we can get a native port" aspect of this:

Sure there is.

1. With a native port it can be a stand alone PND file in the PNDstore/repository.

2. Those of us who don't run to nefarious sites to download ROMs could actually play it.

3. Those of us who don't own consoles to claim ownership of a system ROM for and want to be legitimate can actually play it too.

We're not all wearing eye patches here - and we don't all get into the console emulation (for various reasons). Frankly I'd love to play it - 100% legally without having to buy a console and off-load it's system ROM and ... etc.

Yeah one can't simply translate and compile this and distribute it - as the readme says, PoP still belongs to Ubisoft. I'm not sure that with some effort a KingofKongo or something could released though... with replaced game data files of course.

Sure there is.

1. With a native port it can be a stand alone PND file in the PNDstore/repository.
Easily done with the DOS version as well. I've no idea if the Apple II emulator we have can load things directly though, so you could be technically correct.

2. Those of us who don't run to nefarious sites to download ROMs could actually play it.
On the one hand it appears you're correct: I can't find the original Apple II version for purchase anywhere on the internet. Lots of DOS versions though, which is pretty close.

On the other hand, it's a moot point anyway because the license seems to indicate a distribution isn't allowed anyway.

3. Those of us who don't own consoles to claim ownership of a system ROM for and want to be legitimate can actually play it too.
I don't think the Apple II emulator needs a system ROM, does it? It seems to start just fine and do stuff but I never owned an Apple nor do I have any Apple games with which to try.

So to re-iterate, it appears you are technically correct, getting the original Apple II version to run on the Pandora would probably be quite difficult to do entirely on the up and up, but as said, it was ported to several platforms, notably the PC version can still be purchased via ebay for about $5 if you are so inclined, and PNDing it up with DosBox is as easy as loading up thatgui's DoxBox PNDifier. I still stand by my statement that a native port is not of any real benefit; it doesn't really add anything that can't already be obtained.

I don't get it? If the source code is free...the game is not free? :blink:

exactly....

like quake1, quake2, quake3 just to name a few...

hum, trough the "licence" on the source seems to be much worst...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get it? If the source code is free...the game is not free? :blink:
The license seems to say that you are free to download the source code in order to take a look at it, maybe build it yourself, but you aren't allowed to redistribute that source code nor are you allowed to use it to derive another "Prince of Persia" game, since Ubisoft actually owns the rights to Prince of Persia. There's some questionably legal arguments you could make about someone taking this source, translating it to C, and then changing the name, but I wouldn't want to touch any such compile with a ten foot pole, just to be safe.

We should make a Prince of Persia clone called Princess of Pandora where you have two months (in game\sped up) to get your pandora fom the evil overloads evildragon and craig.

Back