Prboom

zaephen

Let me start by saying that I'm NO WAY attacking or saying anything derogatory about anyone responsible for PrBoom/DOOM. I'm extremely thankful to the fine folks who have contributed their time and energy to porting PrBoom to the Wiz. They have done infinitely more for the community than I have at this point ;).

My question is: why doesn't it run smoother? Maybe I'm way off base here but I would think that the Wiz should be able to run DOOM at full speed smoothly. I could understand if the resolution was bumped way up but at 320x240 standard DOOM should run perfect on the Wiz, shouldn't it? It's been a very long time but I know I ran it fine on a 66MHz 486 and higher. The 533MHz - 800MHz Wiz should laugh at it... or at least I would think so.

I'm not saying it runs "bad" or anything. It jerks a little here and there. I just thought it would run very smoothly.

Is there anything that can be done to smooth it out or can anyone explain why this game wouldn't run perfectly on the Wiz?

Zaephen said:
Let me start by saying that I'm NO WAY attacking or saying anything derogatory about anyone responsible for PrBoom/DOOM. I'm extremely thankful to the fine folks who have contributed their time and energy to porting PrBoom to the Wiz. They have done infinitely more for the community than I have at this point ;) .

My question is: why doesn't it run smoother? Maybe I'm way off base here but I would think that the Wiz should be able to run DOOM at full speed smoothly. I could understand if the resolution was bumped way up but at 320x240 standard DOOM should run perfect on the Wiz, shouldn't it? It's been a very long time but I know I ran it fine on a 66MHz 486 and higher. The 533MHz - 800MHz Wiz should laugh at it... or at least I would think so.

I'm not saying it runs "bad" or anything. It jerks a little here and there. I just thought it would run very smoothly.

Is there anything that can be done to smooth it out or can anyone explain why this game wouldn't run perfectly on the Wiz?

Interesting, because it runs smooth for me. Normal Doom and Doom 2 don't have any issues on my end. For some of the conversions I have to overclock the Wiz to 600MHz or 700MHz for it to run smooth, but it does run smooth. I'm not noticing any jerkiness, but maybe I'm not as picky about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
fett42 said:
maybe I'm not as picky about it
I don't doubt that I am being overly picky :(.
I'll continue to play around with it and see if I can make it run better. It's easily playable and runs great actually. There's just occasional "jerking" that I don't think should be there.

Go to Options>General.
Set Video mode to OpenGL, then flip to the last page and set every filter to point. Restart.
PrBoom gets laggy if it's set to round for some reason.
To make it look filtered set the video mode to 16bit and change the filters to linear. It will introduce some slowdown, but looks pretty :)

Mr.TwisT said:
Go to Options>General.
Set Video mode to OpenGL, then flip to the last page and set every filter to point. Restart.
To make it look filtered set the video mode to 16bit and change the filters to linear. It will introduce some slowdown, but looks pretty :)
Thanks a bunch Twist! That is exactly what I was looking for ;) . Well, I still say the Wiz should be able to do it software rendered but PrBoom is an "advanced" DOOM port so maybe that's the difference. It sure looks nice now though in OpenGL ;) .

Zaephen said:
Mr.TwisT said:
Go to Options>General.
Thanks a bunch Twist! That is exactly what I was looking for ;) . Well, I still say the Wiz should be able to do it software rendered but PrBoom is an "advanced" DOOM port so maybe that's the difference. It sure looks nice now though in OpenGL ;) .

Setting video mode to opengl does nothing. But all the other settings will effect performance.

For some reason it actually runs abit smoother in OpenGl mode with filters set to point, than in 16bit (or other). Yeah, OpenGl mode does not introduce any proper filtering, but suspect it renders it a bit differently, thus the speed boost.

Oh yeah, I forgot about mentioning the change to OpenGL. I do have my prboom set to OpenGL. It seemed like switching to OpenGL improved performance a little when I first made the change. Maybe I imagined it though.

fett42 said:
Oh yeah, I forgot about mentioning the change to OpenGL. I do have my prboom set to OpenGL. It seemed like switching to OpenGL improved performance a little when I first made the change. Maybe I imagined it though.

Seeing as Pickle says it won't and he did the port I would say that it is extremely likely that you are imagining it.

Peter R said:
fett42 said:

Seeing as Pickle says it won't and he did the port I would say that it is extremely likely that you are imagining it.

Im pretty sure I have a specific line to the configure to not include opengl (i wont work as wiz only supports ES not full opengl)
My guess is that selecting that could be causing prboom to use default software options.
Things I would look into to get faster performance: bpp (prboom should support 8 and 16 on the wiz) and filtering( i think point is the normal option)

Back