Praise For Gp2x Mame...

T

TelcoLou

So, we went to Hershey Park the other day .. it was a nice trip .. had a lot of fun, despite the weather being oppressively hot & humid. In fact, it got so bad at one point, we made a mad dash into the factory tour, just to get some relief from the heat. Very cute, including the 3D show (it reminded me of the attractions at Disney World, only shorter).

Upon our exit, we saw the weather outside had turned ugly; violent rain, wind and lightning. Being on vacation, and of the "meh, fuck it" mindset, we decided to dart outside to wait out the storm under the shuttle bus waiting area. After 10 or 15 minutes of a non-stop downpour, we gave in to Mother Nature's fury and braved the wetness .. walking around in the COLD-ass rain was exhilarating! Since nearly everything was now closed due to the weather, we got kinda bummed out and were ready to pack it in when it happened; what we discovered next was like finding the holy grail of geek-ness; an arcade .. FULL of classic games;

1942, Millipede, 720°, Discs of Tron, Marble Madness, Ms Pac Man, Karate Champ, and several others, along with a wall of pinball machines, skill games, crane games ... it was like re-living my mis-spent youth!!

But now the downside; 1942 was in bad shape .. the control deck was loose, the joystick had dead spots, and the monitor connection was shorting out, causing the display to goof up the colors every time I moved to the left .. I only managed a high score of ~65,000. Millipede had a sagging monitor bevel, obscuring the score ... 720°'s joystick was a sloppy mess, Space Attack's flight yoke was unresponsive.

All in all, it was nice to see the actual cabinets in person again, but the experience fell short of fun (though we had a blast playing skeeball)

I can now say, with 100% certanty, that GP2X MAME is far better than the real thing. Thank you, once again, Franxis, Slaanesh and Notaz for all your hard work on this wonderful emulator.

</ :D >

While MAME is great, I still personally prefer a real machine :). Then again, I don't have to put up with somebody else's poorly maintained ones :D.

In Australia, the real machines are very quickly disappearing. There's only a few places left which have any pre-2000 machines at all! Apart from console compilations, MAME is the only way to play these classic games!

Just this very morning I was playing 1942 and 1943. I love those games!

If there was one arcade machine that I'd like to have, it would be a 1943 machine I think. Such a classic game with it's power-ups, end of level bosses and classic vertical shooter game play.

EDIT: If anyone in Australia is wanting to sell a 1943 (Jap or US) machine, please let me know!

Well, I was looking into a full-sized cabinet, but household finances took precedent. ;)

I do have a contact here at my job; his family runs a small arcade, so I may be able to get a salvaged (empty, no monitor or guts) old cabinet for free or next to nothing, than slap a 2-player slikstick control deck on there ... but again, other projects have taken priority.

sensible GP32 said:
american chocolate does smell like vomit though.
... or maybe your vomit smells like American chocolate ... :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lurkio said:
Arcade
GP2X
I know which i'd rather carry around. :D

Heh, there's always that old video of a gp2x vs. an arcade cabinet to help you make up your mind! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MmolhMSgyg

I was recently able to buy a slikstik cabinet with quad controls plus a trackball, spinner, and a 4-way dedicated joystick w/ a 27" monitor for about US$1800.

Fat Agnus said:
Lurkio said:
Arcade
GP2X
I know which i'd rather carry around. :D

Heh, there's always that old video of a gp2x vs. an arcade cabinet to help you make up your mind! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MmolhMSgyg

I was recently able to buy a slikstik cabinet with quad controls plus a trackball, spinner, and a 4-way dedicated joystick w/ a 27" monitor for about US$1800.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
OMFG, Pics, PLEASE!!!

bagmouse7 said:
If you don't want build a cabinet you can always add some real arcade controls to your PC.
I have one of these SlikStik Solitaire units and it is great!
http://www.slikstik.com/webstore/webstore.asp?categoryID=2

Very nice! (said with Borat accent)

I've recently purchased an older quad player cabinet from slik stik also. check it out in action. it's using MALA for the front end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2DU9S1lX9A

Hey, Go to FunSpot in New Hampshire, they got hundreds of classic arcade games in excellent condition.
best place in america. world records are officially beaten there.
heres the website link:
http://www.funspotnh.com/
And oh, if you see Billy Mitchell there, kick his ass!
on that note watch the newly released, awesome documentary,
The King of Kong: a fistful of quarters.
Nostalgic and entertaining.

Back