Power Adapter Diy

Redsandro

Still Fresh
Website
www.rednet.nl
Hi,

I want to make my own AC adapter and/or car power supply. There's some nice documentation in the wiki, and I can handle the technical part just fine. However, I cannot find any type number or size number/specification for the plug/connector. Can anyone supply this info? There are so many connectors, I cannot guess-and-order.

Redsandro said:
Hi,

I want to make my own AC adapter and/or car power supply. There's some nice documentation in the wiki, and I can handle the technical part just fine. However, I cannot find any type number or size number/specification for the plug/connector. Can anyone supply this info? There are so many connectors, I cannot guess-and-order.
The wiki has some helpful information:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Power_adapter

Last edited by a moderator:
I just used a gameboy color power adaptor with the polarity switched. I must have gotten lucky with one that supplys over 1amp. Hooray!

btw, I found an adapter that does 3,0 or 4,2 volts at 2500 mA.
I read in different topics about 3,6 or 3,7 volts.. so any thoughts on 3,0 volts for the gp2x?

Redsandro said:
I read in different topics about 3,6 or 3,7 volts.. so any thoughts on 3,0 volts for the gp2x?
is fine if regulated and high enough amperage (2.5A is ok).

This term 'regulated' comes up a lot (on search) and my brain has a bug where I don't understand what it means when speaking of power adapters. Not even using a dictionary.

I am GUESSING that it is similar to direct current (DC as opposed to AC), so would I be fired if I made this guess working as a salesman?

This 3V 2.5A adapter is a 'digital' adapter meant for digital camera's and video camera's. Would cost me 20 euro's. (How do I get the AltGr+5 (eurosign) working in Ubuntu?) Since that's more than free, I'd hate to see the gp2x rebooting all the time ;)\

I saw it for 12 euros on ebay but with 8 euros shipment, I might as well piss in my own toilet if you know what I mean.

An unregulated 3V adaptor can output 9V, which is bad for your GP2X. The voltage typically comes down with load.

A regulated adaptor will attempt to keep the voltage around the 3V range more accurately.

The link is 'temporarily closed', but from the sounds of it, it's sort of similar to the one I found.

I was thinking of maybe splitting the end to provide additional power for an USB hub. I know 3v is not enough in theory, but I read about this guy building a hack in his F100 to get powered USB off of the batteries. If that works, doing the same with an adapter should also work I think.

I got the one I was talking about. Maybe it's the same as you. But my problem is that the tips aren't reversable. I thought this would be possible (changing ground-sleeved to ground-centered) but it will only fit one way.

What would be a clean way to fix this? I would prefer a way that is reversable in case I need to power something ground-sleeved. I thought about these electrical wireconnectors (with two screws) you find around the house and just chop the cable. I think while chopping the cable is unavoidable, the wireconnectors are kind of blunt.

15 years ago I played with Märklin electric minirailway trains or whatever you call them. I remember those miniplugs, very handy for wiring all lighting and rails and stuff. So I bought a couple of those. Apparently Märklin has new ones I don't like, so I bought the old-fasion ones. I put 'em in between somewhere in the cable to be able to swap 'em. Works perfectly!

maerklin_plug_old.jpg

But now that it works, I have to say:

What idiot moron over at GPH decided to put DC input on the side of the device!?
Sometimes I wonder if those people use their device themselves. I think not, otherwise they would have fixed this, put in a powerled that doesn't blind your eyes, put in a normal stylus, use normal touch calibration and have a firmware menu that isn't sucky to begin with.

Back