possible to connect full size keyboard?

Sure !

Just use an USB hub as mouse and keyboards are not USB 2.0 HighSpeed devices(i think they are 1.0)...and will not be correctly handled by the port.

:ph34r:   by slaeshjag

Last edited by a moderator:
There is also the possibility to connect 1.1 devices directly with an otg adapter mini a male -> a female to the miniusbport.

I have an OTG adapter both for my SGS3 and my Pandora. Works like a charm

You might consider bluetooth as well. It takes a bit of looking, but there are some bluetooth keyboards out there. Just be aware of the possibility of the keystrokes being logged and don't use it in public.

I never had success with my OTG adapter on the miniusb port (lenovo trackpoint keyboard) but both keyboard and trackpoint worked fine over the hub on full-size usb port.

You might consider bluetooth as well. It takes a bit of looking, but there are some bluetooth keyboards out there. Just be aware of the possibility of the keystrokes being logged and don't use it in public.
Bluetooth has issues when operating concurrently with the built-in WiFi.  Depending on channel and data rate it can fail entirely.  USB is much, much more reliable.

Bluetooth has issues when operating concurrently with the built-in WiFi.  Depending on channel and data rate it can fail entirely.  USB is much, much more reliable.
That's a good point. I've never had trouble with that, but now that I think about it, I'm not usually using it on a handheld unit the size of a Pandora either. It's a shame because a unit of this size is susceptible to flying across the room if you trip on the cord.

Why you can't connect a 1.0 device to an 2.0 USB port? I do all the time in my computer and laptop.

Why you can't connect a 1.0 device to an 2.0 USB port? I do all the time in my computer and laptop.
Because your computer has a hub built-in.

We didn't have space for that on the Pandora PCB. That's why you need to use an external hub.

Because your computer has a hub built-in.

We didn't have space for that on the Pandora PCB. That's why you need to use an external hub.

USB High Speed hubs are required by the spec to tranlate full and low speed transactions into high speed transactions. The designers of the processor made the assumption that the processor would always be hard wired to a hub, and therefor implementing the full speed and low speed capability was a waste of resources because they would never be used.

Pandora did not have room for a hub, so we ended up with a USB port that violates the spec since it does not support full speed and low speed devices (and worse, locks up when they are connected).

A hub, or an OTG cable. (OTG is better, imo)
The OTG port can only supply 100 mA. The ports of an unpowerd hub can only supply 100 mA. So one must be careful what one connects to each port. If one has a USB low or full speed device that requires more than 100 mA, one must use a powered hub.

This will cause support questions as long as the Pandora is in production.

Back