Possible To Boot Another Os Off Of The Sd Card?

DanM

Still Fresh
Is it possible to make the pandora boot another linux dist off of the sd card? I was thinking, maybe I could put backtrack 3 on the sd card to boot off of it. Or can the pandora not choose a boot device or will backtrack 3 not work with pandora?

Yes, I'm pretty sure the default bootloader will have options for SD booting.
This is the "unbrickable" feature: You can always re-install the OS from an SD card, as long as the BIOS boot stuff isn't corrupted.

However, you'll need an ARM version of any OS you want to boot, and the proper drivers.
I don't know if ARM Backtrack exists, you'll have to ask around.

Yes, you can boot alternate OSes from SD.

(For dev, we pretty much avoid sticking gunk in flash since we might be buggering it up as we hack around etc.. so pretty much all of us are booting off SD right now. I actually keep a couple of SDs set up with various versions, but you can boot multiple OS images from a single SD etc.)

Its not fancy, but it works :p

jeff

Is it possible to make the pandora boot another linux dist off of the sd card? I was thinking, maybe I could put backtrack 3 on the sd card to boot off of it. Or can the pandora not choose a boot device or will backtrack 3 not work with pandora?
afaik there is no arm version of backtrack, nor of slax (the distribution backtrack is based on), and the arm port of slackware (the distribution slax is based on) isn't one of the best arm distros for "advanced" devices, since it's still targeting the old ABI.

There is nothing to prevent you from installing the same packages on another linux distro and booting it from an SD card; I would recommend using debian as a good compromise between ease and configurability, but ubuntu will do on the easy side (and will probably be already available for pandora as an SD image download) and you can go the openembedded/Angstrom road for configurability.

Last edited by a moderator:
afaik there is no arm version of backtrack, nor of slax (the distribution backtrack is based on), and the arm port of slackware (the distribution slax is based on) isn't one of the best arm distros for "advanced" devices, since it's still targeting the old ABI.

There is nothing to prevent you from installing the same packages on another linux distro and booting it from an SD card; I would recommend using debian as a good compromise between ease and configurability, but ubuntu will do on the easy side (and will probably be already available for pandora as an SD image download"] and you can go the openembedded/Angstrom road for configurability.[/quote]Cool, thanks for help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back