Release [Port] Slingshot

clop

Hi,

Please test this:

Slingshot is a two dimensional, turn based simulation-strategy game set in the gravity fields of several planets. It is a highly addictive game, and never the same from round to round due to its randomly generated playing fields.

http://slingshot.wik....org/Front_Page

Modifications:

• Make game resolution scalable
  • Add Pandora controls (Start button and X button)
  • Tweak settings / code fixes to get perfs
  • Minor fixes

Comments, remarks, insults, kisses are (as always) welcome!

Updated! Second version includes:

• Bounce fixed
  • Pressing "Fire" with missile in flight destroys it

Updated! Third version includes:

• Sound effects!
  • Pressing "Select" will clear missile trails.
  • All modification are in config file (appdata/slingshot/.slingshot/settings).

Released!

Please test PND from repo, notes & comments are welcome!

DISCLAIMER: Remove appdata/slingshot folder before testing!

Clop'

slingshot-ingame2.png

slingshot.pnd

Attachments

• slingshot.pnd
    3.3 MB · Views: 224
Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! Looks like we have a pygame porter!

Thanks a lot and keep it up!

No audio here. No sound options.

Great game still. d-pad works well as does fire button.

thanx

No audio here. No sound options.

Great game still. d-pad works well as does fire button.

thanx

Actually, there no sounds in the original game :)

But, if you can point me to the some nice explosions and firing sounds, I can try to add that.

Thanks for feedback!

This is a really nice game, thanks for the port!

I also found a bug (I think): When "bounce" is selected in options the shots only bounce from the left, top and right but not from the bottom.

Also do you think it would be possible to add a feature? It would be great if the shot timeout could be set to zero on the press of a button so if a shot leaves the inner area and flys around on the outside it could be canceled (e.g. by pressing fire again) instead of having to wait long seconds when you are sure you won't hit anything.

:)

This is a really nice game, thanks for the port!

I also found a bug (I think): When "bounce" is selected in options the shots only bounce from the left, top and right but not from the bottom.

Also do you think it would be possible to add a feature? It would be great if the shot timeout could be set to zero on the press of a button so if a shot leaves the inner area and flys around on the outside it could be canceled (e.g. by pressing fire again) instead of having to wait long seconds when you are sure you won't hit anything.

:)

I'll check the bounce, it's probably a bug in my modifications for resolution scaling.

About the "Cancel shot" option, i'll look into it. I'm thinking about a complete "Destroy missile" button, allowing player to destroy his shot anytime, what do you think?

Yeah that sounds like a good idea! Thanks for looking into it. :)

While we're at it, how about the possibilty to clear the screen from the drawn shot lines? Or to clear every line but the last shot (per player). The screen tends to get full after some time (at least with my low low skill ^^).

Do you plan on releasing your changed code? It would be fun to look into it (although my python isn't the best...), maybe try to expand the game a bit with a simple AI or different kinds of shots, like a MIRV or anti-gravity shots which get repelled instead of pulled by the planets etc., kinda like Scorched Earth in space. :)

Yeah that sounds like a good idea! Thanks for looking into it. :)

While we're at it, how about the possibilty to clear the screen from the drawn shot lines? Or to clear every line but the last shot (per player). The screen tends to get full after some time (at least with my low low skill ^^).

Do you plan on releasing your changed code? It would be fun to look into it (although my python isn't the best...), maybe try to expand the game a bit with a simple AI or different kinds of shots, like a MIRV or anti-gravity shots which get repelled instead of pulled by the planets etc., kinda like Scorched Earth in space. :)

About lines: When I look into previous issues, i'll take a look at that too.

About code: original code is available and I plan to try to push my modifications upstream. I'll update you about that.

Thanks for feedback

Ok,

PND updated (see first ost for PND)

Updated! Second version includes:

• Bounce fixed
  • Pressing "Fire" with missile in flight destroys it

Please test.

Still in my Todo list for slinsgshot: Fix backgrounds, try to get a working "clear screen" (implementation confuses me for the moment), add sounds (if i can get it right).

Niiice, loved this game (or one very similar), but could never remember what it was called. Cheers

New update!

Added sound effects (can be disabled in System menu) and clear screen feature (Select key).

See first post for download.

I also put all modifications in configuration to make upstream merge easier (I sent a mail see what happens), so delete "appdata/slingshot" .

As always, thanks for your tests & feedback,

Clop'

I didn't get to try the new version until now and I have to say it is superb! The sound effects are fun and the option to destroy the missile at any time is really great! Thanks a lot for this! :)

Also maybe there is abug, I'm not sure, but once I hit the timeout but the missile kept on flying until it hit a planet a few seconds later even though the countdown was zero. Not a problem really, just strange.

I didn't get to try the new version until now and I have to say it is superb! The sound effects are fun and the option to destroy the missile at any time is really great! Thanks a lot for this! :)

Also maybe there is abug, I'm not sure, but once I hit the timeout but the missile kept on flying until it hit a planet a few seconds later even though the countdown was zero. Not a problem really, just strange.

Thanks for testing!

I'll try to investigate the timeout bug, i have to do an update anyway for licenses.

Do you think it's ready for repo?

FYI, no response from upstream, if i get motivation enougth, i'll try to make it AI friendly put it on a public source version control somewhere.

Well I think it's ready for the repo as it's really playable and working great. Although if you want to polish it a bit, maybe you could change the title screen where it says "press fire to play or esc to enter the menu" to "press fire (X) to play or Start to enter the menu" so people would know the button mapping right away. :)

Back