PokerTH - is a port possible?

may88

Before I make an official port request I'll probably make a fool of myself by exposing my ignorance for these things.

N900 is a similar spec to the Pandora, arm CPU and a 800x480 screen. A branch for the smaller screen size is mentioned on pokerth's web site.

PokerTH 0.8.2 for Maemo on 2011-02-01

pokerth_maemo.png

After long time we provide finally an update for the outdatet version of PokerTH on Maemo-OS. The GUI was fitted (not in every case optimal) to the proportion of a N900-display and is again more related to the basic desktop-variant. The aim is to develop these two branches side-by-side. The 0.8.2 is compatible with the ranking-server to ensure that you can now play ranking-games under your registered account and earn points.

You can download this Version from the Maemo Extra-Devel Repository. You only have to activate it in your application manager. (For more information look here under the headline '1.4 How to activate Extras-devel')

The current version 0.8.3 is not yet available for Maemo-OS. We are working on it.

Have a lot of fun!

Your PokerTH development team

Now I'm complete ignorant about how well Maemo software would port to the Pandora. My question for now to those that know better, is likely to be a simple task?

I'll take a look this afternoon/evening.

I've looked at that game, too, as it's a nice little poker game. The original sourcecode requires some wacky qt4 make thing that's like a 150MB download, so I promptly said 'the hell?' and walked away from the source.

But if Maemo already has a port, it may be quite simple to take the binaries and roll with them. I did it with supertux 0.3.3 from Maemo before, so it's theoretically possible.

Hmm, initial look says, no luck at the moment. It has a heck of a lot of dependencies, and I'm pulling them in and linking them, but I eventually get to the point where it says 'blaaaaaah, you suck' and doesn't want to go anymore.

Grabbing the Maemo sources may not be the best bet after looking a bit, but there's nothing stopping me from building it from scratch, so that'll my next try. But not tonight, ha.

In other news, has anyone done anything with qt4 on the Pandora? Other packages/games? Just curious.

There are a lot of Qt games and apps on the pandora.

If you use sebt3s toolchain, pndqmake is your friend.

If you compile on pandora, you can unse qmake directly.

The Pandora has qt4.6 though. A lot of new software relies on 4.7. There is a version of this on sebt3's homepage, if you need it, but it will add another 30mb to your pnd...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried porting pokerTH some weeks ago but cross-compiling was a nightmare and I decided to buy a new sd-card so I could work directly on the pandy. My current 16gb are awesome for holding lots of data, but they dislike any filesystem but fat32.

I know sd-cards are cheap, but I still didn't buy a new one yet.

I guess "Holding Nutz" would be a much easier port. While it's rather outdated and community not as big as with pokerTH, we might fill the gap and get a pandora-poker-community ^^

Well, just here to say that I would love to see PokerTH on the Pandora as well! I use it on my Laptop to play Poker against famous physicists like Einstein, Hawking, Planck, Feynman and Bohr :p

I also put it on my "things I'll try to port and fail miserably once I get my Pandora"-list, QT was also what put me off. It would still be a great addition, I would volunteer to add a set of "famous Pandora people" so you could play (loose) against ED, Craig, MWeston etc. (provided I manage to get pictures of them) ^_^

Well, just here to say that I would love to see PokerTH on the Pandora as well! I use it on my Laptop to play Poker against famous physicists like Einstein, Hawking, Planck, Feynman and Bohr :p

I also put it on my "things I'll try to port and fail miserably once I get my Pandora"-list, QT was also what put me off. It would still be a great addition, I would volunteer to add a set of "famous Pandora people" so you could play (loose) against ED, Craig, MWeston etc. (provided I manage to get pictures of them) ^_^

I'd like to see it too, as it is a fun little game. Like I said, I'll add this to my 'try to get it to compile list' sometime soon.

Also, the picture idea is brilliant, by the way, and would be an awesome addition. Even if you can't get pictures of them all, you could always use their avatars, as those are all familiar to the community.

True, I should probably ask them if they are ok with it first anyway, and let them decide on a picture/avatar, too. So it's a deal, if you manage to port it, I'll take care of this :)

And we could open it up to other community members, too; say a forum thread asking if people want their avatars/handles in the game. Would be a neat little touch, though we do need to get it ported, first, ha ha.

Pandora really could need a cool Poker game. :)

I hope this is not an Online Only game but also playable Offline against CPU opponents?

I had a look at it some time ago, it seemed to be simply qt, at the time I thought that it shouldn't be hard, but I have up because of reasons I forgot. I THINK it was online only, and this could be the reason.

But it was a long time ago so I may be wrong.

yes, holding nuts is online only. still far better then nothing.

offline poker is fine for a start, but you can as well just start online directly. Having a poker-calculator at hand will give you warm start. it's not like you poker for money and professional players use neither pokerTH nor holdingnuts anyway.

I did look for other programs but kept hitting links for linux clients to online.

whilst PokerTH is the ultimate goal something to play whilst I'm waiting will be cool. :p

Keep up the good work.

IT LIVES!

I still need to package it up. I also need to do some work fixing resolution issues (may just require a theme file with valid data).

But we've gone from highly unlikely to quite probable. And an attached screenshot to show you the resolution issue.

screen1.png

Back