Please Sell Me An Sd Card With Mame Working On It

grassjaw

Still Fresh
Hi im new to the GP2X and also new to the forum, i dont know if this is 'the done thing' but i need help

Im trying to get MAME running on my GP2X but just cant figure it out, i've followed the instructions that come with the file, i've tried following step-by-step guides but have had no joy.

MAME emulation is one of my main reasons for buying the GP2X because i really want to be able to play Turtles, Simpsons, and WWF. Ive tried and tried and tried and now i give up and am cheating.

PLEASE WILL SOMONE SELL ME AN SD CARD WITH A WORKING COPY OF MAME AND ROMS ON IT

(i hope that what im asking for isnt illegal)

grassjaw said:
Hi im new to the GP2X and also new to the forum, i dont know if this is 'the done thing' but i need help

Im trying to get MAME running on my GP2X but just cant figure it out, i've followed the instructions that come with the file, i've tried following step-by-step guides but have had no joy.

MAME emulation is one of my main reasons for buying the GP2X because i really want to be able to play Turtles, Simpsons, and WWF. Ive tried and tried and tried and now i give up and am cheating.

PLEASE WILL SOMONE SELL ME AN SD CARD WITH A WORKING COPY OF MAME AND ROMS ON IT

(i hope that what im asking for isnt illegal)

Yes it's probably illegal in your country, and yes, it's against the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which bit are you having trouble with? It's very straightforward!

1) Download http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1058
2) Unzip the files onto your SD card
3) Copy your roms onto your SD card in the mame/roms folder
4) Run mamegp2x

Or are you having trouble with the ROMS themselves? This mame doesn't run *all* mame roms, but will run just over 1,000 of them... In the zip file there is a supported games list.

The Simpsons doesn't run on current version of Mame. Not sure about Teenage Mutant Turtles, but I have this game on my computer and not on my Gp2x so I suppose I couldn't make it work. No info about WWF, but seems pretty new to work.

Selling copyrighted rom games is illegal in nearly the whole world. Asking for rom games is illegal in this forum.

PD: I checked the file gamelist.txt that is provided in the .ZIP of gp2x-mame: neither WWF nor Simpsons work. Turtles does, but I do not know which game Turtles is if not Teenage Mutant Turtles.

Thanks for all the advice and im very sorry about my request to buy roms. Its my first day on the forum and ive already broken the rules. I apologise.

juanvvc said:
Not sure about Teenage Mutant Turtles, but I have this game on my computer and not on my Gp2x so I suppose I couldn't make it work.
TMNT works well, all versions. Not played it to completion though...

nah, don't worry, welcome to the community.

grassjaw said:
Thanks for all the advice and im very sorry about my request to buy roms. Its my first day on the forum and ive already broken the rules. I apologise.

I choose this opportunity to climb aboard a soap-box I've been riding for more than a decade now.

The MAME guys made a _HUUUUUGE_ mistake (repeatedly) by deciding to complicate ROMS into a huge mess. In the 'old' emulation days, we'd keep a rom zip file trhat was a representation of the arcade board itself -- one rom chip, one file. This was becsause the rom zips could be sane, and used to repair arcade boards, and useful for emulation. But they can get big.

The MAME guys decided to split 'em up so that when Ms Pac only varies by a couple of files from Pac, they just put most of the files in one zip, and the changed ones in another. (I'm surprised they didn't do actual 'patches' and include only changed bytes, but I digress.)

So now we have problems where every version of MAME uses different 'rom files' and has made it hard for everyone, and actually perverted the whole rom file concept. Any one file likely depends on a dozen other files, and god only knows which ones, and when it breaks between MAME versions.. rediculous.

I mean, ROMs are ROMs, and Pac Man roms havent' changed since the 70s.. and yet, theres about 20 versions of them over MAMEs history, and since th4e 2nd year of MAME they varied away from XCade, RetroCade and every other emu.

What a mess!

jeff

(Sorry, every 5 years I need to get that off my chest :)

skeezix said:
So now we have problems where every version of MAME uses different 'rom files' and has made it hard for everyone, and actually perverted the whole rom file concept. Any one file likely depends on a dozen other files, and god only knows which ones, and when it breaks between MAME versions.. rediculous.
That's why I very rarely use MAME, because it's such a pain in the arse.

skeezix said:
I mean, ROMs are ROMs, and Pac Man roms havent' changed since the 70s.. and yet, theres about 20 versions of them over MAMEs history, and since th4e 2nd year of MAME they varied away from XCade, RetroCade and every other emu.
Amen, brother!

grassjaw said:
One thing that might be just as helpfull is a file list. That is a directory by directory list of files. Mame really is pretty simple to get working. Just download mame, unzip it into a directory on your hard disk, put roms in the rom directory and copy the whole structure to the sd card.

If the above directions don't help, let me know and I'll send you a list of files and where to put them.

Another option for games that aren't supported in gp2x mame is using an alternate emulator like picodrive and playing a console version of the game you like. It might not be the same exact thing, but most of them are pretty close.

Chris

Just so you know, after hours of fiddling round with CLRMAME Pro (that's probably where this guy's having problems, 'coz I barely understand it!) I got the Turtles arcade game running on my '2x. Slight slowdown, but not so much you notice.

Peace! :)

Oh, and I'm pretty sure simpsons and wwf wrestlefest don't work. Shame, I love those!

Sorting out ROMs isn't really *that* hard - it's knowing what to do is the trick.

Get yourself something like RomCenter (google it) and follow the instructions on how to create ROMS for MAME gp2x. The necessary ROM description files are included in the MAMEgp2x 5.1 archive. To create the ROMS for this version you will need a combination of ROMs - yes they change between versions of MAME.
Ideally a brand new set plus what's known as the MAME ROLLBACK (contains changed ROMS from 0.21 or so onwards!) set and you'll be able to create whatever version of ROMs you require.

skeezix said:
....So now we have problems where every version of MAME uses different 'rom files' and has made it hard for everyone, and actually perverted the whole rom file concept. Any one file likely depends on a dozen other files, and god only knows which ones, and when it breaks between MAME versions.. rediculous.

What a mess!

A mess is exactly that. I remember back "in the day" when Mame first came out and it was all command prompt only based. I also remember "Donkey Kong" working with full sound. All was good. Then they brought out the next version and all the sudden Donkey Kong had NO sound(or limited sound effects) and you needed samples for it. Now, just recently, you all of the sudden DON'T need samples anymore as the latest version of mame emulates the Donkey Kong sounds. I mean what the hell, just leave good enough alone. Always changing stuff. And it's stupid that you have to mix and match roms just to get something that worked just fine 2 versions ago and now will not work anymore. What a joke.

On a side note, any of you ever build you own Mame arcade cabinet? What kind of monitor do you use, computer or true arcade?

Blades

Thanks to everyone for their help, I have MAME up and running and im chuffed to bits, was surprised by the ammount of replies as this is my first time posting on a forum anywhere. So cheers everyone.

Back