Please Read Need Some Help With Battery's, Chargers Etc....

tgg

Ok I have a gp2x mk1 unit and I hear fro you guys that "I get like 4 hours of running time with my batterys" Now when you guys test the amount of hours the batterys last are the gp2x's staying continous on or are you turning them off after an hour then later the day on again and so on?

Another question is who, what, where type of batterys and charger you guys are using to acheive this amount because I'll buy them.

I have brand new duracells 2650mah bought from target and I have two chargers one, i got from a electronics store and the other is those wall mounted gray energizers chargers that come with 4 2500mah's.

I'm going to test the energizer charger to see if the hours last longer but I tested the duracells 2650mah's with the other charger and the gp2x lasted 2 hours continous on.

So I just wanted to know what are you guys using to get 4 hours time. Thanks..

Hey mate,

I use Sanyo 2500mAh rechargeable batteries, with a Sanyo charger that charges four in about three and a half hours or two in an hour and a half. I bought the whole set of four batteries and the charger for well under $20, and they're going great. They last for three to four hours.

Alex. said:
Hey mate,

I use Sanyo 2500mAh rechargeable batteries, with a Sanyo charger that charges four in about three and a half hours or two in an hour and a half. I bought the whole set of four batteries and the charger for well under $20, and they're going great. They last for three to four hours.
Now are you testing them keeping the gp2x on all through out the hours or what? Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
tgg said:
Alex. said:
Hey mate,

Now are you testing them keeping the gp2x on all through out the hours or what? Thanks...

Another question I notice my mk1 firmware 2.0.0 the battery indicator at the bottom of the gp2x comes on when the battery level reaches medium or looks like the gauge is half ways, i'm going into the settings/battery info area BTW, anyways is this normal for these gp2x's when the battery indicator comes on to soon maybe? does everyone ignore that and just keep using the gp2x? Thanks...

I'm using a Digital Concepts battery charger and 2500mAh batteries. It takes 16 hours to charge my batteries. I got the longer charge time batteries on purpose. They seem to work better that the 2500mAh Duracells that I am no longer using which took 3 hours to charge. I do not use the GP2X continuously and get close to four or more hours.

I really don't take notice of my playtime in relation to my battery life any more.

edit: I play until the screen fades into white.

darkman said:
I'm using a Digital Concepts battery charger and 2500mAh batteries. It takes 16 hours to charge my batteries. I got the longer charge time batteries on purpose. They seem to work better that the 2500mAh Duracells that I am no longer using which took 3 hours to charge. I do not use the GP2X continuously and get close to four or more hours.

I really don't take notice of my playtime in relation to my battery life any more.

Do you play while the the red light battery indicator is on?

tgg said:
darkman said:

Yeah, I really don't pay any attention to the red light. Mine has only came on when all hope is lost and things will be dead in a fews seconds sort of way. I have a MK2 unit and that feature seems a little buggy on mine. <_<

darkman said:
tgg said:
darkman said:

Yeah, I really don't pay any attention to the red light. Mine has only came on when all hope is lost and things will be dead in a fews seconds sort of way. I have a MK2 unit and that feature seems a little buggy on mine. <_<

ok hmm my mk1 red light comes on too soon i guess cause about an hour ago it came on and i left the gp2x on running black tiger in mame and its playing its own demo and the gp2x is still running so it must be a issue with mk1's or just depends on the unit.

I use Energizer 2500 mAH batteries with an energizer charger and get about 5,5-6 hours when I use it for low clock speed things such as nes emulation and manga viewing , and 2 - 2,5 hours for gba and snes emulation. A mixture of all these and about 3,5 - 4 hours and I guess it's normal.

I generally use mine in periods like 1 - 2 hours everyday btw.

Oh ; and also I'm one of those who never got the original gp2x batteries & charger work.It would immediately give battery empty warning or even don't boot properly and show white and lines.Guess they were crap.

My old GP2x used to get 4-5 hours when I got it on a set of 2500s.

However, as noted in an earlier thread, last time I had it, it was only managing ~1-1.5 hours on a fully charged (tested with a WizardOne charger - basically, the most amazing charger possible, but costs a bit) set.

So it does vary from Gp2x to GP2x.

I'm happy to report that nubie's old one (i.e. my current one) clocks in at closer to 3 hours, if not a little over, which is much better.

It could, therefore, just be that your GP2x has had one of those resistors fall off, and therefore is using up much more power than it should be. Or you could need different batteries/charger.

Well i with these 2650 duracells last night I got like 3-4 hours of running time continous, but half of that the red light came on on the gp2x but it still ran until later in the 3-4 hours. I stil want to know does the gp2x re light come on to soon sometimes or what?

On occasion, yes. But then sometimes it doesn't come on until very late - I've have times when there's been as little as 20 seconds between the light going on and the machine turning off.

Depends on your batteries and your 2x. If your batteries provide power at a slightly lower voltage for longer (as far as I understand it), then the led will come on earlier.

If, on the other hand, they provide power at their full voltage for most of their life-span and then it shoots down, obviously there's going to be less time when the GP2x can detect that aforementioned batteries are running low on power...

Or I could be wrong, of course :)

darkman said:
tgg said:
darkman said:

A question I did go to big lots and saw one left of the digital concepts chrager and it came with 4 2000mahs, and I didnt get it because I thought I was looking for the 2500mahs packs. So i went to walmart and they have a bunch of the same packs but it comes with 2000mah's also. So i just got one there then bought a seperate 4 pack of digitals concepts 2500mahs seperate.

So did you buy the charger pack that came with 2500mahs or 2000mahs? Also will the charger still charger the 2500mahs? Thanks...

It will, don't worry about these little details, just have fun :) If the batteries don't give you as much life as you'd expect, then try charging them twice before using them.

As for testing for time, I got *approximately* three-four hours with 2500mAh's through casual use, not continuous on-time.

tgg said:
A question I did go to big lots and saw one left of the digital concepts chrager and it came with 4 2000mahs, and I didnt get it because I thought I was looking for the 2500mahs packs. So i went to walmart and they have a bunch of the same packs but it comes with 2000mah's also. So i just got one there then bought a seperate 4 pack of digitals concepts 2500mahs seperate.

So did you buy the charger pack that came with 2500mahs or 2000mahs? Also will the charger still charger the 2500mahs? Thanks...
There is a possiblity that I did get the 2000 batteries with the charger, I use them for my digital camera. It has been a while. Yes the charger will charge the 2500. I time the batteries and make sure I only charge them for 16 hours. The charger doesn't seem to have any way of telling when they are ready. The charger that I have charges 2 or 4 batteries at a time.

Back