Please Fix The Right Anolog Nub Functions

paddy

Website
Visit site
Hello

I have asked before in regards to mapping the games controls to other more usefull functions so we can use the mouse buttons more easily ,i am asking once more if this can be done and a full tutorial on how to do it becase this right anolog being used for mouse left and right click is starting to make me crazy ,it simply doesn't always work as intended even with the sensitivity way down ,most of the time i only require a right click as the stylus is doing all my left clicking for me.

When on the subject of these anolog nubs i have noticed they seem to work fine in n64 emulation but in everything else they do not work, the calibration of the nubs doesn't work as intended and if i try to calibrate or manual up down left right diagnals ,both my nubs end up being very unresponsive and i can never get the mouse to travel in a straight line for left and right ,up and down seem fine but left and right are more like up/right and up/left when trying to move left or right.

Anyway is it possible for me to map left and right mouse buttons to the XB game buttons ? (X left click) (B right click) that is all i want not asking for anything else other than an explanation as to why the nubs simply do not work for me on the OS desktop enviroment ,i am ready to disable both nubs in the OS as they cause more hassle than anything alse and i do not wish the need to use them other than possibly a scroll function and or volume/brightness controls.

cheers

PokeParadox said:
I say it should be the L and R triggers.... for left and right click...
The gaming buttons work great as pg up pg down home and end....

yes i thought this as well but now i don't really like the shoulder buttons as much as i first did ,and i find them harder to get to as i don't hold the pandora at the fully open position.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love an option for the left nub to be mouse position, the right nub to emulate a four-way scroll wheel, and buttons to be click

atomicthumbs said:
I'd love an option for the left nub to be mouse position, the right nub to emulate a four-way scroll wheel, and buttons to be click

I'm not sure about the buttons as click, but isn't there already an "Use nub for scrolling" configuration on the Pandora? I haven't tried it, but I suspect that's what you want.

atomicthumbs said:

currently left nub is mouse ,but well kinda useless as the more you use it ,like as in after 10 seconds of use it goes all wonky :( and very unresponsive to the point you can no longer use it ,left becomes very slow while right stays nice and fast but even then it's going all over the place and not as directed by the user.

I have no idea if these nubs are faulty ,i don't think they are becase they work fine when playing n64 games ,i tested this quite a bit with mario64 on the title screen and options screen as you really have a mario hand/mouse cursor to move about but the issues on the desktop were not there in mario64 after around 3 minutes of testing.

In any case i really need the ability to right click with acuracy and the only other option for rightclick is holding down the stylus leftclick for a fewseconds but this also doesn't make for good use.

Are there any shortcut keys i could hold down that would change the stylus leftclick into a rightclick (without holding more than one keypad key down)

paddy said:
[currently left nub is mouse ,but well kinda useless as the more you use it ,like as in after 10 seconds of use it goes all wonky :( and very unresponsive to the point you can no longer use it ,left becomes very slow while right stays nice and fast but even then it's going all over the place and not as directed by the user.
My vote says your nubs are faulty. Try swapping the L and R round, and see if your mouse movement is different. I´m a one nubber, to start with my right was useless for mouse buttons so I did without a mouse move. I swapped them back to default when the R nub started to work, then tonight cleaned the right nub.
When set to mouse movement, I can get reasonble control, deadzone of about a character width. smooth acceleration to full speed, and straight lines.. haven´t tried drawing with it though.

Im now totaly pissed off,i think both nubs are broken as they really are useless on the desktop,both are gritty but the left one is really bad,i complained about this with my original unit and it was supposed to have been checked.

it is strange how even when these nubs are rubbish in the os,they are fine in mario64 as tested again so is it possible the nubs are mostly working and it is a bug or error in the os or can someone with fully working nubs confirm they can do full circles with both nubs set to mouse in the os for more than 30 seconds before the nubs stop responding to the full circle motion.

i need to know if this unit needs to go back asap

Just to cover all bases, just to be sure (so please pardon me if this is a redundant question ;)), when are you calibrating the nubs?

Prometheus said:
Just to cover all bases, just to be sure (so please pardon me if this is a redundant question ;) ), when are you calibrating the nubs?
when are you supposed to? during start-up, right? I have nub problems occasionally also, usually with the right one not doing the clicks correctly. Sometimes it double clicks when it should single click sometimes it simply won't single click, other times it clicks w/o touching it. I'm wondering if my right nub is faulty. OP should make a nub calibration/test pnd.

Looks like n64 is the unofficial nub test, guess I'll try that. been dying to do get into some n64 action anyways :p

MonkeyChops said:
Prometheus said:
Just to cover all bases, just to be sure (so please pardon me if this is a redundant question ;) ), when are you calibrating the nubs?
when are you supposed to? during start-up, right? I have nub problems occasionally also, usually with the right one not doing the clicks correctly. Sometimes it double clicks when it should single click sometimes it simply won't single click, other times it clicks w/o touching it. I'm wondering if my right nub is faulty. OP should make a nub calibration/test pnd.

Looks like n64 is the unofficial nub test, guess I'll try that. been dying to do get into some n64 action anyways :p

If you want to test your right nub in N64, try going ingame on Mario 64 and seeing if the camera freaks out. (The right stick is currently mapped to C buttons, which are all the camera buttons in Mario 64)

-God Ginrai

Prometheus said:

I don't usualy calibrate them ,but i have tried at boot up and in the os desktop and via nub options.

I know for sure on this unit that the left nub is faulty becase i have tried to calibrate it several times and now the nub doesn't move very well at all in the physical hardware terms and it seems to have become very gritty ,mabe there was more fragments of plastic and when i have been calibrating the nub i have broken those fragments up even more making the nub very gritty and totaly useless ,i have tried some air in the left nub but it has not removed anything ,bare in mind the right nub is also faulty but it is not as bad ,both these nubs will not allow for a full circle on the OS.

I will need to email OPT again.

Line O said:
paddy said:
Im now totaly pissed off
Well that's never happened before.

What is your point ?

Second unit and this unit was supposed to have been checked for the nub issue as well as other things ,i should have spent an hour picking out my unit at this rate ,it pisses me off becase the unit i have is really one of those one nub units (actuly a no nub unit) by the looks of things ,not really fair i think and it also makes me sad to think many pandora units could be like this.

paddy said:
Im now totaly pissed off,i think both nubs are broken as they really are useless on the desktop,both are gritty but the left one is really bad,i complained about this with my original unit and it was supposed to have been checked.

it is strange how even when these nubs are rubbish in the os,they are fine in mario64 as tested again so is it possible the nubs are mostly working and it is a bug or error in the os or can someone with fully working nubs confirm they can do full circles with both nubs set to mouse in the os for more than 30 seconds before the nubs stop responding to the full circle motion.

i need to know if this unit needs to go back asap
Well I would say that mupen has its own nub init code... so maybe your OS values for the nubs are borked.
All I know is that the nubs work fine for me... just a little too sensitive in mupen.

The following is how to calibrate them correctly:

Push them up, down, left, right to the edge, then let go of them so they spring back by themselves.

Ie push up, as far as it will go, then let go (it must spring back). Do that for each direction. Then do some circles.

That should set them up. If you don't do this they can go wrong during that session until reset. If they are working in N64 then they are obviously not defective.

paddy, please calm down - there are definitely some software issues yet to be solved, related to the functionality of the nubs .. its early days on this, yet, and for sure there are going to be some updates on how this works in the near future - what we have now is functional if you treat it right, and sometimes buggy/confusing if you don't. you *have* to calibrate the nubs every time you reboot/poweroff the pandora, thats just the way it is, and probably this will get easier in the future with an automatically-launched 'recalibrated your nubs please' game or control panel that is started on each boot. the fact is, these nubs are custom-made for the pandora and there is still some work to be done to get the technology smoothed out with the supporting software .. getting mad about it isn't necessary, because progress is happening as we type ..

torpor said:
paddy, please calm down - there are definitely some software issues yet to be solved, related to the functionality of the nubs .. its early days on this, yet, and for sure there are going to be some updates on how this works in the near future - what we have now is functional if you treat it right, and sometimes buggy/confusing if you don't. you *have* to calibrate the nubs every time you reboot/poweroff the pandora, thats just the way it is, and probably this will get easier in the future with an automatically-launched 'recalibrated your nubs please' game or control panel that is started on each boot. the fact is, these nubs are custom-made for the pandora and there is still some work to be done to get the technology smoothed out with the supporting software .. getting mad about it isn't necessary, because progress is happening as we type ..

Torpor ,i am really not mad at all with this ,it's just quite a bit anoying that both of these nubs are well not working ,like i said with n64 the left nub seems to work perfectly ,i can even make mario run around in circles but in the os ,where it would be much more noticable for errors ,i can't really use them at all ,i have spent an hour reca\librating them and then testing them ,i don't know why everyone thinks i have not done this.

I would imagine it's the OS to fault ,i just hate this gritty left nub but i am happy to hold on to my pandora if others can confirm this is not a fault and more so that everyone has the same situation ,not just those who were offered a one nub pandora becase OPT know they do not work.

I think words can sometimes/most of the time come off wrong ,i am not angry ,mabe just a little pisssed at the thought my pandora was/is faulty and need to return it,that being said ,the left nub is gritty and no matter how many times i recalibrate the nub,it is not of much use on the desktop ,yet others seem to be saying their's work fine and can do straight lines and stuff ,mine goes all over the screen (after countless calibration/reboots and this is with a fresh flash ,i reflashed last night as my nand was nearly full and i couldn't remove stuff ,so it was just after than and the hotfixes that i tested the nubs out further becase i was getting sick of the right anolog nub as mouse click ,it was becoming painfull/frustrating trying to rightclick, hence this thread.

If OPT can read this and tell me the nubs are working fine ,after the tests i have done following the instructions in earlyer posts by Ed and others ,which i have read last night and i have tried all this already ,if OPT still say they are working as intended then i am fine to stick with it.

the nubs have different modes - mouse, joystick, switch mode (i think its switch mode, not sure actually) - and in n64 they're being accessed as joysticks, and thus they work better than the hacky 'mouse' mode which is quite a weird hack, actually .. this code (mouse mode) just needs to be improved by someone with some filter design to make it physically more useful, but it'll get there eventually ..

Back