Pocket projectors: PIQO and Philips PicoPix Max

The cost of the one on Indiegogo is higher and seems indeed overpriced.

If you are interested in a "good+small" projector, search about the Nebula 2 for example (better speakers), instead if you like "smallness" over quality, this could be the one to choose.

About the Lumens, during the waiting I found some informative site that was explaining the thing better. It was making difference between "ANSI lumen" and "lumen", specifying that a value of 50 ANSI lumen for a LED projector was a high and good value (it was an old article).
Values higher that these make a LED projectors VERY HIGH PRICED.

https://www.personalprojector.co.uk...o1PIa8RTuH5mctyQ5h0Uwz8KB2llgFskgn3Cd0_2Z71x0

Now, the 1000+ values we see all around are NOT ANSI lumen, but just "lumen", else values like theese could be reached only with more powerful projectors with others light sources.

After this digression, is still difficult to say the ANSI lumen value of this projector... definitely is higher than 50, but no one had a way to actually measure it... so everyone are saying everything like with the rest of the components...

"It's 100", "Seems 200 like my other projector", "It's definitely NOT 200, more like 50", "Seems 150 to me..."
"The fan is loud, it's impossible to hear the speaker !!", "The fan is ok, it's difficult to hear its noise"
"The speaker suck !! It's not useful at all !!", "The speaker is good, I wasn't expecting this quality after all the bad comments !!", "The speaker is ok, not the best, but does its work"
and so on...

Oh, and about the "clone" argument... well, the PIQO team always tells that they have the original, and everything else is a clone to be reported !!

Last edited:
well if they indeed ordered from that chinese company they have no other choice but to try and keep selling them, this kind of order is payed upfront and as they themselves will not get a refund they sit on a lot of stock they need to get rid of asap (before the bad reports spread any wider)

+1 for the Nebula II - slightly larger than a can of soda and "only" 720p but mine works quite nicely

INDIEGOGO is changing his answer to users:

Thank you for checking in about this campaign. At this time, the campaign, ‘PIQO: World’s Most Powerful 1080p Pocket Projector’, is under review to ensure that it adheres to our Terms of Use.

xD This is incredible !! Are they living in another universe ?!

The truth about the DLP chip is now clear, and everyone knows by now that the hardware is NOT capable of 1080p, but STILL:
PIQO said:
Our engineers are currently working on the firmware update to fix this issue and once it has been finished then we will let you know.

I have no words... :-#

An official update was made !! And as always doesn't speak about the resolution matter, at all !! xD
They just speak about the slow delivery and:
Limited Indiegogo Comments Servicing

Given the significant volume of Indiegogo comments and difficulties in maintaining continuity through multiple threads, we have decided to limit Indiegogo comment customer service support. Going forward we will only be checking significantly less frequently (not daily) and may not be able to get to all the queries in time. However, we are still fielding emails sent to team@piqoprojector.com daily and you'll be able to get the best and most consistent service by emailing us there!

As if they ever significantly answered to things in the comments. :confused:

About the Lumens, during the waiting I found some informative site that was explaining the thing better. It was making difference between "ANSI lumen" and "lumen", specifying that a value of 50 ANSI lumen for a LED projector was a high and good value (it was an old article).
Values higher that these make a LED projectors VERY HIGH PRICED.

https://www.personalprojector.co.uk...o1PIa8RTuH5mctyQ5h0Uwz8KB2llgFskgn3Cd0_2Z71x0

Now, the 1000+ values we see all around are NOT ANSI lumen, but just "lumen", else values like theese could be reached only with more powerful projectors with others light sources.
I think you are still confused. The article clearly states, that 50 ansi lumen is the minimum that an LED projector should realistically deliver and that is not "a good value", while 200 ansi lumen is an adequate (still not good) value. It also clearly states, that ansi lumen is the only relevant unit of measurement and all other "lumen" numbers given are marketing lies, completely arbitrary (ranging from 6x the actual lumen to over 20x) and not to be trusted at all. There is nothing like "just lumen", only ansi lumen. ANSI being an organisation which defines norms, just like iso norms which are defined by the ISO.

If I were to state that outside right now the temperature is over 500 degrees celsius, everyone would know I am full of BS, because celsius is an established unit of measurement. There is no other kind of degrees celsius. I would have to make up my own unit of measurement. It's the other way around here, as the ANSI is an american organization and compliance to their standards is voluntary. That's how these scammers (yes, they are scamming people with confusing claims) can mislead people without getting into legal trouble.

I still find these answers funny (they are still responding on indiegogo even if they told they do have stopped):
PIQO said:
Hi <name>, PIQO is sill 1080p capable. If there will be any issues with y our projector, please email us. We will definitely help you

Seem like to speak with a child... they discovered that the "native" term they used before was wrong... so they now use "capable" xD

of course it is 1080p capable, playing works fine - just the output resolution will not be 1080p ... matter of semantics there, not even an outright lie xD

I just have to report these because it's fun to see how they are still responding:

PIQO said:
Hi <name>, PIQO is 1080p

PIQO said:
Hi <name>, PIQO has a manual focus adjustment feature. If you will experience blurry picture, you just have to adjust it and you should have a clear 1080p picture

Oh, seems like they are not giving refund anymore even to the ones that have still not received the device.

PIQO said:
Hi <name>,

Please note that the chipset is 1080p capable. We have delivered thousands of units and only a few had issues with their projectors. The ones posting their comments on Indiegogo is a very tiny percentage of it.

Unfortunately, we cannot issue a refund but we will send you your projector as promised. However, we apologize for the long wait and all the inconvenience this has caused.

On the other side, since people now know that it is not a native 1080p, started to appreciate the picture quality, given the size of the device.

Yes, if it's actually 480p and properly widescreen, and seems to be decently bright from the video evidence I've seen thus far, it seems like it's not a total washout. The only problem is the official retailer continuing to lie about what it can do, and to be fair I don't actually know what this sort of thing should cost these days, but I wouldn't be completely disheartened to receive this.

People still ask about the promised firmware update for 1080p
PIQO said:
Hi <name>, we are still waiting for further updates on this issue

Some users told about the presence of firmware updates available.
Them are not doing anything about the resolution, but seems like are solving some of the issues that were present on apps like YouTube.
The devices are still reaching people in a very slow way.

In the mean time, the campaign of the Philips projector IT'S OVER 9000% funded :cool:
They needed €50.000, they reached €4.884.794 and counting.

Two of the very few really informative reviews I found around.

This seems to be just a software issue, and so fixable with a possible update.

This instead seems mechanic.

I have absolutely no idea if the next one is a good or a bad review

Last edited:
Back