Phoneme V0.2 Released: J2me For Gp2x!

Eclipse

Website
0xdeadc0de.org
I'm pleased to announce another and better version of the PhoneME porting by Zaxxon.

This J2ME porting can run java mobile phone games even better than the average phone and with more confortable controls.
For example it can run DoomRPG, Worms 2007, 300, Company of Heroes, Rainbow Six Vegas, Destroy all Humans 2 ect fullspeed and much more...

in the new release:

- Screen rotation now works properly even for 240x320 games, now it fits perfectly the gp2x screen
- Added a variable to choose when to launch a game with rotated screen or not
- Added Dungeon Dweller as sample game, it's a great Roguelike and is freely downloadable here: http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/
- Some minor bugs fixed

Now the porting needs *only* sound support for MIDP2 games, if you're a developer interested in making a release or you just want to mess with the code follow the instructions and hints in the readme file.

Download it here

Yes, thanks for this update. Would be really nice to have sound, too.

Regards,
Stephan

I've never used such games on a mobile Phone...but I don't use mobile phones at all. :D
Of course in TV they beat you with all this "JAMBA" Download Crap every 5 Minutes (at least here in Germany) so I would like to know how good these Games are because they are often using big and well known Names. So is this "Worms 2007" etc. good?

bman said:
Rotated screen variable does not seem to work. I can use the rotate button, though.
Screen rotation parameter does work. But make sure you download the latest version. The link in the first post refers to an older version. Download it here.

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,2634

I tried some games and very surprised about the quality and playability. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
I've never used such games on a mobile Phone...but I don't use mobile phones at all. :D
Of course in TV they beat you with all this "JAMBA" Download Crap every 5 Minutes (at least here in Germany) so I would like to know how good these Games are because they are often using big and well known Names. So is this "Worms 2007" etc. good?
Most games I have tried seemed rubbish to me, but there are exceptions. DoomRPG is really outstanding treat of a mobile game, Nate Adams Feestyle Motocross is quite similar to Elastomania/Action Cross (if you like those, you may like NAFM too), V-Rally 3D was rather surprising for me too. I am sure there are more good ones, but DoomRPG is my latest comrade in the bits of free time one sometimes gets at work :)

Oh, and of course thanks to Zaxxon for the port, have yet to try it but the news are great!

yes, there are many good games, not only that "jamba" crap :)
the mobile phone market is full of interesting small and indie developers and they're the ones that makes real good games, in a lot of cases the big tittle conversion for mobile sucks, but there are pretty good games for that too, for example Company of Heroes or Destroy All Humans 2, even Rainbow Six Vegas is pretty nice to play.

Still the best one are the ones that "born" on mobile phone. Anyway the average game quality is very high! I was surprised too when i got a new nokia and few games

There's no sound at all, MIDP 1.0 have no sound support so mostly MIDP 1 games have no sound or they uses specifical mobile phone manufactureer libraries.
MIDP 2.0 features an almost standard sound API interface, but unluckly there's no free implementation for ARM devices such the gp2x.
So to have sound support we need to implement phoneME functions for sound support in another manner, like rewrinting all that stuff using SDL_sound or another library that works on the gp2x.

Zaxxon is still working on it so maybe he will end up with something, but there's no a schedule nor a date atm.
So if you're a developer feel free to search around on how to implement sound support!

PS edited the link, sorry for that :)

mfk said:
Screen rotation parameter does work. But make sure you download the latest version.
I am already using 0.2 and the first time I started Dweller it was horizontal. So I loaded Pirates 2 and used the variable and got it vertical. Works great. Plays just fine. So, I start Dweller again and now it's ALWAYS vertical, regardless of variable or button rotation. Not sure what the heck is going on there. So I removed my phoneme dir and extracted from scratch. Guess what, still vertical. What the heck?

I have two questions.

1. I tried to install Pro Evolution soccer, and it worked, but the action buttons doesn't work (A, Y, B, X). Select, home and directions does. What do I have to change?

2. there is a part in README file I don't understand:

"" all those ambient variables are needed to bind the gp2x keys for the game, names are self explanatory: J2ME_GP2X_JOYU for UP, J2ME_GP2X_JOYDR for joystick Down-Right (only in F100), and so on.
export J2ME_GP2X_REVERSE=1 serves to games that needs to be rotated, to disable screen rotation simply delete this row.

Here's the list of values you can use

KEYMAP_KEY_INVALID = 0
KEYMAP_KEY_BACKSPACE = 8
KEYMAP_KEY_POUND = 35
KEYMAP_KEY_ASTERISK = 42
KEYMAP_KEY_0 = 48
KEYMAP_KEY_1 = 49
KEYMAP_KEY_2 = 50
KEYMAP_KEY_3 = 51
KEYMAP_KEY_4 = 52
KEYMAP_KEY_5 = 53
KEYMAP_KEY_6 = 54
KEYMAP_KEY_7 = 55
KEYMAP_KEY_8 = 56
KEYMAP_KEY_9 = 57
KEYMAP_KEY_SPACE = 32
KEYMAP_KEY_UP = -1
KEYMAP_KEY_DOWN = -2
KEYMAP_KEY_LEFT = -3
KEYMAP_KEY_RIGHT = -4
KEYMAP_KEY_SELECT = -5
KEYMAP_KEY_SOFT1 = -6
KEYMAP_KEY_SOFT2 = -7
KEYMAP_KEY_CLEAR = -8
KEYMAP_KEY_SEND = -10
KEYMAP_KEY_END = -11
KEYMAP_KEY_POWER = -12
KEYMAP_KEY_GAMEA = -13
KEYMAP_KEY_GAMEB = -14
KEYMAP_KEY_GAMEC = -15
KEYMAP_KEY_GAMED = -16
KEYMAP_KEY_GAME_UP = -17
KEYMAP_KEY_GAME_DOWN = -18
KEYMAP_KEY_GAME_LEFT = -19
KEYMAP_KEY_GAME_RIGHT = -20
KEYMAP_KEY_DEBUG_TRACE1 = -21
KEYMAP_KEY_SCREEN_ROT = -22

KEYMAP_KEY_SCREEN_ROT (-22) is no longer needed because you can choose to rotate the screen with the export J2ME_GP2X_REVERSE=1 line and save a button for better uses, still can be usefull for some games that have problems with the screen rotation at startup (the only one i found is Darkest Fear 3 at the moment).

Sadly, on F200 there are only 4 keys for the pad so the diagonals and the joystick click are not bindables. ""

That keymaps are used in the example? how?

Thanks for the help.

the readme says that you can't bind diagonals for the f200 but I got diagonals working for the sample game dungeon dweller which is a cool game by the way. heres the key config i used

export J2ME_GP2X_JOYU=50
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUL=-16
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYL=52
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDL=42
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYD=56
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDR=35
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYR=54
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUR=-15
export J2ME_GP2X_START=-6
export J2ME_GP2X_SELECT=-7
export J2ME_GP2X_LEFT=-8
export J2ME_GP2X_RIGHT=48
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTA=-13
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTB=-14
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTX=0
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTY=0
export J2ME_GP2X_VOLU=0
export J2ME_GP2X_VOLD=0
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYC=53

the default config that was with it had the volume keys and y an x as diagonals. I looked at what the game was using for binding cause in the game it called menu and calendar what you had listed as gamec and gamed in the readme. anyway i used the values that were used on the vol keys and x and y keys and got diagonals to work on the f200. I figure that would work for the f100 as well. so for anyone who wants to use dungeon dweller game with diagonals use the keys i pasted or at least the vaules for diagonals.

edit: It would also be very helpfull if anyone who got some good games working could post what they are and their config file with keys used like i have above for dungeon dweller

We can probably contribute that data to the WIKI. You could adjust the keys in Dweller. It's in the setup.

I downloaded a package with 400 j2me games and a lot are working. Some still crash with java errors. I tried to set a default template for my install script so I use this getup for a phone equivalent:

R
I       B       START              GU        SOFT1
G    Y   X    SELECT    0    GL  GR    SOFT2
H      A                               GD
T   ---------                     --------
    |           |                  |           |
     ---------                    ---------

L    UR R DR    Vol+          1 2 3        *
E    U      D                 5    4    6
F    UL L  DL    Vol-           7 8 9       #
T

Which turns out to be this:

export J2ME_GP2X_JOYU=52
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUL=55
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYL=56
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDL=57
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYD=54
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDR=51
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYR=50
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUR=49
export J2ME_GP2X_LEFT=53
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTA=-18
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTX=-20
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTY=-19
export J2ME_GP2X_VOLU=42
export J2ME_GP2X_VOLD=35
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYC=-22
export J2ME_GP2X_REVERSE=0

thanks. for example doomrpg with settings from the gpe already supplied (not your script) just allows directional movement but the buttons do nothing.

dungeon dweller is really hard to set keys in game especially diagonals. since it asks for all key binds at once and asks for an alternate you can end up accidentally binding the wrong keys easily. thats why i went through the trouble of setting the config file specifically for that game.

one game i wanted to be able to play by mr. goodliving called alien attack (or abduction which i think is an older version) crashed with a fullcanvas error or something.

I'm away for the weekend so I don't have everything usually available right now but I hope I can get most games to work right with your setup. Its time consuming to set individual configs.

anyway this is a great program that opens up tons of new games for gp2x users. And since cell phone games are usually fairly small we can put a lot of games on our sd cards without taking up too much space.

bman said:
mfk said:
Screen rotation parameter does work. But make sure you download the latest version.
I am already using 0.2 and the first time I started Dweller it was horizontal. So I loaded Pirates 2 and used the variable and got it vertical. Works great. Plays just fine. So, I start Dweller again and now it's ALWAYS vertical, regardless of variable or button rotation. Not sure what the heck is going on there. So I removed my phoneme dir and extracted from scratch. Guess what, still vertical. What the heck?

It seems that if I leave the parm out, rotation works. So, setting it to 0 is ineffective.

Updated archive for install script to reflect that. May take a few days.

bman said:
We can probably contribute that data to the WIKI. You could adjust the keys in Dweller. It's in the setup.

I downloaded a package with 400 j2me games and a lot are working. Some still crash with java errors. I tried to set a default template for my install script so I use this getup for a phone equivalent:

R
I B START GU SOFT1
G Y X SELECT 0 GL GR SOFT2
H A GD
T --------- --------
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
--------- ---------

L UR R DR Vol+ 1 2 3 *
E U D 5 4 6
F UL L DL Vol- 7 8 9 #
T

Which turns out to be this:

export J2ME_GP2X_JOYU=52
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUL=55
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYL=56
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDL=57
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYD=54
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYDR=51
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYR=50
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYUR=49
export J2ME_GP2X_LEFT=53
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTA=-18
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTX=-20
export J2ME_GP2X_BUTY=-19
export J2ME_GP2X_VOLU=42
export J2ME_GP2X_VOLD=35
export J2ME_GP2X_JOYC=-22
export J2ME_GP2X_REVERSE=0

I tried that ones with pro evolution soccer, and only button L worked. I will try to see what happens

I updated the script. PES2008 works like a charm. Plays really well (without sound.) Any suggestions, I'd be glad to fix.

Back