Personally Disappointed With Gp2x

lancelott

I've had mine since December I believe. It's a GP2X 1 second revision.

I was excited when progress was actually happening on the emulators, but now it seems like little to nothing is going on.

SquidgeSNES is dead except small hacks that come and go. It's far from perfect.
GPFCE's author just disappeared like all the NES authors have. The button mappings are less than optimal; it's too easy to mess up when saving/loading.
DrMD is pretty good. Seems buggier than the build that was done before the constant flickering though. But it's definitely good.
GNUboy has slow development and the new release has yet to come out for months, but I have high hopes that it will deliver.
HU6280 is great, but did the author die? He was in the middle of porting it to everything and making some chip/addon work, then I never saw a new version.
PSX4GP2X is good. Legend of Mana is playable. Too complicated to hold my interest though.
MAME hasn't really gone beyond the current romset it's had since 2.3 or so. Somewhat disappointing.
GNGeo is decent, but it's annoyingly hard to find compatible roms. It would be better if there was a standardized collection of them.

I got this primarily for emulation and as far as emulation goes, I'm not terribly interested in systems before SMS or NES. Homebrew isn't that appealing to me yet because there isn't a really killer app out there. I have a 4GB SD card and I'd like to make use of it by filling it with ROMs. The current emulation scene for this system is being kind of disappointing. Best thing to happen lately was Gmenu2x, but that doesn't help in the area that matters, the games.

Also slightly annoying that firmware hasn't come in a while. 2.0.0 w/ Gmenu2x is good but it could be better...

Does anyone else feel this way? I check daily and it's rare for there to be any exciting news. Couple MAME releases, GNGeo and Gmenu2x updates in the past few weeks, but not much else.

I'll just sum-up, since this isn't worthy of a lengthy lambasting:

Piss-off, jerk.

Whine whine whine... Yes, I'm eagerly awaiting the next version of SquidgeSNES, the next version of GNUboy and PSX4ALL ... but I also understand that these programs are developped by people in their spare time... (ok I dev also) but jeez show some understanding instead of being a little whining... whiner...

or do as TelcoLou says...

TelcoLou posted on Sep 8 2006 at 11:54 PM said:

Piss-off, jerk.

Why? He was just stating his opinio.n You're allowed to do that in life.

It wasnt unjustified, it had decent grammar.

Youre the fool

Last edited by a moderator:

Piss-off, jerk.
bit harsh

lous in a mood

anyhow its earlier doors yet for the gp2x, have a butchers at the history of the gp32, we have a lot already for the gp2x come back in 18months time

Maybe these people who write these emulators have full time jobs and lives! They didn't get smart enough to write this code by sitting on their asses all day. They are probably professionals who do this for fun when they get the time after they do what is necessary to pay the bills!

He wasn't bashing the people who make the emulators, hes bashing the emulators themselves. When someone buys the gp2x, they don't think I hope the developers have no lives. They don't care what the developers are doing - they are caring about the finished product.

Some comments from the other side --- a very happy gp2xer.

Squidgesnes with the mmu hack and clocked to 266 mhz plays all my games beautifully, with sound.
GNGeo is amazing, metal slug/bust-a-move/shumps/fighting games all play amazingly (This is my favorite emulator, now with save-states).
PSX4All is getting more playable (einhander is almost almost playable, and there are many speedups on the way).
DrMD is the finest Genesis emulator I have yet seen.
Hu6280 is great (the addons that haven't been completed are supergraphix and other oddities), the games all run full speed.
ScummVM (newest version) plays DayOfTheTentacle and Full Throttle pretty well, very fun.

SNES SNES
For full speed snes, download the last squidgesnes version with the mmu hack from here
http://rapidshare.de/files/25698544/squidg..._0.37c.zip.html
and follow the instructions to overclock
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=30055

chiefsmurph posted on Sep 8 2006 at 05:18 PM said:
He wasn't bashing the people who make the emulators, hes bashing the emulators themselves. When someone buys the gp2x, they don't think I hope the developers have no lives. They don't care what the developers are doing - they are caring about the finished product.
Hmmn, that is where the grey area begins. GPH doesn't claim this is an emulator. It is a personal entertainment player and gaming machine. They mention homebrew and it is this forum that helped me discover the emulator capability of this machine (which I think is great).

Personally, I am not interested in a GP2X because I don't believe it is powerful enough. As long as no one is rude about what they dislike, I don't see it being a problem. In fact, I like the candid opinions about each emulator.

GNGeo is decent, but it's annoyingly hard to find compatible roms. It would be better if there was a standardized collection of them.

So, basically, you're blaming the emulator for your own inability to find working roms? That just doesn't make any sense...sounds like someone searching for an exuse to dislike something.

Man, he was just voicing an opinion, no need to all go crazy at him! This isthe kind of thing that scares new people away from these boards.

Although im pretty happy with the emulation scene, I can see where he is coming from; sometimes the emulators do progress quite slowly.

lancelott posted on Sep 8 2006 at 06:48 PM said:

I was excited when progress was actually happening on the emulators, but now it seems like little to nothing is going on.

GPFCE's author just disappeared like all the NES authors have. The button mappings are less than optimal; it's too easy to mess up when saving/loading.
DrMD is pretty good. Seems buggier than the build that was done before the constant flickering though. But it's definitely good.
GNUboy has slow development and the new release has yet to come out for months, but I have high hopes that it will deliver.
HU6280 is great, but did the author die? He was in the middle of porting it to everything and making some chip/addon work, then I never saw a new version.
PSX4GP2X is good. Legend of Mana is playable. Too complicated to hold my interest though.
MAME hasn't really gone beyond the current romset it's had since 2.3 or so. Somewhat disappointing.

I got this primarily for emulation and as far as emulation goes, I'm not terribly interested in systems before SMS or NES. Homebrew isn't that appealing to me yet because there isn't a really killer app out there. I have a 4GB SD card and I'd like to make use of it by filling it with ROMs. The current emulation scene for this system is being kind of disappointing. Best thing to happen lately was Gmenu2x, but that doesn't help in the area that matters, the games.

Also slightly annoying that firmware hasn't come in a while. 2.0.0 w/ Gmenu2x is good but it could be better...

Does anyone else feel this way? I check daily and it's rare for there to be any exciting news. Couple MAME releases, GNGeo and Gmenu2x updates in the past few weeks, but not much else.
Know your role and shut your mouth. Nobody owes you any updates on anything, so as a much wiser man once said,
Piss-off, jerk.

- Alex

TelcoLou posted on Sep 8 2006 at 06:54 PM said:

Piss-off, jerk.

hahaha, agreed completely.

you get what you pay for. You didn't pay for any of those emulators did you? no. if you don't like them, go buy a psp to be disappointed even more. It sounds like you'd fit in well with that community of childish complainers.

lancelott posted on Sep 8 2006 at 10:48 PM said:

maybe you should have researched before you bought one? I havent bought one yet and I plan to but Ive researched the hell out of this system. you should have asked questions in the forums first before you bought anything. people here are willing to tell you the status of things. also theres the wiki. think before you do something next time.

Jeebus posted on Sep 9 2006 at 01:20 AM said:
Although im pretty happy with the emulation scene, I can see where he is coming from; sometimes the emulators do progress quite slowly.

Maybe this thread was created in idle innocence, but there's a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things. If you want to encourage a developer to continue with a project, why not let them know how much you appreciate it? Posting feedback in a related thread is a good start, or maybe even donate if you really want to support a project. You've got to remember that these people are doing it in their free time and most of them have real jobs and real lives to get on with.

No dev is going to be encouraged to work if we all complained about the lack of updates.

Besides, there have been a couple of good updates to emulators recently, including Gngeo and MAME. They might not be 20fps increases but I doubt you're likely to see that kind of improvement on many of the projects listed simply because there's only so much you can do with the hardware.

Be patient. I know it's painful waiting for updates to your favourite emulators, but you've got to be realistic.

EDIT: Sorry, that probably sounded like it was aimed at you, Jeebus. It wasn't :p

Guess what? This may come as a suprise to you, but the GP2X is only as good as the community behind it, and right now, all you're doing is putting hardworking developers down, who spend their free time creating these programs.

I expected this thread to be about the actual unit itself, but i'm really suprised people still take this rather selfish attitude. Like I said, the system is only as good as the community behind it, come back and complain when you've actually done something.

Deleted User posted on Sep 8 2006 at 06:59 PM said:

Piss-off, jerk.

Why? He was just stating his opinio.n You're allowed to do that in life.

It wasnt unjustified, it had decent grammar.

Youre the fool

In one respect it was not smart of lancelott to state an opinion against the gp2x on an obviously very pro gp2x site. (To me the like taking a lightning rod to thunder)

But on the other hand I agree with Deleted User. Telocou was very harsh on him

many of you guys seem to be very closed minded people who do not listens to others opinions instead you try to insult them and make them feel like their the idiots.

And this is suppose to be the nice community where people are understand of others?

Edited just some minor typos

*EDIT: for some reason my quote tags aren't working in this post... anyone know why?*

Boy there is a lot of misinformation in this post... before I pick it apart though, the salient message is this:

Why are you sitting around waiting for potential updates when the emulators are in a perfectly playable state *already*?

To address each issue more directly:

1) I can play 80% of games at 30+FPS with sound right now. As long as you can overclock to 250mhz, it's only your inability to use it properly that is holding you back. Instead of whining about the few games that don't work properly, why not enjoy the HUNDREDS that do?

2) It is far from "dead." Aside from Reesy & Pepone's excellent additions, Squidge is working on SquidgeSNES *SE* which will blow everyone's minds I'm sure.

1) That's a pissweak complaint; you must be a clumsy oaf if that's the case.

2) It's a fantastic emulator, as is fishyNES. Why bitch about inconsequential updates? If they come, fantastic, but if not, nothing's stopping you from enjoying NES goodness right now!

1) You clearly don't have the latest build, because the flickering (caused by the MMU hack) has long been fixed, along with several cyclone core bugs and the 6-button option bug.

2) "Good?" Please name a better Genesis emulator on any handheld platform, ever?

Er, and why can't you play it right now? It works great; I'm not sure what exactly you're waiting for in these mythical updates?

1) vobbo is busy on another very cool project (which will be too good for an ungrateful shit like you), but has stated he will continue to improve hu6280 as well. Patience not your strongest attribute, is it?

2) Again, hu6280 is AMAZING right now. My only issue with it is lack of save support, but that would be useless in most of the games I play on it anyway, so that doesn't stop me. Seriously, why deprive yourself of all the enjoyment that is available right now on this emulator?

That's because it's still an early beta and isn't yet meant for enjoyment, only beta-testing.

So you've played all 1152 games to death already? I envy your free time.

When would you be satisfied? When it supports 5,000 games that you never play? 10,000? I cannot fathom how something so amazing (and free, mind you) can be labeled "disappointing."

Or, I dunno, get off your arse and try harder. A lot of people have every rom running sweetly, so there's no reason you can't. I found it difficult too, but I eventually worked it out, and the rewards are worth it. Stunning emu.

I got this primarily for emulation and as far as emulation goes, I'm not terribly interested in systems before SMS or NES.

And this is the GP2X's fault how? If you don't have the nous to explore the heritage of c64, spectrum, etc, that's up to you. Lucky me; I find them massively enjoyable.

Homebrew isn't that appealing to me yet because there isn't a really killer app out there.

*sigh*

There are many excellent homebrew games and programs. I have over a dozen permanently on my SD and rotate several others. If you don't like any of them, or (more likely) haven't actually bothered trying them out, then that's your business.

The glass is always half empty for you, innit? It's a freaking firmware! It works fine. Extra features, sure that's great, but are they really necessary? How is a new firmware going to help get better emulation and games, which you state is the problem?

I check daily and it's rare for there to be any exciting news. Couple MAME releases, GNGeo and Gmenu2x updates in the past few weeks, but not much else.

1) There have been many more releases than that. Just because they don't interest YOU doesn't mean they don't exist. Don't try to belittle the devs because your tastes are so narrow and picky. Take your blinkers off.

2) Has it escaped your limited attention that there are a couple of big competitions running at the moment, so many new releases will be held back for those?

:ph34r:

I hope this rant has cleared up some of the misleading ignorance of the OP for those people researching the GP2X.

My only complaint about this console is that I have nowhere near enough time to play with it! I still have over ten new homebrew games/emu updates/apps on my HD from the last couple of weeks that I haven't had time to install yet...

Back