Peripherals?

abigsmurf

Hope that's spelt right :unsure:

With the recent tid bits that GPH have revealed about the GPX2, it got me wondering what extras people would want from the console.

So far they've announced a Video out cable (which hopefully will be composite so you can plug it into the front or side of most big modern TVs) and a carrying case but what else would people like? Bear in mind some things aren't possible like USB host for external hdd's :p

Two things that spring to mind are stands so you can prop it up on a desk and support for the wifi SD card, either someone programs a driver for it or GPH release a (hopefully cheap) CD which contains the drivers plus browsing software

TV-in. :) A screenshield made of transparent aluminum. Gloves to keep fingers warm. A car-kit, ie. a cigarrette lighter power cord. And a harness to... harness the beast to the back of the front seat of a car...

(Hey, that's a good idea?)

IR-remote. A boombox- think GPX2 with Mickey Mouse-ears. :)

How about... Touchscreen? :p
Well, so this post contains something useful: Mouse & keyboard for some real Linux and some ports might be an idea. Only problem is that that would hardly be portable...
I think I saw an infrared port, should be made compatible with PDA infrared keyboards.
A weird idea: a portable 640*480 screen about as big as the GPX2 itself to be connected to the TV out. Make it a touchscreen (connected over USB), give me a nice case to carry the combination around and it might just work. Hey, I like this idea more the longer I think about it... B)

A small touchpad, perhaps?

Eeeee, a wierd idea... A touchpad glueable to the back of the unit... It would be finger-usable, and translate movements to horizontally inverted cursor movement, for aplication. Might take getting used to... :lol:

Mouse and keyboard with infrared would be handy peripherals. In case you need to type a few documents and don't have a computer neirby. :p
But, the gpx2 isn't a pda, so touchscreen isn't necessery.

What about a controllerlike thing you could put the xgp2 in, and have it easier to controll. The zodiac had something like this (OrR should know what I mean), too bad there are no pictures of it left.

Jarska333 posted on Aug 31 2005 at 04:53 PM said:

Eeeee, a wierd idea... A touchpad glueable to the back of the unit... It would be finger-usable, and translate movements to horizontally inverted cursor movement, for aplication. Might take getting used to... :lol:

Heheh - sounds cool as a concept. No idea how well it'd work, but would be interesting for adding extra buttons as needed, wrtiting, etc.

Personally, I'd like to see it compatible with one of those projected keyboard gizmos I seem to remember seeing on Slashdot or somewhere (ok, not long enough ago for it to be even approaching buyable, but I can dream).

Certainly an official keyboard would be cool, since, with the EXT plug on the side, I suspect the chatboard cable may be a little small...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not in any specific order :

1. TV-IN would be cool. Via EXT port to RF adapter or signal recieving device. But not really necessary.

2. Controller adapter via EXT port. It would be friggin awsome to be able to use PS2 or Saturn pads on GPX2 while playing NeoGeo Emu on TV thru TV-OUT function.

But as TV-OUT uses EXT port they'll need to design some split wire which one goes to TV and the other one to pads..

3. Two-player or multiplayer support via EXT. Would be friggin awsome to play, again, NeoGeo fighters with your friends via EXT connection. multiplayer thru radio signals like in GP32 would be cool too.

4. Cam addon: so we can take pictures with GPX2!! lol

5. Not a peripheral but...: Battery Hot Swap ability - game goes into a sleep mode when low in battery, still keeping all your datas and stuff, and allows you to change your battery one at a time. In sleep mode, GPX2 will still run with 1 battery for short period of time like 2~3 minutes so users can hot swap batteries without turning the unit off or losing their saved game.

6. Keyboard/mouse : There are already many mini-USB keyboards and keyboards for PDA's out there, so support for them VIA EXT or usb (though no host) would be nice. Same thing with the mouse... (at 320X240 rofl)

7. Ability to output videos VIA TV-OUT at their native resolution, not the screen resolution. : It would blow everyone out of their mind!! :D I think this is a very good possibility. It actually takes more hardware power to resize the large rez to low rez with real time compressor and display them, so sending original file signals to TV-OUT may be possible. I'm not a hardware man but I'd like to see it happen.

8. Can't think of more. :D

Jarska333 posted on Aug 31 2005 at 06:53 PM said:

Now THAT is an awesome idea... B) Maybe it would even be possible as a temporary attachment since glue is not good. How about this: A seperate screen that you can stick on top of the GPX2, on the back to work as you described or on the front so that it works like a case to protect the normal screen. With some truly innovative design work this might be possible... :D

@Draken: Depends on how bad the ergonomis are. The Zodiac was very thin but too thin to play for a long time so such a thing was useful. We'll have to hold the GPX2 in our hands to decide if we need one of those... Picture at http://gp32z.com/images/products/product_commandplay.jpg . gp32z.com has them on the website but out of stock. I wonder if they haven't got them, yet, or if they are sold out again... I hope I'll still get one... :(

@Tobriand: All reviews I read about those projection keyboards said they were crap... I don't think they are useful.

polooo2 posted on Aug 31 2005 at 05:13 PM said:

17. Ability to output videos VIA TV-OUT at their native resolution, not the screen resolution. : It would blow everyone out of their mind!! :D I think this is a very good possibility. It actually takes more hardware power to resize the large rez to low rez with real time compressor and display them, so sending original file signals to TV-OUT may be possible. I'm not a hardware man but I'd like to see it happen.

Craig said that it DOES display videos at their native res on tv-out . It scales automatically when displayed on the built in screen if it is higher res.

Draken posted on Aug 31 2005 at 06:59 PM said:
What about a controllerlike thing you could put the xgp2 in, and have it easier to controll. The zodiac had something like this (OrR should know what I mean), too bad there are no pictures of it left.

I think there are a bajillion of those for the GBA, some with extra battery and speakers... :lol:

compmaniak4qi.jpg

:D

Yes, subwoofer add-on is a must. B)

I would like to add wifi internaly and be able to surf the web via hotspots.

A cable that had composite and s-video on it.

A way to use those infra-red keyboards would ROCK! I could type up papers on it and how about a way to use a printer?!?!?

Idk a built in tv tuner and 128mb of ram!!! JK JK.

Bluetooth. Wireless play against palm's and pocket pc's (if apps were written for all os's to support it of course), internet access via pc or phone, gps, file swapping, all from one lovely flashing blue light :). What more could anyone want.

I'll try to get my uncle to someway hookup a wi-fi connection on the inside and add an extra 64MB of RAM(he's a hardware engineer hahaha :p )

P.S. Before anybody asks the extra ram is for "Garou: Mark of the Wolves"!!!

DaveC posted on Aug 31 2005 at 06:14 PM said:

17. Ability to output videos VIA TV-OUT at their native resolution, not the screen resolution. : It would blow everyone out of their mind!! :D I think this is a very good possibility. It actually takes more hardware power to resize the large rez to low rez with real time compressor and display them, so sending original file signals to TV-OUT may be possible. I'm not a hardware man but I'd like to see it happen.

Craig said that it DOES display videos at their native res on tv-out . It scales automatically when displayed on the built in screen if it is higher res.

Delicious!

By any chance you know if GPX2 screen shuts itself off while using TV-OUT to save battery? Would be nice.

polooo2 posted on Sep 1 2005 at 03:41 AM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 31 2005 at 06:14 PM said:

Delicious!

By any chance you know if GPX2 screen shuts itself off while using TV-OUT to save battery? Would be nice.

That he didn't say. I just hope that the TV-out supports RGB SCART or something like that. No dodgy composite or RF for me.

DaveC posted on Aug 31 2005 at 06:01 PM said:
No dodgy composite or RF for me.
What about the remaining 99% of us who have no choice but to use RCA composite?

Ranma13 posted on Sep 1 2005 at 04:12 AM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 31 2005 at 06:01 PM said:
No dodgy composite or RF for me.
What about the remaining 99% of us who have no choice but to use RCA composite?

If the unit outputs in RGB there can be a video decoder in the cable accessory that outputs those formats, as well as s-video, component etc.

If it comes out already composite you can never get anything better.

I would like to see an internal CMOS clock which will allos the unit to keep track of real time, and allow it to wake on timer events (PDS type functions).

Extending this idea, allowing other 'wake-on-event' control, such as wake on button press, wake on SD card insert etc. Might be useful for something, just can't really think what yet :)

Other than that, a thumb operated trackball that can be clipped on above the D-Pad would be nice.

Back