Perfect camera for Pyra/Pandora?

So, what are you suggesting, exactly?  Something to be built in, or as a good accessory?

From a brief glance, it doesn't seem to be something that can be built in. 

-Glyph Reader

As an accessory. I'm going to keep it and a wire in my pocket. And when I want to take a picture, just plug it in.

One third of a megapixel. That's not a very good camera. It's small enough, but you pay for that in terms of quality.

Well, that's the same resolution as my Sony Mavica, and that takes decent pictures. It's the quality of the sensor, and this one has the same technology. Plus it's not expensive.

It's not going to look great compared to a brand new digital camera, but it should be fine for simple pictures and video/Skype.

Last edited by a moderator:
One third of a megapixel. That's not a very good camera. It's small enough, but you pay for that in terms of quality.
The Raspberry Pi Camera module is much better in comparison. 5 Mega pixels, and decent picture quality (not stellar but good enough for outdoors). And it's dirty cheap.  

The Raspberry Pi Camera module is much better in comparison. 5 Mega pixels, and decent picture quality (not stellar but good enough for outdoors). And it's dirty cheap.  
But it uses a weird ribbon cable interface that the Pandora and Pyra don't have.

Yeah. I mean, iCubie is the only webcam small enough I can find. It'll do for me, but most people probably want something more.

I definitely plan to mod in a camera (or two with a switch maybe) on my pyra. I just hope the necessary pins will be made available.

If I could get ahold of a Pelican sensor it would be awesome, but it looks like the only place they're going to be available is in next model Nokia phones.

The problem with that Pelican cam from a hacker perspective is that software stack you need to do anything fancy with it. I'll be surprised if that's put on a website anywhere, even built for Android or Winpho or whatever.

The Pelican is one of the most promising new camera techs for phones, and I hear a lot of people are looking forward to using it. It's supposed to be released in first half of 2015 and I'm sure there was talk of a purchasable module. No reason they shouldn't do that since they could gain quite a bit of money having one of the only lagless point and shoot no focus camera modules also available to custom electronics hobbyists ^_­^

Maybe if they release just the module they'll have the necessary software available.

If they only have android software stack could we use that in some way?

The Pelican is one of the most promising new camera techs for phones, and I hear a lot of people are looking forward to using it. It's supposed to be released in first half of 2015 and I'm sure there was talk of a purchasable module. No reason they shouldn't do that since they could gain quite a bit of money having one of the only lagless point and shoot no focus camera modules also available to custom electronics hobbyists ^_­^

Maybe if they release just the module they'll have the necessary software available.

If they only have android software stack could we use that in some way?
If they do, they'd likely make it open source. After all, can't use it without the hardware.

Back