Release pepviewer

Skadus

Still Fresh
I've ported a SDL-based comic viewer a friend of mine originally developed for the psp a few years ago. The sourcecode i’ve got is kind of an in-between version which was never finished as he lost interest.

At the moment the viewer only supports jpg an png files and the menu-layouts and settings aren’t really optimized for the pandora, but I thought I release it anyway, to get some feedback.

I just thought that comix with all its features just isn’t very user-friendly on the pandora.

pepviewer

screenshot2uz.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice I recently downloaded Fables (since it is going to be a new telltale game :D ) will try it sometime (when real life allows me to read some comics)

Oh didnt read about the png jpg, I have cbr file

This is really nice thanks. Tried it last night and its got great presentation aswell. I felt it might benefit from keys to access the functions that Y makes available without leaving the current image, thing like rotate and fit to width etc and perhaps a button that once a choice has been made for the best fit, that all subsequent images/pages are rendered the same way. Otherwise your having to access the Y menu per page. Its great otherwise.

cbr/cbz support is something i really want to implement when i find the time, there doesnt't seem to be a good api description for libunrar. for the moment it's of course always possible to unpack the archives in a folder ;)

@mariopandio

you can make this settings permanently in the Main Menu -> Settings screen.

the settings screen has some psp specific options like cpu-speed and precaching, but the rest works

I'm somewhat shocked to find this program alive again. I fell in love with it on the PSP but had some minor issues I wanted to see fixed, but lacking responses on the blogs and such affiliated with the program I really just ran out of ways to attempt contact with the developer.

On the Pandora I could see falling in love all over again, though don't think the ability to play music matters as much (thanks to being able to run separate programs). But I will have to wait until this has cbr/cbz support before I can get in any real testing.

Anyways, thanks for this. I hope to see this developed, any chance the source code could be released in case you drop the project (like the original author) and others could potentially pick it up?

This looks very nice. Are you interested in outside help? If so, I'll give it some exposure on Pandorapress.
Thank's for the offer, but i really want to do it by myself as a project to get into the whole pandora coding/crosscompiling thing. Of course you can mention the program if you want ;)

Thats one reason why i won't release any source code at the moment. I just don't know how much time i will find besides my bachelor thesis and seeing someone else doing the whole work a lot faster would just kill my motivation.

The other reason is that i don't have the permission from pensoffsky (the original author) to release the sources.

Did never really understand it myself why he stopped the project and didn't make it open. It's really a shame, because a few days ago we searched for the sources of older program versions, which were actually released on the psp, but couldn't find them.

But i don't think he is against it in general, so i will try to make the program open source if i get it in good shape or even if i drop it.

This is really nice! There are precious few such programs on the Pandora that use just the game buttons, and don't expect you to use the mouse. I think this is currently the only one.

Is there a way to zoom images, currently? MyPaint uses the D and F keys for that, and that seems to work quite well. EDIT: Never mind; I see that A&B are used for zooming.

The text menu at the beginning could be made bigger to fill up the Pandora's screen.

It would also be really awesome if music support was added since, again, I don't think there's a program currently out there that's as intuitive as this, and uses just the game buttons (especially the L/R buttons to change tracks, that would be very useful with the Pandora in a closed position).

wow, I think this is the best viewer on the Pandora right now! Thx! It needs some tweaking of the standard settings, but afterwards it's just a charm!

Some bugs I did find though:

# the caching of pictures starts only after the first manual picture transition (R-key).

# the "stretch to screen height" doesn't work as expected. It still obays a vertical offset. 30px is the minimum here, so there is no true "stretch to screen height" atm but a "stretch to height + offset" twice.

The bookmarking and commenting thing I didn't really get.. how is it supposed to work?

I just found the existence of this program :eek: THIS IS AWESOME !! The BEST viewer I ever seen !! Minimal and FAST !!

If it only was able to read compressed archives...

I hope that someone is still working on this :unsure:

I just found the existence of this program :eek: THIS IS AWESOME !! The BEST viewer I ever seen !! Minimal and FAST !!

If it only was able to read compressed archives...

I hope that someone is still working on this :unsure:

Looks interesting... maybe it should go on the repo :)

Back