PCSX - Saga frontier font issues, stuttering, freezes

flashlightbuff

Still Fresh
For every 20++ perfectly working games i keep finding the weird ones that require special fixes.

The defaultgpu plugin will start the game, but you can only hear sound and there is absolutely no video. In fact the text at the bottom stating emulator is loading is stuck on the screen.

If you select any of the other gpu options, you get heavy stuttering in video/sound.

The other gpu plugins mostly work, except the game appears to use a strange way of displaying fonts. It will display text/paragraph in the middle of the screen, but then that text will not fade away, the new text will try to overlap the existing text, making some very strange incoherent sentences/sentence fragments. Eventually the game/emulator will freeze after the opening story/text requiring a pandora button/switch reboot (i couldnt get it to force quit holding pandora button)

Try this (with default GPU plugin):

• select "extra stuff" -> "run bios"
  • then "extra stuff" -> "change cd image" and load the game there

It should run right now; do you still get the hang? I played Emelia until I got control of her, seemed to be fine although I don't have much idea how exactly the game should look.

This was a strange game, but had really complex story mechanics for its time.

I never totally finished it, i am gonna replay this one when i receive my 1ghz panda :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your trick worked beautifully Notaz, no issues with framerate, or fronts or stuttering using default plugins and the change cd trick.

Back