PC Engine ROMs: Top Picks?

Duddyroar

Website
www.vc-reviews.com
Can anyone recommend any decent PC Engine ROMs? There's a few that I'm after but I was wondering if anyone else to point me in the direction of other gems. Are there any games that emu better than others? Are there any problem games that aren't worth downloading?

Also, I've noticed that there are several versions of R-Type. I'm guessing that the 'Complete' version is the one to go for.

Thanks again, guys! :)

cazssiew posted on May 21 2003 said:
yeah, make that Bomberman '94
y'know that!

prefer the one player mode in the original Bomberman though (but i only really play it for the battle mode anyway)

I can't get any of the Bonk games to work on mine though (maybe i should try the Jap PC Kid versions?)

I also regularly play:

Parasol Stars
Gunhed
Columns
Puzznic
Super Star Soldier
Outrun

R-Type 1 & 2 are essentially the same game except that R-Type 1 only has the first 4 levels of the game and R-Type 2 has the next 4....R-Type complete is the whole game, but really, i don't think i'll be able to get from level 1 to 8 these days :p

Last edited by a moderator:
For me that Puzznic conversion has one floor that makes it irritating to play. You cannot hold onto the falling block with the cursor, which makes for slower play. ;)

i like these:

Kyuukyuuki Tiger - (forgive spelling) much sweeter than star soldier/gunhead IMHO

Galaga '88 - (if not 1st game loaded does not seem to work)

New Adventure - (brilliant update of Wonderboy, and not the crappy Wonderboy III)

PC Kid - (i really need save states for this as playing through the early levels repeatedly is getting boring)

Salamander - pretty diffiuclt but good conversion

Devil Crush? - theres a few pinball games that are pretty good

Kato & Ken, the Doraemon games... there's loads more but my memory fails me, i have them written down in my little book @ home :p

Nickmon posted on May 21 2003 said:
Also Gunhead, PC Kid series, Croyoon, W-Ring
Gunhead works on the 2nd level for you??? How?? Where?? Why?? When?? It just becomes boxes then re-starts the GP for me!? <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Downloaded all of the ones recommended, it's so cool to be able to play these games. Brings back many happy memories of the classic early 90's era.

Couple of probs -

Can't get Parasol Stars to work, think it's a bad download because if I try to extract the file WinRar alerts me of an unexpected archive end. I'll try downloading it again.

Street Fighter II Champion Edtion is really corrupted, I'm assuming that this is true for everyone else? I know it was the biggest PC Engine HuCard game, so that might be why GPEngine has problems with it.

The only touble with downloading all these games is that I don't bother to play them all enough! You get spoilt when there's so much on offer...

Very very true...

If there's one bad thing about a GP32, its that there's so many games that the impulse is to try them all rather than to spend a decent ammount of time playing any one of them. So of course, once you've tried them all, you don't feel the same need to go and play some more. That said, if there's one bad thing a console could have, too much choice is way better than too little :)

I've got:

1943 Kai
Bomberman '94
Ninja Spirit
Ninja Warriors
Ninja Gaiden
Salamander
Parodius
Gradius
Blazing Lazers (jams up after 1st level)
R-Type
R-Type II

yeah that gameis my favorite, even when i had my turbo 16 & express. Ninja Spirit i mean

Tiger Road is really funny - it's a mix between Golden Axe and Jump'n'Run.

By far my favourite GPEngine game is Final Match Tennis. So addictive and the gameplay has a lot of depth.

Back