Release Pandora-Vectrex : Vectrex Emulator For Pandora V1.1.0

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
pandora-vectrex.jpg

Hi All,

VecX emulates the Vectrex game console on systems such as Linux and Windows.
It has been written by Valavan Manohararajah.

Pandora-Vectrex is a port on Pandora of my latest caanoo port version of VecX.

What's new compared to original version :

- Major speed improvements :
+ 6809 emulation
+ vector rendering
+ remove vector cash (buggy and time consuming)
- Sound emulation completly rewritten and inspired
from 8910 driver of xmame.
- The rotate 90' view is now much faster and it is used
as default render mode.
- Save state modification, it is now faster to save state
(but previously saved games are not compatible with this
new version !)
- Add .vec and .gam file extention as valid rom extention
- Add option to change color between gray and blue
- Add option to move the screen up and down in normal render mode

**** UPDATE ****

a new version with overlay support is available.

Source code and PND are avaiable on my blog as always : http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/

Enjoy,

Zx.

Great news. Played the Wiz version via ginge so looking forward to trying this out.

Thanks for all you work

Thanks ZX for the nice emulator. It runs nice, thanks.

I think there may be a bit of a sound bug to look at some sounds are odd, try Berzerk there is a strange buzzing in the background.

Thanks again for this.

I'm less impressed with a Vectrex emulator (cool as it is) and more impressed with more Pandora output by ZX81.

Does this mean your Pandora has been fixed/replaced/self-regenerated? :D

DaveC said:
I think there may be a bit of a sound bug to look at some sounds are odd, try Berzerk there is a strange buzzing in the background.

According to Something I Read On The Internetz(tm), that was a problem of the original hardware (insufficient shielding between the monitor cable and the audio circuit), so perhaps it is just very, very faithful emulation? :p :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have played with a real Vectrex often, there is one here at a local shop thats awesome (subotron), and I just love this machine .. was always sooo jealous as a teenager whenever I saw one, unused, in someones room ..

I had a Vectrex back in the day (or rather my brother did) - it had some great games - Spike, Bedlam etc

I haven't got my Pandora yet - but this is great news zx-81 - well done :)

Looking forward to playing this when I eventually get my Pandora :)

Gruso said:
I've never played Vectrex games before. Now I want a real one!
Yeah, emulation doesn't compare to the real thing. I actually have a huge Vectrex collection(maybe 97-100% complete). It has seen some really great homebrews over the last 10 years, and many more come out yearly. I would recommend anyone who likes the emulation slightly should go out and get a real machine. They go fairly cheap on Ebay for a non-boxed unit. It was way ahead of it's time.

On a side note, how well does this emu run? Is analog control supported? I believe we had one on the GP2X, but it never ran more than one game, and did it very poorly. I just contacted Jackie yesterday, as I was waiting to have my repeaired unit returned with my remaining order, but I said I was getting tired of waiting :p Vectrex, Notaz PSX, whats next? I need my Pandora YESTERDAY!

Chris

EDIT:By the way, thanks ZX you always deliver the goods!

This is good fun! I actually usually do not go for the pre-NES systems - They're usually a bit to clunky for me to get into - but I've never tried Vectrex before and I must say my quick try did at least not put me off :)

All hail ZX-81! :)

Gruntfuggly said:
You need to try Protector on the Vectrex to see what it was capable of... probably one of the most awesome bits of homebrew ever...

yes, that's one of the best game for vectrex :)

I guess I will try this when I have my Pandora. I had the honor to see and play onto a real Vectrex Console, the pixel-free, bright and razor sharp Vector-lines are still an eyecatcher, totaly different game feeling than onto "normal" Consoles. I wonder how this is emulated to match the original. The high res Pandora Screen sureley will help I guess. :)

Oh, does this Emulator also emulates these colored Overlay Foils that came with each game?

I concur, Protector is freakin' awesome!

I've just spent the last hour completely freaking out at the MASSIVE library of Vectrex games I'm now able to play .. wow! This is a *great* Emulator for those of us trying to re-live the lost glory of the 80's machines ..

Back