Pandora stuck in a reboot loop

LolCattes

Still Fresh
Hi there.

I only just got my Pandora and I still don't know much about how to use it, so please bear with me if this seems like a bit of a noob's question.

My Pandora is stuck in a reboot loop. When you switch it on it'll boot to the login screen, you can login, Xfce pops up the square blue "loading" display in the middle of the screen, then you get the Xfce display with status bar, timers and desktop background... and as soon as that's all visible, in less than half a second, it reboots.

Again and again and again.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how I can stop it? All I've done with the system since I received it is to put the CAP32 CPC emulator on my SD card and run that once or twice.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like what happens when the battery is too low. Tried plugging it in to charge?

It's either in need of charging, as Stan suggests, or your battery is not seated properly - this behaviour can result from either of these.

Try re-seating your battery as described in the included Quick Start Guide, and if this doesn't work, leave it plugged in for a while.

Thanks for your help, guys. It does it even when it's connected to the charger (yes, the charger is plugged in ;) )

The "included" Quick Start guide wasn't included in my case :(

Oh, also, in terms of leaving it plugged in, I want to do this but the only screen where it's stable is the "login" screen, and this just leaves the backlight on permanently which I don't want to do. Is there any way to switch the backlight off but leave the unit charging? Shutting it doesn't work, the screen stays on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help, guys. It does it even when it's connected to the charger (yes, the charger is plugged in ;) )

I THINK this was fixed with a more recent OS... what HotFix are you running?

Oh, also, in terms of leaving it plugged in, I want to do this but the only screen where it's stable is the "login" screen, and this just leaves the backlight on permanently which I don't want to do. Is there any way to switch the backlight off but leave the unit charging? Shutting it doesn't work, the screen stays on...

That's an easy one. Either close the lid or turn down brightness with the keyboard until it's off.

Closing the lid is easier though ;)

I THINK this was fixed with a more recent OS... what HotFix are you running?
It says "HotFix 5" on the loading screen.

Hm, then it wasn't fixed yet. Need to check that.

That's an easy one. Either close the lid or turn down brightness with the keyboard until it's off.

Closing the lid is easier though ;)
Neither of these have any effect when on the Login screen... are they supposed to?

What login screen are you talking about?

The bootmenu (that appears if you press R while switching on) or the graphical blue login screen with the nice Pandora background?

The bootmenu (that appears if you press R while switching on) or the graphical blue login screen with the nice Pandora background?

The graphical blue login screen. I didn't know you could press R while switching on to get a boot menu.

The graphical blue login screen. I didn't know you could press R while switching on to get a boot menu.

Both the brightness up / down buttons (press Fn together with them) as well as closing the display should work there.

Both the brightness up / down buttons (press Fn together with them) as well as closing the display should work there.
I just checked again, and no, for me neither of these (Fn + brightness up/down buttons, closing the lid) have any effect on the screen backlight while on that screen. Is this a fault?

However, after the unit's been on charge for about 3.5 hours, I tried logging in again and, success! It works :D Came straight up with a "low battery" dialog box, but at least it's not constantly resetting itself any more.

I've emailed Open Pandora Ltd about the missing Quick Start Guide, hopefully they can send me one out. In the meantime, is this what you meant by reseating the battery?

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back